Great Admirals' Special Ability?

Minifish

Chieftain
So far in Civ V, every great person has had some sort of special ability - Great Artists can build landmarks, Great Engineers can build manufactories, Great Generals can build citadels etc.

As well as presumably providing a positive combat modifier for nearby ships, what do you think the Great Admiral's ability will be?

Someone suggested a Seafort last week. That seems like a fine plan to me, but it would have to be on land adjacent to the sea.

So far in Civ V, every great person has had some sort of special ability - Great Artists can build landmarks, Great Engineers can build manufactories, Great Generals can build citadels etc.

As well as presumably providing a positive combat modifier for nearby ships, what do you think the Great Admiral's ability will be?

Build Coastal Fortress. ?Can be built in neutral territory, allows ships inside it to heal as if in friendly territory? damages enemy ships within distance 2. (can't be entered by enemy land units if a ship is present). Ships get a bonus to defense.

I'd also say Coastal Fort. Built on land tile adjacent to sea inside your territory. Harms naval units. Basically, it would work exactly like a Citadel, but against ships.

I'd also say Coastal Fort. Built on land tile adjacent to sea inside your territory. Harms naval units. Basically, it would work exactly like a Citadel, but against ships.

As a bonus... it could be able to act like a Canal. (allow ships to enter land tile without building city)

Well, historic coastal forts were not ports. I wouldn't mix functions like that.

Does a citadel next to coast tiles no damage to enemy ships?

I think an Admiral would provide additional Food to coast tiles, because the other Great People already provide Gold, Culture, Production & Science. I'm just not sure what to call such an improvement. :p

But I'm really hoping it can construct a canal on land, allowing ships to pass trough.

I think canals as a Great Admiral improvement would be really great. It would limit the amount of canals you can build and make them expensive in a way. So for the canal that would be a great mechanism.

However, for the Great Admiral it seems like a misfit ability to have. A canal is an engineering project, not a millitary one. It doesn't match at all. I think the coastal fort is much beter suited for them.

I like the idea of canals, but Admirals and canals don't necessarily go together.

I like the idea of canals, but Admirals and canals don't necessarily go together.

They don't go together at all if you ask me. Although it is a pity, a canal would be a great GP improvement there just isn't a GP that suits it.

My guess would be that it could be expended in a city which builds a naval academy and all naval units built there have a 15-20% attack bonus, or speed bonus. I don't think a costal fort really makes much sense because that would still be a land based fort, so the GG should be building it.

I think Great Canal should be a World Wonder. When you complete it, you select its route. No more than 2 tiles long and no mountains.

A GAd could build a Sea Fortress that extends its ZoC out 2-3 tiles, preventing enemy ships from passing quickly.

My guess would be that it could be expended in a city which builds a naval academy and all naval units built there have a 15-20% attack bonus, or speed bonus. I don't think a costal fort really makes much sense because that would still be a land based fort, so the GG should be building it.

I'm not so sure, in the end, naval combat still always resolves around land. Very little naval combat is actually performed in the middle of an empty ocean. It often revolves around cities, coasts or islands. A coastal fort makes alot of sense in this respect.

Plus that would make it an oddball compared to every other Great Person.

A coastal fort hardly sets the Admiral apart from the General. I'd suggest that the Admiral can boost the XP of one naval unit massively as his "one-off" ability (basically making a flagship) while normally increasing the speed and attack of naval units near him (including defensively embarked units).

Or maybe the Great Admiral could be a military combat unit (flagship that can attack and defend) which also boosts the attack of units around him. :D

Why should it be set apart from the Great General? The parallel is pretty obvious and straight forward.

Well, having a costal fort constructed by a Great Admiral that a ship can't enter seems really strange... and if a ship can enter it... then a ship can move through it.

I really like the Flagship idea though

Does a citadel next to coast tiles no damage to enemy ships?

I think an Admiral would provide additional Food to coast tiles, because the other Great People already provide Gold, Culture, Production & Science. I'm just not sure what to call such an improvement. :p

But I'm really hoping it can construct a canal on land, allowing ships to pass trough.

Yea Citadels next to the coast do damage to ships already... I am not exactly sure if I am happy with a Seafort.

Players in multiplayer have used one/two citadels near their cap when I rush them with Ships of the line to damage them if they have a narrow pasageway to defend.

Its harder to raze a coastal Citadel than it would be to raze a Seafort. Ships are already so fast moving that it would become too easy to raze. I suggest a wider influence for a Seafort:

Defense Bonus:, 2 or 3 damage per turn within 3 tiles of the fort, tiles up to 3 spaces away cost 3 movement points to enter (that way Seaports become easier to protect).

We don't have much for sea tiles in most cities, so here's what I think would work.

Floating Drydock
It's a cross between Manufactory and Citadel, built on the water.
2 hammers (3 with harbor, 4 with harbor and seaport)
+50% defense
Deals 10 damage to enemy naval units (same as only 1 damage if hitpoints were still 10)

With Freedom Finisher (if it doesn't change).
4 hammers (5 with harbor, 6 with harbor and seaport)
+100% defense
Deals 20 damage to enemy naval units (same as only 2 damage if hitpoints were still 10)

Why should it be set apart from the Great General? The parallel is pretty obvious and straight forward.
Because variety is the spice of life, and having 2 great people do almost exactly the same thing is dull. The reason why different Great People types exist is usually because they all do something different. That's traditionally how it's been in the Civ series.

Top Bottom