UN discussion - allowing a member to switch teams

donsig

Low level intermediary
I volunteer to pass to team BABE and assist Wotan on turnplay.

Given the fact that BABE is down to one active player who does not have time to play BABE's turn within mandated 24 time limit we should seriously consider accepting the above volunteer. I am unsure how this would fit in with our agreed upon ruleset so some discussion is in order.

If Rick is willing to make an unequivocal pledge that he'll play to win without undue favor towards any team – then it seems like a good option to keep this game moving.

(he's already pretty much promised this in the Turn Tracker thread)

We're just now getting to the more active stage of this world :D – it'd be great if we could keep the save moving at a good clip.

Counterpoint:
What about his prior exposure to in-game information from his membership in Gong? There is no realistic way for a person to 'leave behind' those details, so to speak. If he is allowed to switch teams, we all must be aware that he will be carrying with him, for better or for worse, the knowledge of Maps, Strategy, Relations, and other miscellany that he incorporated while on Gong.

To put this position in context, I'm writing from a pragmatic point of view that was arrived at when the first MTDG ruleset prevented refugees (from defeated teams) from relating anything they already knew to their new teammates. This rule struck me as unrealistic, unenforceable, and serving no greater purpose. I came to this position having witnessed, first-hand, the silly way in which a wrongly-received screenshot incident was handled. KISS sent MIA (my team) a screenshot before having researched Navigation, which the Ruleset specified was necessary for team to exchange screenshots. However, having seen the screenshot (it was a proposed border division, showing towns on both sides of the proposed border), there was no way any of us could honestly 'forget' the info it contained - placements of units, units strengths, city sizes, roads, etc. Obviously, none of us could separate out those details when talking about strategy. The rule was unrealistic: we all promptly erased the image, and copies of it, from our forum and from our computers, but the fact remained - we had seen something we 'shouldn't' have seen. You can't honestly forget that.

So let us all be aware: If RickFGS is allowed to switch teams, it is unrealistic that he will be playing without any awareness of things that Team Gong is currently aware of.

Once this discussion has been joined by representatives of the other teams (rather than only Councillors!), this should be put to a 48 or 72 hour vote, simple majority, anonymous, with secondary poll of which team the voter is on. If everyone on Team Gong votes against this, despite overwhelming numbers of other teams approving, then clearly it should not be allowed to happen as it will unfairly hurt Rick's current teammates. :nono:

A vote will also give us a census of how many players are still active. :)

Good points peter_grimes, especially about giving GONG veto power. Do we also give BABE / Wotan a veto option?

Do we also give BABE / Wotan a veto option?

Yes, I think. This is not a case of a fresh member, showing up without any prejudice. This is a special circumstance, and for that reason it can not be handled under the usual policies of team membership.

That said, I will fully support just about any measure that will relieve Wotan of the burden of carrying on the BABE save alone. :)

I've offered wotan help with the save/taking over playing it. However unless i can get my no-cd crack to work i wont be able to play for about ~10 days until i get back to uni digs.

I don't have a problem with RickFGS defecting to Team Babe. And like any defecter, he would have access to his own copies of old records and documents, but would no longer have access to the Gong forum.

Would this require GONG to change their game password?

Here's another question:

Are there any game admins around to make this change if all parties agree to it? Someone wanted to join the game last January and no one added him (or her) to a team.

@BCLG100 - let us know when you can play again - your help playing the save would be appreciated by all.

Hey BCLG :wavey:

That'd be great if you could at least pinch-hit for Wotan... or take over and let Wotan be your backup.

Rick's offer is nice, but it'd be much cleaner and better for you to take over. :salute:

If there was would i need to ask? Also this is wotans game he may be bored of it but he's done all the playing.

Well, technically speaking this is a game composed of teams (the T in MTDG) and anyone on a team should have equal rights (the D in MTDG). Geez, just post an election in the BABE forum and vote yourself turnplayer. Our understanding is that Wotan doesn't want to be bothered with this game anyway so you can't hurt anything. You could be team BABE and henceforth the B in BCLG100 would be for BABE!

Well, technically speaking this is a game composed of teams (the T in MTDG) and anyone on a team should have equal rights (the D in MTDG). Geez, just post an election in the BABE forum and vote yourself turnplayer. Our understanding is that Wotan doesn't want to be bothered with this game anyway so you can't hurt anything. You could be team BABE and henceforth the B in BCLG100 would be for BABE!

Elections might work for you guys, they dont for us. I still am waiting for him to tell me whats going on for instance i have no idea on alliances etc right now.

Elections might work for you guys, they dont for us. I still am waiting for him to tell me whats going on for instance i have no idea on alliances etc right now.

My team doesn't hold elections. :confused:

Might I suggest looking at the most recent save, devising a plan and suggesting that to your team?

BTW, BABE and GONG must be at war - BABE has already captured one GONG city.

My team doesn't hold elections. :confused:

Might I suggest looking at the most recent save, devising a plan and suggesting that to your team?

BTW, BABE and GONG must be at war - BABE has already captured one GONG city.

If only i could have put two and two together! :rolleyes:

There is no point in suggesting anything to the team because there has been about 4 posts in 2-3 months, therefore i imagine wotan had some idea on what he was doing so obviously im waiting to hear back from him.

There is no point in suggesting anything to the team because there has been about 4 posts in 2-3 months, therefore i imagine wotan had some idea on what he was doing so obviously im waiting to hear back from him.

BCLG100 you are going under the false assumption that Wotan cares about Team BABE or this MTDG. The truth is Wotan is only playing the turns out of a sense of duty and he would surely welcome the chance to be rid of this particular duty. If you are the only active member of BABE (and Wotan is not active right now since all teams - even BABE - are waiting on him right now) then YOU ARE BABE and can therefore play as you think best.

BCLG100 you are going under the false assumption that Wotan cares about Team BABE or this MTDG. The truth is Wotan is only playing the turns out of a sense of duty and he would surely welcome the chance to be rid of this particular duty. If you are the only active member of BABE (and Wotan is not active right now since all teams - even BABE - are waiting on him right now) then YOU ARE BABE and can therefore play as you think best.

What makes you think i'd be much different, doing a similar job in the other mtdg i can relate.

What makes you think i'd be much different, doing a similar job in the other mtdg i can relate.

Nothing makes me think you'd be much different - except my hope that BABE's turn will get played faster now. :D

Thanks for stepping in BCLG100! :goodjob:

Top Bottom