TSG34 Game in Progress

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Welcome to the TSG34 Game in Progress thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing. There are no reading or posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.

Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through about the first 60 to 80 turns.

- What were your initial priorities?
- What tech path did you follow?
- Any early wars and who started them?
- What Social Policies did you choose and why?
- Did you prioritize any Wonders?

When you've completed your game, please post your victory, or defeat, in the TSG34 After Action thread.

Alright let's start with first 70 turns...

Important thing : raging barbs. These guys can be pretty annoying. Better build some warriors between other buildings/units.

So after sending initial warrior south i decided to settle on the hill north. I think it's a good idea. A deer is going to be available soon. Took free settler from Liberty and settled there.

Spoiler :

I started with monument-scout-worker-warrior-settler-warrior-settler. When i reached writing i started libraries in all cities and the capital is trying the GL. I cleared some barb camps before they went too annoying.

Spoiler :

GL done(Civil Service) :goodjob: Now it's time to build the NC. I also allied with Vienna(culture). With 6 unique luxs i'm good for a while without unhappiness problems. Got iron working a bit late. But with 10 iron deposit available in 2 turns, my income will significantly jump. I will burn 225 :c5gold: to get access to the 6th unique lux(incense) and keep the rest for future RAs. The bad thing is that i stole a worker from Katmandu but he was under protection from France. I got no DoW yet but i think i will raise my army a bit more just to stay affloat. My early warriors put me ahead for 25 turns but now i'm regressing. I don't see the necessity to go at war yet unless another civ decide to test me.

Spoiler :

I'm pretty happy with my start.

I started with honor just for the barbarians. It was a good chioce.
Turn 70, France dow, but the loser won't build another city so I can take his capital.

City #2 is on the gold with the whales.
#3 is onthe coast near the incence. I want a costal city for the later wars.
#4 is next to the sugar and mountain.

I have resuced 4 settler and 4 workers, so I am having to disband them.

I built the gl, but nothing else. I will build the gw just to avoid someone else having it.

I plan on being a warmongering menace.

A fun, but sloppy, game so far.
At Turn 84, I'm doing OK. should be easy to win, but it's not going to be a fast science finish.
I decided to go with Montar's choice for city placement (off the hill), only realized the food problem later. built monument, scout, then a worker to get some farms going.
the barbs were raging alright, so a couple warriors were in order.
Probably Honor would have been a good idea. I went Liberty, free settler, free worker instead. Settled cities north towards AI territory.
I thought Paris looked like a great city to own, so got Ironworking and upgraded warriors to Mohawks. I haven't played Hiawatha much at all. Love the no-iorn Mohawks!
Also like how the Mohawk costs 380 to buy, but you can save 100 by buying a Warrior for 200, then upgrading for only 80 more.
Paris turned out to be harder than I thought to take (defened by warriors and archers). Also didn't notice right away that it was on a hill.
Reinforcements and a late-arriving GG brought it down though.
What?! France is eliminated?! Napolean you were supposed to built another city!
oops - I'm a warmongering menace now.
(any way to remove that, or is it a game-long sentence?)
All the other leaders are Guarded, some denouncing me. It will be tough to get RAs now.
But I did manage to get just now two Classic Era RAs. One with Khan, the other with Oda.
I just got the GL (for Philo), and will get NC done as soon as the other two cities build libraries.
then I plan to settle a coulpe more cities south to get the Incence, Gold, and Whales.
I have Katmandu as a cultural CS.
Not sure if I need to expand more after that or not. Maybe I'll just let the guys to the west fight amongst themselves, and take a few cities off of Siam.

Spoiler :

Attachments

• SHOT0195.jpg
    SHOT0195.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 438
Around turn 90ish captured a worker from barbs and decided to return it to France (had too many workers already). When the standard leader "thank-you" pops-up it crashes the game to the desktop. Restart & reload from autosave...

A few turns later I go to the Diplomacy to talk to France (again) and (again) crashes to desktop! :mad:

France must hate me so much it crashes the whole world!

What?! France is eliminated?! Napolean you were supposed to built another city!
oops - I'm a warmongering menace now.
(any way to remove that, or is it a game-long sentence?)
All the other leaders are Guarded, some denouncing me. It will be tough to get RAs now.

If you can free some of their settlers/workers from barbs they might go to friendly. Also gifting them resources helps (you probably can't trade them for the full 240 anyways so gifting them away for +diplo points is a good idea here).

You should check the diplo relationship screen to see who is friends/enemies with each other. For example if Cathy and Genghis are enemies with Bismark, you should denounce Bismark and try to gain more +diplo points with those two leaders, and have them be the target of the gifted resources.

Around turn 90ish captured a worker from barbs and decided to return it to France (had too many workers already). When the standard leader "thank-you" pops-up it crashes the game to the desktop. Restart & reload from autosave...

A few turns later I go to the Diplomacy to talk to France (again) and (again) crashes to desktop! :mad:

France must hate me so much it crashes the whole world!
Please click here and try this. See if it helps.

Thanks - I will try lowering the graphics settings for Diplomacy tonight after work.

Funny thing is, I've never had it crash in Diplomacy (or ever actually) and I've played many games by now... Even on bigger maps.

EDIT: It seems fine now, must have just needed a full system restart, but no crashes last night.

I settled, as it seems most people did, on the hill next to the dyes. Built monument-scout-warrior. Policies Liberty-Free Settler-Free Worker.

For my second city I decided to head north and settled next to the 2 cows, then bought the tile with the wonder on. This gave me a tile I could work for 2 early beakers, and 3 happiness to pay for the city which was nice. Now with lumbermills this will be my main production city.

Third city on the gold next to the whales. Haven't bothered with a 4th city yet. I'm top on score after 100 turns. Only just signed my first research agreement (with mongolia) cos no-one else has had any money. Think I may attack France soon as they're encroaching on my sacred forests.

Oh, also, I've never even tried for a science win before so no doubt I'll start to lose my way by the end of the game. Can you use GE to rush spaceship parts?

With those crazy raging barbs and a French declaration early doors this has been more like domination than a science game!

Seems I'm the only one who didn't settle on the hill, not sure why I didn't do that, sure I had a reason but can't bring it to mind just now :crazyeye:

Went scout, warrior, worker initially, then more warriors when I saw how many bards were around. Chose Liberty and the free settler and worker options to get some early expansion.

The plan was to build GL and find Iron for those nice mohawks, also lots of forest/jungle around should mean a nice tactical advantage in any wars plus ability to link cities together much sooner. France planted a city quite close to the n/e so built one directly west of the capital and another to the south.

France declared just as the plan was coming to fruition and he went down relatively easily, Paris and another city to the n/e both puppeted, though I reckon I'll annex the capital shortly.

Looks like there are no more civs on the east side of this continent, though the constant barb activity plus the war vs France means I've not done as much exploration as I would like. Think the only other civ we've met is the Germans to the west.

If that turns out to be the case then the plan is to continue to expand east and south, and switch from warmongering to infrastructure mode.

OK thanks for the tips Gamewizard. I need to work on my Diplo skills .. instead of just killing everyone! :)

I finally got some spare time to finish my game. But i craped the all game at then end :sad:. I was 1 tech short(nano) and couldn't get out a gs or RAs soon enough to make a decent finish. Was going to finish near 250 instead of 210 which is pretty bad for me. :( I started Apollo way too late too because of another mistake(around 185). I also started Ras too late(first one around turn 95, second at turn 102, etc).

My build orders weren't great and i missed some ga turns at the end(no Louvre or Taj) because i was short of culture for scientifi revolution. No ga turns+high maintenance of temples = less :c5gold: for RAs...i also stopped gs production around 170 thinking i had enough beakers in my storage bin for the last techs.

No submissions!

Sorry for your poor game Tabarnak, but it's kinda nice to see you can be a mere mortal. :)
Your poor game is like one of my usual games!

Top Bottom