Possible Mistake in Event Options

The "a child that will bring peace to the world event" has an option that I think is a mistake. +1 Health and Happiness for murdering every child born in the city for the next 2 years? That doesn't seem right. Giving the children "extra care" does the same thing (except lowers the Armageddon counter).

Now don't get me wrong, taken care of babies is no fun, but I think if I were a parent I would not be happy about the King's Men coming to take my child, never to be seen again. Seems like the kind of thing that would harbor a permanent resentment amongst the populous - as in permanent unhappiness.

It also seems like the kind of thing destined to fail. How many stories are there about children who's birth was foretold by prophesy, who's death was ordered but unsuccessfully carried out? Jesus is far from the first. This has great potential for a chain event.

The "a child that will bring peace to the world event" has an option that I think is a mistake. +1 Health and Happiness for murdering every child born in the city for the next 2 years? That doesn't seem right. Giving the children "extra care" does the same thing (except lowers the Armageddon counter).

Now don't get me wrong, taken care of babies is no fun, but I think if I were a parent I would not be happy about the King's Men coming to take my child, never to be seen again. Seems like the kind of thing that would harbor a permanent resentment amongst the populous - as in permanent unhappiness.

It also seems like the kind of thing destined to fail. How many stories are there about children who's birth was foretold by prophesy, who's death was ordered but unsuccessfully carried out? Jesus is far from the first. This has great potential for a chain event.
Yeah, I just got that event too. It seems more than a bit odd!

Ah yes, I remember thinking the same thing last night.

Looks like the effects were just absent mindedly copied from the good option, and someone forgot to change the health and happiness part.

I think health doesn't come into it, but it should definitely have a happiness penalty

Seems like this option would slow population growth.... if you are slaughtering newborns.... nuff said

Somehow, I doubt that works, Neomega. :(

Yeah, that seems like a bug. I got that once too, and I stopped playing without the Armageddon counter months ago. Stupid 4 horsemen.

I think the option to slaughter the babies is designed to be selected by a civ that is trying to raise the AC. The happiness bonus isn't a problem, imo, because the people want you to prevent peace at any cost. So, although there are undoubtedly some sad parents out there, the people in general recognize that you've done what was necessary.

I can go along with the +1 :health:, but not really the +1 :). I think that the extra health should be removed from the -10 AC choice, and the extra happiness should be removed from the +10 AC.

'nuff said.

Not really sure why +1 health would make sense. If you are thinking about lower population density, that is already being done by the lack of 'unhealth from population' when the 2 points of pop leave.

If the option were evil only, I could see it at least a little bit. Fine dining and slaughter could be 'evil'.

Not really sure why +1 health would make sense. If you are thinking about lower population density, that is already being done by the lack of 'unhealth from population' when the 2 points of pop leave.

If the option were evil only, I could see it at least a little bit. Fine dining and slaughter could be 'evil'.
Because children are disease-ridden pests that smell vile and spread sickness wherever they go? :p

Well, the event really needs a Vampire-only choice. Put all those children to some good use, for a change. :p

* One of your advisers, a vampire named "Swift," has a modest proposal for how to deal with this situation.
- 1 Happiness
- 2 Population
+ 10 Armageddon Counter
+ 150 Gold
Requires Cabalim

:lol:

The patch notes for 0.40t has "1. Fixed an error in the Holy Child event." Might be referring to this?

* One of your advisers, a vampire named "Swift," has a modest proposal for how to deal with this situation.
- 1 Happiness
- 2 Population
+ 10 Armageddon Counter
+ 150 Gold
Requires Cabalim

:lol:

The patch notes for 0.40t has "1. Fixed an error in the Holy Child event." Might be referring to this?

That would be epic.... Especially for those of us who have actually read his 'Modest Proposal'. :goodjob:

Rather +1 unhappiness. Governor's manor puts them to good use.

Top Bottom