Does computer performance affect streaming video?

Mr. Keith

Bracketologist
Or is it solely your internet connection?

I just get annoyed with choppy videos.

I think it is both, you need a good 'net connection so you can watch it correctly but then you need a good video card

good video card

Really.

My computer just has integrated video. Are you telling me that a video card would actually improve my youtubing experience?

Flash video is very lossy anyways.

Unless the FPS in the video is higher than the FPS on your video card, it shouldn't affect it too much. (It's usually around 25 or 30 on videos, depending on if its PAL or NTSC.) I think you only need a good video card if you're going into the high-def stuff.

Your video card has absolutely no effect on streaming video.
IIRC, Flash 10 has gpu acceleration
CPU speed on low end machines might, open up the task manager, and see if your web browser is at 100% cpu usage to check.
Yep.
Otherwise, it's your connection. (Or the streaming site)
Yep.

aimeeandbeatles said:
Flash video is very lossy anyways.
Flash is h.264...
Unless the FPS in the video is higher than the FPS on your video card, it shouldn't affect it too much. (It's usually around 25 or 30 on videos, depending on if its PAL or NTSC.) I think you only need a good video card if you're going into the high-def stuff.
What?

Its both, your connection and your computer. My crappy old laptop can barely play flash video with no stuttering. If you have a slow connection though, it will have to constantly pause to download more of the video too though.

Whenever I've encoded videos to flash video, there's always been a significant decrease in quality. And I've used different encoders.

And the FPS (frames per second) thing -- Sometimes, when my video card driver craps out on me, I have to use the default VGA one. And it has a low FPS, so some videos look a bit choppy on it, whether or not its streaming.

Whenever I've encoded videos to flash video, there's always been a significant decrease in quality. And I've used different encoders.
H.264 was added a while ago. Prior to that it used something elsel

And the FPS (frames per second) thing -- Sometimes, when my video card driver craps out on me, I have to use the default VGA one. And it has a low FPS, so some videos look a bit choppy on it, whether or not its streaming.
It's probably your CPU.

Most streaming videos are so low resolution and low bitrate that processor speed isn't going to matter

No, as it's only when I use the default VGA drivers.
Well it's not you GPU, so I don't know what to tell you.

Most streaming videos are so low resolution and low bitrate that processor speed isn't going to matter
I always here about flash taking a large amount of cpu time, especially on OS X and nix. Even on windows it takes a lot of processor time; I imagine on older CPUs it would be really bad.

Okay -- suppose you have a very low frame rate with your video card. If the frame rate on the video is higher, it'll be choppy. No matter what GPU you have.

It's like trying to film a motor race with a video camera which has only 10 fps. Or how some video animations are. choppy.

Well, the adaptor might.

What? No. They dont. Video cards will display things as fast as they can. Camera's on the other hand may have a set fps. Older webcams didnt shoot at 24/30fps that you need for full motion, they shot at 10-15fps which made them stuttery, but it was good enough to convey motion.

In short, I have no idea why you think GPU's have a set framerate, cus they dont. They'll display things as fast as they can.

Yes, and if "as fast as it can" is slower than the videos' framerate, it'll be slow.

Maybe I'm getting confused with the monitors refresh rate.

The lousy default adaptor is the one you get if you disable your regular display adaptor in device manager. The VGA one.

Top Bottom