no mesoamerican religion?

vanDietsland

Chieftain
So it seems that there will be no mesoamerican religion. Why is that? What are your thoughts about this?

No Mesoamerican religion (i.e., no Aztec and no Maya since I don't think they were directly connected), no Incan religion, no Mississippian religion, no Sioux religion, no Haida religion (and other Totem cultures), no Pueblo religion, no Greek religion, no Norse religion, no Sumerian religion, no Jana'ism, etc.

You can't possibly represent every religion in the game. I think there were plenty that were just as interesting if not more interesting than the Aztec religion.

I think given the amount of information we have on the Mayan Faith and that we have the mayan scriptures (Popol Vuh) it would have made the most sense. Too bad, but you can't accomodate everything.

I think Tengriism (Johan de Witt, that's what the bird symbol is) is an odd choice. It doesn't seem to have the same organization compared to the other founded religions.

That being said, all the religions they added are current religions. I'm not sure who still worships Quezalcoatl.

Well, if I had a choice... then yeah, I'd totally be worshiping Quetzalcoatl or a solar deity. I mean it's meant to be a fun game in the end.

But there could be some clutter though...

I think Tengriism (Johan de Witt, that's what the bird symbol is) is an odd choice. It doesn't seem to have the same organization compared to the other founded religions.
Ah, I see. Well, 2K stated that they added two odd religions. Probably just for fun.

Well, if I had a choice... then yeah, I'd totally be worshiping Quetzalcoatl or a solar deity. I mean it's meant to be a fun game in the end.

But there could be some clutter though...
Perhaps you can change the name in-game? Otherwise, more religions can (probably) be added through mods.

Also... You can convert to Quetzalcoatl in real life if it means that much to you ;)

Ah, I see. Well, 2K stated that they added two odd religions. Probably just for fun.

Zoroastrianism is definitely the other 'odd' religion. I'm guessing the second to last one in the screenshot, next to Zoroastrianism, is some type of animist-new-world-religion that covers the bases for the 4 Native American Civs.

There is no animist religion (the closest is the Mongolian tengriism religion). However, the way they describe the pantheon (as opposed to organized religion) seems decently close. It seems possible to develop a spiritual pantheon involving animals as deities.

There is no animist religion (the closest is the Mongolian tengriism religion). However, the way they describe the pantheon (as opposed to organized religion) seems decently close. It seems possible to develop a spiritual pantheon involving animals as deities.

Yes. My limited understanding with what we've got so far is that the early-game "Pantheon" is by way of representing the Hellenic, Mesoamerican, and Norse, etc., polytheisms, as well as various other pagan and animist beliefs. In fact we've already heard about being able to pick "Gods of the Sea" and "Stone Circle" beliefs to suit your starting conditions. This is a fair enough representation in my view.

Plus, you can rename your organised religion to whatever you like.

Yeah, I'm impressed with the thought they've put into religion. While it still seems like a useful game mechanic, it also feels like it does a decent job of representing the changes in religion that have developed throughout history.

Much better than Buddhism always being founded before Hinduism ;)

Animism and the GreeK, Norse and other pagan religions are represented by the early pantheon beliefs, but it is really disappointing that there's nothing representing a major native american religin even if they're quite obscure and hardly have any followers now.

They really could have left out Tengriism instead.

I personally think they should have left Tengriism out just because 10 is a much better number than 11.

There is still plenty to be revealed about the Beliefs.

I suspect that core tenets of other religions will be represented in the Pantheon list.

Also, It appears that you can rename your religion, much as you can rename a city. Just make the name what you like, adopt the pantheon of your choice and BOOM, your own personal cult sweeps the globe.

I really like this system. I hope there is a Fertility Goddess pantheon belief. That will be a fun concept to base a religion around. I will elevate Spring Equinox and Harvest Feasts to be the ultimate holidays of the year and wait till you hear my ideas on 'celebrating' Valentine's Day!

There is still plenty to be revealed about the Beliefs.

I suspect that core tenets of other religions will be represented in the Pantheon list.

Also, It appears that you can rename your religion, much as you can rename a city. Just make the name what you like, adopt the pantheon of your choice and BOOM, your own personal cult sweeps the globe.

I really like this system. I hope there is a Fertility Goddess pantheon belief. That will be a fun concept to base a religion around. I will elevate Spring Equinox and Harvest Feasts to be the ultimate holidays of the year and wait till you hear my ideas on 'celebrating' Valentine's Day!

Not only can religions be renamed but there is only a certain number of beliefs that you can adopt for your religion. So your right, rename the religion and adopt the beliefs you feel are in line with the religion you envision and roll with that. A simple mod will also change the symbol no doubt.

With the religions implemented there is going to be a wide range of different types of beliefs, adding new religions probably would necessitate further beliefs, and there is only so many possibilities.

Well Tengriism is a religion that worships animals, spirits, and the natural world. So it's similar in concept to Mesoamerican religions, even if it isn't from the same location. It's main difference is that people (albeit an extremely tiny minority) still follow Tengriism today. Which is probably why they chose it.

I don't think the Aztecs worshiped animals, unless you count one very specific feathered serpent.

Top Bottom