Why so few units and other comments

bearro

Chieftain
First of all I like the mod a lot, great job. There are some things, that in my opinion could be improved, though.

One is the discrepancy between the pace of time (1 turn=2 weeks) and technological development which is highly simplified, I'd really like to see more unit types here (esp. tanks but also motorized infantry if cavalry is included as separate unit type). Not only because of historical realism but simply to give more influential things to research during the many turns that the game can last.

Second - how about adding partisans (like CIV's barbarians) spawned randomly in occupied territories?

Third - I've just installed the add-on and I must say I did not like the new opening cinematic, I don't find the "propaganda" presentation of "forces of good vs. forces of evil" an accurate description of what happened. IMHO staying with more objective phrases like "aggression" is better than "beast" etc.

And a last question - why Nationalist Iberia not Nationalist Spain?

Hi bearro.

I kept the number of units down so that it doesn't end up like Civ3, where you only built a couple of unit types and the majority never got built. Plus, it's more confusing for the AI to work with many unit types, it spreads itself thin.

Partisans are an idea I'm thinking about, but more an add-on 2 feature than anything. :)

The intro video must be viewed with the English perspective in mind. It's understandable totally then.

Nationalist Iberia because Portugal is included in that nation.

Hi bearro.

I kept the number of units down so that it doesn't end up like Civ3, where you only built a couple of unit types and the majority never got built. Plus, it's more confusing for the AI to work with many unit types, it spreads itself thin.

Partisans are an idea I'm thinking about, but more an add-on 2 feature than anything. :)

The intro video must be viewed with the English perspective in mind. It's understandable totally then.

Nationalist Iberia because Portugal is included in that nation.

These are very good reason, I must say:) . About the video - if it's solely from English perspective, does it mean you plan different ones for other nations? BTW - this is just my personal feeling, but if so I'd prefer it to be called "Spain-Portugal", same with other multi-countries (Balkans). Anyway - once again I must say you did an excellent job.

Totally understandable about the names, but it's already hard enough to keep the length of names down for every screen, let alone seeing "Latvia/Lithuania/Estonia" and "Hungary/Bulgaria/Romania". :)

Plus, it IS the Iberian Peninsula.

I'm not crazy about the intro video either. It's pretty much a 100% American perspective, whereas the game allows you to replay the war with any major power.

It's about 10% US.

The video is all about the UK. The UK was the ONLY country in it from day 1 to VP-day.

It's about 10% US.

The video is all about the UK. The UK was the ONLY country in it from day 1 to VP-day.

Day 1? Hardly, not to mention some consider the start 1931 (invasion of Manchuria) or 1936 (Spanish Civil War), UK not only did everything to stay out of the conflict as long as they could, but also when they declared war on Germany we had the "Phoney War" which consisted of doing nothing. From the countries presented in the mod the only one that "was in it" from day 1 till the end was Germany.:)

Day 1? Hardly, not to mention some consider the start 1931 (invasion of Manchuria) or 1936 (Spanish Civil War), UK not only did everything to stay out of the conflict as long as they could, but also when they declared war on Germany we had the "Phoney War" which consisted of doing nothing. From the countries presented in the mod the only one that "was in it" from day 1 till the end was Germany.:)

I wouldn't call the Spanish Civil War Day 1, because although the fascists did provide support, the Spanish never actually got involved in WWII.

And, while Britain and France didn't get involved in Poland, it should be mentioned that a). It was almost impossible - Germany had already overrun a lot of Poland before Britain and France even declared war, and it would have been near impossible to make a troop run through the Baltic, and b). Getting involved in Poland would have meant fighting the Soviet Union in the East, and as we now know (and as they probably did then), without Soviet help, victory in WWII would have been near impossible.

And yes, Britain and France did try to stay out of the conflict as long as possible. But remember, the spectre of WWI loomed over them, and they were desperate to avoid another world war (although appeasement wasn't a great way to go about it).

Anyways, whatever the arguments, the intro movie won't be changing.

1. I can't make video graphics.
2. The movie-maker has moved onto other things.
3. I love it!
4. I can't make video graphics. ;)

I wouldn't call the Spanish Civil War Day 1, because although the fascists did provide support, the Spanish never actually got involved in WWII.

And, while Britain and France didn't get involved in Poland, it should be mentioned that a). It was almost impossible - Germany had already overrun a lot of Poland before Britain and France even declared war, and it would have been near impossible to make a troop run through the Baltic, and b). Getting involved in Poland would have meant fighting the Soviet Union in the East, and as we now know (and as they probably did then), without Soviet help, victory in WWII would have been near impossible.

And yes, Britain and France did try to stay out of the conflict as long as possible. But remember, the spectre of WWI loomed over them, and they were desperate to avoid another world war (although appeasement wasn't a great way to go about it).
Nobody ever claim sending troops to Poland would be a right move but Saar offensive should not be stopped but properly supported. At the time France had deployed 98 divisions and 2,500 tanks against German forces consisting of 43 divisions and no tanks.

Nobody ever claim sending troops to Poland would be a right move but Saar offensive should not be stopped but properly supported. At the time France had deployed 98 divisions and 2,500 tanks against German forces consisting of 43 divisions and no tanks.

Oh, I don't excuse them not intervening sooner. They should've. I'm just pointing out the reasons they'd have probably given for their decisions.

Anyway, back on topic, the intro movie seems pretty good to me. And the perspective seems to be more from a UK than a US perspective - the 'island unto ourselves' bit likely refers to mid-late 1940, when the UK was the only allied country left in Europe.

Top Bottom