Game strategies that will change with G&K

Haig

Deity
All right, the expansion brings many changes to the game, big and small.

On my current game I've kept thinking how this and that might be a bit different with G&K, from embarkation to hit point system etc.

Here's some of the things that are going to be different:

Pillaging
As I pillaged with my cavalry I constantly had to retreat to heal, even thogh I was harassing a more underdeveloped civ, their crossbowmen kept bombarding me. With the 100 hitpoints I think I can more easily pillage the improvements when there's no proper defence.

Research Agreements
I've been signing RAs to all directions, interesting to think that with expansion you can only do it with your allies/leaders you've DoF with..
also there's been some vague comments about spies sabotaging RAs (in some arcticle, how a RA between two civs is tempting for a spy??)

Embarkation and naval activity
It won't be (hopefully!) as easy to live isolated on a small island anymore, as naval invasions will be more easy for the AI to conduct, and you can't just ram their units over with your ships. If the AI can do good invasions to other side of the world I'm in ecstacy!

City state buying
Ok this one is obvious, but so often in game there's a contest between me and another major power throwing gold at a CS as their favor swings from left to right. Glad this will be a bit different, and also cool that religion and espionage will be a factor. I'm just puzzled about a quote of how in later eras "City-states hold elections between 12 turns", does it mean they choose between Freedom/Order/Autocracy ideologies as their goverment..?

If the release date is going to be around May 25th, damn it means we'll be playing it.. next month! :cheers:

I'll be very interested to see how religion fits into early game strategies - with having a limited number of religions available per game, trying to found one will become something else to think about...

in later eras "City-states hold elections between 12 turns", does it mean they choose between Freedom/Order/Autocracy ideologies as their goverment..?
I imagine this election determines who they'll Ally with (and vote for in the UN) for the next 12 turns.

One thing that will change for me is that if all embarked units can defend themselves/stack with ships, I'll be a lot less nervous about embarking units early-game when there are still Barbarian Galleys floating about and will probably cross oceans and explore other continents a lot earlier. It will also, as mentioned, hopefully make it more difficult to defend successfully against a massive AI naval invasion with just a couple of ships.

I imagine this election determines who they'll Ally with (and vote for in the UN) for the next 12 turns.

This would be great. I'm really looking forward to rejigged CS gameplay and Diplomatic victories being about more than just who has the most money.

One thing I hope is some kind of nerf of siege weapons(catapult,trebuchet...) when attacking units . Nowadays,Cannons and Artillery ruins Rennasceince/Industrial warfare totally .

I was thinking about the Dutch UI - inadvertantly, that might end up a little like the Egyptian tomb, a bonus for attacking civs. As things stand I'm usually delighted when I spawn next to the Inca since I can steal their UI later on, the Polder will be even better - a city with just one marsh improved to a Polder will grant an additional luxury, so if you see one on your border, either taking the city or culture bombing it to your side would be a benefit!

The CS changes should (based on speculation:)) change Greeces game by making their UA significantly better. Cant wait to play a game with them in Gods and Kings. They may possibly be the only civs that can garner an insane amount of CS allies in the expansion. But i guess we'll have to wait and see.

I was thinking about the Dutch UI - inadvertantly, that might end up a little like the Egyptian tomb, a bonus for attacking civs. As things stand I'm usually delighted when I spawn next to the Inca since I can steal their UI later on, the Polder will be even better - a city with just one marsh improved to a Polder will grant an additional luxury, so if you see one on your border, either taking the city or culture bombing it to your side would be a benefit!

I acutally like the sound of that. If you find yourself craving another luxury and happen to border the Netherlands, you can culturally or militarily relieve them of their tulips. Talk about Tulipomania...

It also gives the Dutch extra cause to watch their back, especially as their rumoured UA (no happiness loss from trading luxuries) would probably lean them towards a friendly, diplomatic type of play.

the change to RAs is huge. The other thing is the addition of techs, making the game longer. If these two factors are unchecked by other changes, I think a wide empire will start looking much better than tall.

I think scouts and horse units will be built slightly more. Fragility is less of an issue with 100 hitpoints, so speed and vision will gain importance.

I certainly hope wonders like the Great Library and the Hagia Sophia will lose their dominance. We know they've added faith to Stonehenge, I'm hoping also other less popular wonders and policies will get a boost.

I'm guessing not. That would make doing quests for them meaningless. Maybe it'll just factor in. Like, election outcome X means people with more of freedom filled out get a bonus, and outcome Y means people with more of order filled out get a bonus, etc. It should factor in and help sway them one way or another, but it shouldn't mean "thanks for destroying our rival city state 5 turns ago, but our new president is going to be allied with and voting for the Romans no matter what you did and no matter what you do now short of staging a coup."

I think I like what I heard about RAs. It'll make me actually want to pick sides, rather than stay out of global politics, which is almost always the better option now. Except, crap, wait. No, I don't want to declare friendships so that they can ask me for half or more of my treasury at a time lest they begin to hate me, while I can't even do the same to them. All for the "privilege" of being able to sign those RAs where they never, ever sign one in your favor and often ask for something in their favor. No, what this'll encourage me to do is actually use the espionage system to get my tech boosts. Either that or it'll make me not feel so bad about not being aggressive about asking for them. Anyway, it can only be good.

Pillaging
As I pillaged with my cavalry I constantly had to retreat to heal, even thogh I was harassing a more underdeveloped civ, their crossbowmen kept bombarding me. With the 100 hitpoints I think I can more easily pillage the improvements when there's no proper defence.

Crossbows: I think those will still do significant damage to Calvary.

It's regular archers (and cities without defense structures) that you won't need to constantly retreat to heal.
Tanks though you can probably leave in the field against Crossbows.

I expect the opener policies (Honor, Tradition) to get somehow involved with religion early game, so that we stop picking Liberty most of the time. Especially Tradition would fit.

Tanks though you can probably leave in the field against Crossbows.

Only that they won't be crossbows anymore, but gattling guns or even MGs. And as they will be upgrades from crosbows, expect them to kick ass with all their promotions...

-

What I detected in my last game:
Your allied coastal City states might be in big trouble, with the new city taking ability of meele ships. In my last game, Ghengis Khan was bombarding my poor ally with seven ships. Of course, he was unable to take the city. But in G&K...

The problem with CSs is, that they are usually not close to your own realm, so you can not help them easily and fast.

The problem with CSs is, that they are usually not close to your own realm, so you can not help them easily and fast.

I expect proximity will play a much larger role in what CS a civ allies. With the focus on quests a civ won't be able to keep up in influence on a CS half-way across the planet (in the early eras at least), so this should hopefully be less of a problem.

Top Bottom