Score Calculation

patrickkrebs

Warlord
Can anyone explain how score is calculated?
I'm tired of kicking the crap out of the computer and winning by 1800AD on King and not showing up in the rankings for Game of the Week.

GotW, from what I understand, only awards the fastest finish. IMHO, that's ridiculous if true.

Yep, GOTW only count the faster time as the best rank. Agree is totally ridiculous, there are not skills involved, just a lot of free time to spend learning the whole map.
GOTW patch Idea:
- Can be played once in each difficulty or at least the first time you played is the final score that you will have.
- Score/rank should be based in victory type.
- Create a section for old GOTW scores.
Every time I play the GOTW I am in the top 5 but after a few days there are people just playing it over and over again so of course the are going to get a better rank but just for learn the map, not for skills.
This is the only time that I played in Emperor, Top 5 right away, but I'm sure now I'll probably be 100. But Im not planning to play it again LOL.
GOTW Chinese Emperor 1

GOTW Chinese Emperor 2
GOTW Chinese Emperor 3

Someone in a multiplayer game the other day was bragging to me about having the 7th highest score on Deity. He said he was going to keep trying to get it higher so he could get first. Afterwards, I checked the score and he was 7th, but he didn't mention the 1st place winner finished the game like 4000 years before he did. :lol:

Then why didn't I make the rankings I beat like 70% of the people I saw.

I'm not familiar enough to say why, except perhaps a bug prevented you from confirming your entry. ???

As with anything online, in my opinion, GOTW is sadly a complete bust.

The game is advertised as finding the greatest Civ player each week. Ooooh, sounds really cool. Competing against others across the world, testing your mettle, can't wait.

Then it comes out ... and it's about playing the game over and over and memorizing the map, and all that matters is getting the fastest win.

And thus another great concept in theory becomes a piece of crap in practice.:(

As with anything online, in my opinion, GOTW is sadly a complete bust.

The game is advertised as finding the greatest Civ player each week. Ooooh, sounds really cool. Competing against others across the world, testing your mettle, can't wait.

Then it comes out ... and it's about playing the game over and over and memorizing the map, and all that matters is getting the fastest win.

And thus another great concept in theory becomes a piece of crap in practice.:(

This kind of makes sense if you think about it. I've saved games the same turn I could have taken my enemy's last capitol, and then replay from that point offering peace instead of domination. You can go ahead and pad your score greatly after that point. Just have all of your cities build factories, courthouses, and whatever else they're missing, etc. You don't even need to declare peace, you can simply surround the city with modern infantry armies & blockade them with ships so they have no food/production.

They should at least record different victory options, so there's a best economic, best domination, best technological, best cultural.

The biggest problem with going with fastest win as the sole scoring method is that it de facto makes conquest the sole victory condition you should go after :(

Top Bottom