Mercury news article March 24th 2012

Rob (R8XFT)

Ancient Briton
Retired Moderator
First off, here's the link.

This article mentions Polynesia as one of the nine new civilizations - either they're wrong (as Polynesia has been a DLC), or that DLC is included in the pack as an extra civ other than the nine new ones (we already know Spain is included in this way). Perhaps the UA is changing?

A few other points I noticed (perhaps they have been in other reviews and I missed them):
  • One of the Celts' special units called the Pictish Warriors earn faith points by killing foes. Those faith points can be used to build temples and other structures.
    (so by them saying "one of" does it imply the Celts have two UUs and no UB?)
  • Players can choose among 50 to 60 different beliefs that offer gameplay boosts such as Ancestor Worship, which raises culture for every shrine in city, and Ceremonial Burial, which makes citizens happy.
  • For example, say China was planning a sneak attack against Singapore (CS). As the U.S., American spies may have detected the plan. That puts players in an interesting position where they can let the assault take place or tip off the Singaporeans to earn favour. (So the espionage part of the game allows us to tip off city states as well as other civs about a rival's plans).

Based on the fact that they didn't mention byzantium i'm going to assume it was a typo.

I wouldn't base it being a typo on that fact; I've never seen Byzantium actually named in the list of civs that the nine include (in articles), but we know it's there from other sections of the articles, such as a screenshot, talk of Theodora and later references to it being able to have a sixth faith (as per the screenshot).

I'd be quite ticked off if Polynesia would be one of the nine 'new' civs :(

Yes; if they have decided to add DLC civilisations into the expansion then that is fine, but if they have then added them into the totals as if they are equal to entirely new content, then that is not good at all.

• One of the Celts' special units called the Pictish Warriors earn faith points by killing foes. Those faith points can be used to build temples and other structures.
    (so by them saying "one of" does it imply the Celts have two UUs and no UB?)
Given they said Polynesia is one of the new civs, I wouldn't count on it.
I wouldn't base it being a typo on that fact; I've never seen Byzantium actually named in the list of civs that the nine include (in articles), but we know it's there from other sections of the articles, such as a screenshot, talk of Theodora and later references to it being able to have a sixth faith (as per the screenshot).
I believe it was in the initial Take-Two press release?

It wasn't; at least it wasn't listed in terms of "there are nine new civs including...."

It may have been alluded to within the body of the article, but I'm talking about specifically being listed in the manner above.

Ah yep, you're right. The extra one listed in the Take Two announcement (as opposed to the 2K announcement) was Carthage.

I'm fairly sure Ed Beach directly said in an interview though something along the lines of, '...three of the new civs we're adding - Carthage, the Huns and Byzantines...' which is pretty close to being listed in the truest sense.

I wouldn't go upset, just because of an uninformed or sloppy article...

This was second or third hand information, and very poorly written.

Check out the homepage of "Mercury News". I'd take everything they say with a grain of salt, because they're clearly not a gaming website. My guess is the person who wrote that article never played Civilization before (or at least very little), and therefore had no clue that Polynesia was already in the game. Same goes for more or less everything they say. The author also says that "Religion is the more fascinating element of the two. It acts as a conduit for culture and comes into play early in a session". We already know that religion is entirely seperate from culture, and the two only benefit each other if you choose the right beliefs. So in other words, I'm going to discard everything in the article other than the screenshots and direct quotes from Ed Beach, because the author clearly doesn't know much.

I remember seeing in a previous article that they specifically stated that there are now 34 civilizations in the game, so whether or not that means the DLC is included I'm not sure, but we already have a total of 25 including the DLC, so there will still be 9 new civilizations.

I remember seeing in a previous article that they specifically stated that there are now 34 civilizations in the game, so whether or not that means the DLC is included I'm not sure, but we already have a total of 25 including the DLC, so there will still be 9 new civilizations.

Yes maybe the person who wrote of this article doesn't know that polynesia was a DLC and is now included in the expansion

I wonder if all the other DLC's will be included as well as the korea and ancient wonders

I suppose this will lead to more speculation. It would be nice to get an official confirmation one way or the other. The previous comment that Spain was being added made it sound like there was a special reason to accommodate a scenario. But, obviously, that's not the case with the Polynesians.

My hope is Spain and the Ancient Wonders are the only ones added (the Ancient Wonders to ensure some kind of uniformity of gameplay).

I suppose this will lead to more speculation. It would be nice to get an official confirmation one way or the other. The previous comment that Spain was being added made it sound like there was a special reason to accommodate a scenario. But, obviously, that's not the case with the Polynesians.

My hope is Spain and the Ancient Wonders are the only ones added (the Ancient Wonders to ensure some kind of uniformity of gameplay).

I don't mind paying for A DLC that adds a new civ It doens't really change the core gameplay it allows you just choose a different civ

i was pissed when I saw the Ancient world DLC
This DLC allows you to have new early wonders who you can build and build in you're build order it can be a vital part of a strategy

It could olso be game breaking if lets say the AI get statue of zeus... and he is next to you.

Really disapointed about that DLC would be happy if it became free I didn't payed it yet and I am not going to its a rip off in my opinion.

I didn't mind paying because it led to a good scenario, but I also don't have any objection with it being included in the expansion precisely for the reason you are saying.

That's actually a good suggestion and one I've never seen before. I had previously suggested a Druid, but it isn't clear exactly how that would work. It's also possible their UA might involve Druidism based on the faith from forest thing.

Top Bottom