Citrus: It's all so clear now (my deduction).

Simplicity4

Chieftain
After playing the New World scenario, something clicked regarding Gods and Kings. Citrus as a resource could be vitally important. Similar to Iron in building swordsmen, citrus should be necessary for Caravels and Frigates (or perhaps use exactly the scurvy mechanic from that scenario without it)... This would give us another Iron-like resource to fight over and it would make sea units more interesting.

Moderator Action: Thread title changed.

Or it could be coffee... which happens to be one of the most popular drinks in the world and was a source of great wealth for the colonial powers.

As much as I'd like another strategic resource, I've not noticed any new ones in the status bar at the top of the game in any of the screenshots; this is true even in the late-game ones, when citrus would presumably have been utilised. Even if it became obsolete later in the game, old resources stay in the status bar, as iron does.

There are a lot of options and this is a good one, so I am a bit disappointed that there isn't at least one new one. On the other hand, there is so much new content that I can hardly complain.

Granted that it's far from clear, but I don't see how anyone can get "Coffee" out of this tooltip.

And I've never seen yellow coffee beans.

That's most definitely citrus. Regarding new strategic resources, some people have proposed rubber as a late game resource.

That looks a ton like citrus, though the stats look way too high for an improved resource. 7 gold and 4 food? Hell, the Great merchant is +4 G from memory (unimproved naturally)
Maybe they are changing it back like it used to be in cIV, improved resources used to have great value those days. :cool:

After playing the New World scenario, something clicked regarding Gods and Kings. Citrus as a resource could be vitally important. Similar to Iron in building swordsmen, citrus should be necessary for Caravels and Frigates (or perhaps use exactly the scurvy mechanic from that scenario without it)... This would give us another Iron-like resource to fight over and it would make sea units more interesting.

Why Citrus ?! I think Tar would be a much better Naval bonus/strategic resource (like Stone plays in the game) than Citrus.

Tar
Bonus Resource
Requires Astronomy
Found in Forest tiles
Allows construction of Tar Kiln; Requires Astronomy, +5 XP for Naval Units built in the city, +1 Merchant slot. City must have a nearby source of Tar. Upon discovering Electricity, the Tar Kiln becomes obsolete.

Historical Info: Tar is modified pitch produced primarily from the wood and roots of pine by destructive distillation under pyrolysis. Production and trade in tar was a major contributor in the economies of Northern Europe and Colonial America. Its main use was in preserving wooden vessels against rot. The largest user was the Royal Navy. Demand for tar declined with the advent of iron and steel ships.

Tar kilns (Swedish: tjärdal, Danish: tjæremile, Norwegian: tjæremile, Finnish: tervahauta) are dry distillation ovens, historically used in Scandinavia for producing tar from wood. They were built close to the forest, from limestone or from more primitive holes in the ground. The bottom is sloped into an outlet hole, to allow the tar to pour out. The wood is split to dimensions of a finger and stacked densely, and finally covered tight with dirt and moss. If oxygen can enter, the wood might catch fire, and the production would be ruined. On top of this, a fire is stacked and lit. After a few hours, the tar starts to pour out, and continues to do so for a few days.

Why Citrus ?! I think Tar would be a much better Naval bonus/strategic resource (like Stone plays in the game) than Citrus.

Tar
Bonus Resource
Requires Astronomy
Found in Forest tiles
Allows construction of Tar Kiln; Requires Astronomy, +5 XP for Naval Units built in the city, +1 Merchant slot. City must have a nearby source of Tar. Upon discovering Electricity, the Tar Kiln becomes obsolete.

Historical Info: Tar is modified pitch produced primarily from the wood and roots of pine by destructive distillation under pyrolysis. Production and trade in tar was a major contributor in the economies of Northern Europe and Colonial America. Its main use was in preserving wooden vessels against rot. The largest user was the Royal Navy. Demand for tar declined with the advent of iron and steel ships.

Tar kilns (Swedish: tjärdal, Danish: tjæremile, Norwegian: tjæremile, Finnish: tervahauta) are dry distillation ovens, historically used in Scandinavia for producing tar from wood. They were built close to the forest, from limestone or from more primitive holes in the ground. The bottom is sloped into an outlet hole, to allow the tar to pour out. The wood is split to dimensions of a finger and stacked densely, and finally covered tight with dirt and moss. If oxygen can enter, the wood might catch fire, and the production would be ruined. On top of this, a fire is stacked and lit. After a few hours, the tar starts to pour out, and continues to do so for a few days.

During the age of exploration scurvy was a big problem for European sailors trying to cross the great oceans of the world.

Only when the great British doctor James Lind discovered that citrus fruits were an effecient remedy for the disease, did the scurvy epidemic end:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/historic_figures/lind_james.shtml

It therefore make perfect sense to have citrus as a prerequisite resource for "blue water" navies :)

I don`t think citrus should be a prerequisite for caravels etc. Scurvy was serious, but it didn`t prevent the spamiards from buuilding caravels or Columbus from finding America.
But it could be nice if different resources gave a bonus to some units.

Most likely, citrus (or coffee) will just apply the same generic happiness resource as every other one.

I don`t think citrus should be a prerequisite for caravels etc. Scurvy was serious, but it didn`t prevent the spamiards from buuilding caravels or Columbus from finding America.
But it could be nice if different resources gave a bonus to some units.

I guess I agree with you here.

Maybe make caravels and frigates in blue waters lose a certain amount of HP per turn as long as they don't have citrus??

Maybe they are changing it back like it used to be in cIV, improved resources used to have great value those days. :cool:

Extra bonuses from jungle/plantations awarded by religious beliefs? As far as I've seen the only plantation bonus available based on religion is +2 culture, but do we know if we've seen all the beliefs?

That looks a ton like citrus, though the stats look way too high for an improved resource. 7 gold and 4 food? Hell, the Great merchant is +4 G from memory (unimproved naturally)

Maybe it's only 7 gold 1 food, which is way more reasonable. 1 and 4 kinda look alike.

It´s 4 food/7 gold. But you don´t know about special pantheons/beliefs or technologies which could increase a plantation´s yield.

I LOVE the concept that your navy units suffer scurvy until you have citrus resource. Fingers crossed! Make it happen!

I really like the idea, and hope that it is implemented in some way. Perhaps not weakening a unit dependent on it, but strengthening it slightly. Maybe giving caravels and frigates extra experience if you have citrus in your empire.

It also looks like they added hogs; and I believe that salami was a staple food of the Roman army because it took so long to go bad.

This would be a really cool mechanic. I hope they thought of it, and if not, that they patch something like that in. It would be neat for non-strategic resources to add a little more to an empire.

Top Bottom