Adding Civs to a 362x362 map

jollywoodv2

Chieftain
I'm using Civ 3 Complete:

I just created a random 362x362 world map but I'm restricted to the basic 16 civ spots. I've got 3 questions:

1. Is there a way to make it so all of the civs are playable in one game?
2. Is there a way to make a map even bigger than 362x362?
3. Is there a way to include all of the resources in DYP on a custom map? *Answered this one myself* (If any of you were wondering, just open the .bix file in editor.)

For #1, I reckon you would just go into the scenario properties in the editor and let all civs be playable.

1. Yes look in the world sizes tab.
2. No..........why would you want to when there is a finate number of cities that can be built you will end up running out of cities with lots of open space even at 362 x 362.

1. Yes look in the world sizes tab.
2. No..........why would you want to when there is a finate number of cities that can be built you will end up running out of cities with lots of open space even at 362 x 362.

Can't I just increase the number of optimal cities?

There's no way to increase the number of cities past the max, not even in the editor.

Can't I just increase the number of optimal cities?

In the editor you can increase the number of optimal cities (for corruption) but not the total number of cities on a map (max. 512).

The number of optimal cities can be increased in the rules /world size registry of the editor.

The number of players can be increased in the scenario properties of the editor.

In the editor you can increase the number of optimal cities (for corruption) but not the total number of cities on a map (max. 512)...

What would the optimal map be for 24 civs?

I'm using DYP with Civ Complete.

btw, its suprising that know one has surpassed the code to make it possible, disapointing really. Its also disapointing Firaxis made it so 512 was the max.

What is the max number of cities for Civ IV?

For 24 civs I'd say 200x200 is a good size. Any other opinions?

Civ4 doesn't have a max city limit, but you won't make it over 512 cities unless you have some state-of-the-art computer that hasn't been made yet. Civ4 uses more system resources and memory, so maps are generally smaller than they are on Civ3.

Thanks for everyone's help. I can run COD4 and BioShock at max specs so I think im set for Civ IV.

Thanks for everyone's help. I can run COD4 and BioShock at max specs so I think im set for Civ IV.
Actually those are both much newer games that may have been coded to take advantage of a 64 bit cpu in which case you might still have trouble running Civ 4 with large maps.

I'm using Civ 3 Complete:

I just created a random 362x362 world map but I'm restricted to the basic 16 civ spots. I've got 3 questions:

1. Is there a way to make it so all of the civs are playable in one game?
2. Is there a way to make a map even bigger than 362x362?
3. Is there a way to include all of the resources in DYP on a custom map? *Answered this one myself* (If any of you were wondering, just open the .bix file in editor.)

You are in luck, sir!

Well first off, no, the largest possible map is 362x362.

But....I got bored one day (actually several days) and converted a 362x326 world map FOR USE WITH DYP-RAR!

You can download that here. http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=194705

For 24 civs I'd say 200x200 is a good size. Any other opinions?

Civ4 doesn't have a max city limit, but you won't make it over 512 cities unless you have some state-of-the-art computer that hasn't been made yet. Civ4 uses more system resources and memory, so maps are generally smaller than they are on Civ3.
I like your advice ITs very sound to me. I use 184x184 for 18 civs 40 tiles apart. I have awesome epics with on 60% land/ cont like that.

If you think about it, 160x160 is default size for 16 civs so then thats 10x10 for evey civ. DOn't take a mathman to see your adive for 20civs on a 200x200 is right on the money sonny when it comes to designer intended best suited gameplay in relationto Mapsize: num of civs ratio ;)

FOr some extra advice from Exp, I have played 224x224 and topped out at just above 500 citys on a 60% land /cont map. I bet you can go as high as 240x240 and never top out.
With a engine of at least 3.2 ghz and large L2 cache of atleast 1mb you will get no slowdowns late game ether. I gaurentee that with youttube posting to prove it(if IM called on it ;) )

IN civ4 you will not come close to 450 never mind how powerful it is. THe game will just take so long its not worth playing.
Use that same computer on CIv3 and 512 will play like a breeze.

IN civ4 you will not come close to 450 never mind how powerful it is. THe game will just take so long its not worth playing.
Use that same computer on CIv3 and 512 will play like a breeze.
I was just curious about that, my largest Civ4 save has only 106 cities on the map, seems like it should be more. Wait times on that map are about 1-2 min between turns late in the game. Granted I don't have a beast of a computer; 1.8Ghz Dual Core CPU, 1GB DDR-667 Ram, 120GB HD, 256MB GeForce 7300GT graphics card; but yeah, I don't think anyone is capable of playing with more than 512 cities in Civ4.

If you think about it, 160x160 is default size for 16 civs so then thats 10x10 for evey civ. DOn't take a mathman to see your adive for 20civs on a 200x200 is right on the money sonny when it comes to designer intended best suited gameplay in relationto Mapsize: num of civs ratio

:lol: I make no claim to mathematician, but on a 160x160 w/ 16 civs and 70% water, every civ gets 10x48. A 200x200 map w/ 20 civs would give each civ 10x60 (remember I'm excluding water) I hope I won't have offended you but I couldn't help pointing this out. ;)

Top Bottom