Mega City

Vamp999

Chieftain
Hi all im new to these forums.I have a friend who uses this mega city idea and i just cant touch him at the mo i wondered if any you have any ideas

thanks

Hi, there are many topics regarding a mega city in this forum, take some time to check those out. I'll post a video, from the demo, today to give you a better idea. Very important is city location and also depend which civilization are you using. This work pretty good with the Romans for the Republican and 1/2 road cost bonus.

Welcome to CFC Vamp. I'd surprise him with an early legion/ catapult rush. Or are you trying to best him in single player? Then, surprise the AI with a rush.

hi everyone im also new to these forums i found it when i was lookin for some strategy guides for civ rev. im vamps friend who's been using the mega city idea and it works really well...a bit too well as most of my friends can't touch me like vamp says.
the thing is that i can get tanks extremely early in the game compared to anyone else (earliest ive had tanks is in 1000ad so far) and as soon as i have tanks i just seem to stream roll through citys. the only way i think you could defend against the mega city is to rush early before i have my settler pumping citys working and before i have good defence. other than that im not sure.

I have a feeling that this mega city tactics could see a future nerf. This is only possible due to the fact that you have no fear of starvation in your cities. If the concept of food and feeding your citizens requiring 2 food per citizen, as in Civ4, is at works here, then this strategy will simply not work at all.

The thing is, you are producing nothing but settlers in majority, if not all of your cities other than your specified mega city. Any good player will know to scout out your land with units like spies or caravans to see where you are pumping your settlers to. Depending on the given circumstances, a few set of legion armies, which isn't too hard to obtain, can overrun your weakly defended cities, putting an end to this ordeal.

I doubt people using this strategy will put adequate enough defenses in their cities to overcome a routine invasion force. And at higher levels, I really wonder if AI civs will leave you alone to do all this.

Ai civs do leave you alone more on higher difficulties if you e.g have an army of archers in each settler pump before you actually really start building your mega city. While this slows you down initially you eventually catch up and over take them in everything. They will still go to war on you eventually but with the armies and gold you can keep defending your settler pumps and keep pumping your mega city. I had a multiplayer game where someone was constantly attacking my mega city with an army of knights that turned into tanks as he had leonardos workshop built. I think they ended up getting nearly every ability along with a great general, however I finished off the city and while defending eventually overtook him in tech and got a domination victory lol.

i hope they do nerf the republic govt, it does make it way too easy to win. although its fun the first couple of times it does get very borin as there isnt much strategy to the mega city once you get it up and going.
i only use it on multi player against people i dont know...and only when im against romans or if they change govt.

I have played 100s of games on the demo and have never lost one due to the mega city strategy. I get tanks at 0 ad and often times earlier with the handicap at 40%, I also have more than enough gold to insta buy many, many armies of them. I am a long time civ fan and while at first I was ecstatic about this game, I won't be buying it now until/if they balance the roman civ and the mega city imbalance issue because its the only viable strategy for victory. The cultural and science victorys are also far too difficult compared to economic.

They simply need to limit the number of settlers you can add to a city OR don't allow a settler to be added once the city hits a size of say 5.

Does not need to be nerfed at all. If you play MP you will see that you opponent, unless is a noob, will not let you have so many cities without doing anything. Yes in SP is way too easy to win at any level with this strat but in MP nop.

Theres a simple, but very difficult to do, anwser to this.

Nuke that city, and they are crippled

also in multiplayer the person who does the mega city strategy will will ganged up on

The nuke idea won't work. I always get the nuke with my mega city, so no-one else can. Just remember in all of this, that all tactics are open to all people, so you can't say anything is unfair. It would only be unfair if I was allowed to use it and you weren't.

The nuke idea won't work. I always get the nuke with my mega city, so no-one else can. Just remember in all of this, that all tactics are open to all people, so you can't say anything is unfair. It would only be unfair if I was allowed to use it and you weren't.

True, but MP games are minimally fun if there is a single clear strategy people need to follow in order to have the greatest chance to succeed.

Pre-nerf mutalisk rush, anyone?

It sounds like there is a patch out for PS3 that limits the "mega-city" technique. (Apparently after city population 10 it takes 3-4 settlers to increase population.)

Top Bottom