[BtS] "Mars, Now!"

What exactly are you doing for the loss of interface patches? I've had users state they have the same issue withe RevDCM based mods (mine included). It's obviously machine specific, so what are you doing in those patches that might solve the problems? Would such fixes be cross mod compatible?

Woohoo! I have an interface now! Thanks The J! Now all I have to do is avoid some random crashes and I'll be fine. :)

Speaking of, got something weird on turn 55. There was some problem with program execution or some such thing. Anyway, if asked me if I wanted to do a core dump and I asked it to do a full dump. My question is, where is that file and would you care to look at it? :lol:

Whoops sorry, i was just being a total idiot; i installed the patch in the wrong place, in the mods folder instead of the marsjetz folder :blush:.

This happens in every mod minimum one time :D.

What exactly are you doing for the loss of interface patches? I've had users state they have the same issue withe RevDCM based mods (mine included). It's obviously machine specific, so what are you doing in those patches that might solve the problems? Would such fixes be cross mod compatible?

If it's the same error, then they are compatible without any problem.

Explanation:

Spoiler :

First: Not every error with no interface is related to this. The guy, who has the problem with Thomas' War, has the same effect, but it seem's, that his problem is an other one.

Source of the error: CvPath.py
Reason of the error: Reading in the registry.
Solution: Change the CvPath.py

Steam:
Instead of

PHP:
def __getRegValue(root, subkey, name):
    key = _winreg.OpenKey(root, subkey)
    try:
        value = _winreg.QueryValueEx(key, name)
        return value[0]
    finally:
        key.Close()

use this:

PHP:
def __getRegValue(root, subkey, name):
    key = _winreg.OpenKey(root, subkey)
    try:

value = "C:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword\Beyond the Sword"
        return value[0]
    finally:
        key.Close()

------------------------------------------

For CivComplete:

Instead of :

PHP:
def _getInstallDir():
    gc = CyGlobalContext()
    subkey = r"Software\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4"
    print "Civ4 version: ", gc.getDefineINT("CIV4_VERSION")
    #if ((gc.getDefineINT("CIV4_VERSION") / 100) == 2):
    subkey += r" - Beyond the Sword"
    return __getRegValue(_winreg.HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, subkey, "INSTALLDIR")

use this:

PHP:
def _getInstallDir():
    gc = CyGlobalContext()
    subkey = r"Software\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete"
    print "Civ4 version: ", gc.getDefineINT("CIV4_VERSION")
    #if ((gc.getDefineINT("CIV4_VERSION") / 100) == 2):
    #subkey += r" - Beyond the Sword"
    return __getRegValue(_winreg.HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, subkey, "INSTALLDIR")

Both are the simplest replacements, with redundant code remaining, which could be changed, but it's not necessary.

Some components in some mods need the total mod-path, which they gain through the registry-key. If the reading fails, the file crashes, which causes an crash in the CvMainInterface, which is the real reason for the missing interface.

This happens, when someone has a special civ-version with other registry-keys, which affects all download-providers, CivComplete and maybe more.

To solve the problem, the CvPath has to be changed, that it reads the real registry-keys. Could be included in the CvPath, but i don't know anything about exception-handling in Python, so it's easier to replace the file through an patch (-> patch can't be included in the main-download).

Some things here are only guessed, but it seem's logical, and it's working :).
Thanks to Primordial Stew, who also pointed a way to this, and to Tssha, who provided the helpful logs :).

Speaking of, got something weird on turn 55. There was some problem with program execution or some such thing. Anyway, if asked me if I wanted to do a core dump and I asked it to do a full dump. My question is, where is that file and would you care to look at it? :lol:

The dump goes to My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond The Sword\Logs.
And yes, if you still have it, i would look at it.
In most times the logfiles doesn't say anything useful, but i hope to find something, which helps.

Woohoo! I have an interface now! Thanks The J! Now all I have to do is avoid some random crashes and I'll be fine. :)

It works brilliantly now, thanks:) This mod is awesome:scan:

Nice to hear :).

Thanks for that explanation. That clears alot up. The Steam one is bizarre though, looking at the code it should still read the correct path, that it pulls from the registry. Is the registry key different for steam versions? This seems wrong because WolfRev uses an installer which uses the registry key to target it's install path; steam users have reported it installs fine, they just don't get an interface. Anyway I'll have to try those.

Thanks for that explanation. That clears alot up. The Steam one is bizarre though, looking at the code it should still read the correct path, that it pulls from the registry. Is the registry key different for steam versions? This seems wrong because WolfRev uses an installer which uses the registry key to target it's install path; steam users have reported it installs fine, they just don't get an interface. Anyway I'll have to try those.

Weird :confused:. I've looked again at the steam-registry-key, it seems to be the same. Maybe a problem with the string-handling in python :confused:.

Alot of things are weird when Steam is involved;)

:D

Red blob screenies (entering the storm square and moving on):

Attachments

• Red blob0000.JPG
    Red blob0000.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 173
  • Red blob stays put0000.JPG
    Red blob stays put0000.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 258
Check the FFH2 Forums for possible solutions of the blob issue... I remember reading about the same problem... I am sure Kael might be able to tell you whats wrong and how to easily fix it...

~ LeAto

A red blob simply means the reference in a unit art is wrong, whenever the unit is not found, a red blob appears.

There basically are two possible reasons, the xml is wrong or the unit art is not included / included in the wrong place (e.g. by installing the mod or a patch wrong). Whatever the FfH solution to it was was FfH specific, no point looking there (unless it is as generic as what I just wrote). This needs to be fixed in Mars now.

I downloaded the mod and installed the patch. i have the latest version of BtS.

When i try to load it i get the message:

GFC error: failed to initialize the primary control theme

doesn't work for me :(

Red blob screenies (entering the storm square and moving on):

Strange :confused:.
Can you attach the savegame next time please :)?

Check the FFH2 Forums for possible solutions of the blob issue... I remember reading about the same problem... I am sure Kael might be able to tell you whats wrong and how to easily fix it...

~ LeAto

A red blob simply means the reference in a unit art is wrong, whenever the unit is not found, a red blob appears.

There basically are two possible reasons, the xml is wrong or the unit art is not included / included in the wrong place (e.g. by installing the mod or a patch wrong). Whatever the FfH solution to it was was FfH specific, no point looking there (unless it is as generic as what I just wrote). This needs to be fixed in Mars now.

I now the "red blob"-problem, i've had it several times, and i know how to fix it, when it comes in a normal way.
But Jeelen says: There is no unit on this plot!
And every feature has only one 1 artfile, so there can't be a change to a missing file.
There is nothing, what could have a missing art file.

Any other suggestions :(?

And what was the FfH2 problem?

I downloaded the mod and installed the patch. i have the latest version of BtS.

When i try to load it i get the message:

GFC error: failed to initialize the primary control theme

doesn't work for me :(

The name of the folder has to be marsjetzt-v02 and it has to be placed in "C:\program files\firaxis games\civilization IV\beyond the sword\mods" (or whereever you installed BtS) and not in the "my documents" folder.
Are you sure, you did that?
Please look at it again :).

Strange :confused:.
Can you attach the savegame next time please :)?

Started another game. The attached savegame contains 2 red blobs which appear after entering a Sandstorm square. (One of them is now in another civ's territory; they just stay put.)

I now the "red blob"-problem, i've had it several times, and i know how to fix it, when it comes in a normal way.
But Jeelen says: There is no unit on this plot!

See above.

Noticed some more stuff (the 1st is a savegame that turned out really weird after reload):

Attachments

• Jay Allen Mars 2.CivBeyondSwordSave
    344.6 KB · Views: 182
  • Loaded savegame...0000.JPG
    Loaded savegame...0000.JPG
    163.4 KB · Views: 254
  • MarSian Poems0000.JPG
    MarSian Poems0000.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 248
  • Pan-MarSianism0000.JPG
    Pan-MarSianism0000.JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 168
Yeah, there's another thing I noticed with the mod. Marsian is not, I believe, a word in the english language nor the appropriate adjective for anything relating to Mars. The correct word is Martian. If you get a chance to fix all instances of "Marsian" by changing it to "Martian" (in the english version, that is), that would be great. Otherwise, it's a minor complaint.

This looks like an absolutely amazing mod. I would love to play it!

I downloaded the file, extracted it into the Mods folder c:\documents and settings\ownder\my documents\beyond the sword\MODS
I have windows xp. when i tried to load the mod, about halfway through i got the message: GFC error. failed to initialize the primary control theme.
mod would not load :'(

edit: I have bts and the latest patch.

... marsjetzt-v02 and it has to be placed in "C:\program files\firaxis games\civilization IV\beyond the sword\mods" (or whereever you installed BtS) ...

... extracted it into the Mods folder c:\documents and settings\ownder\my documents\beyond the sword\MODS ...

did you really installed bts in this folder? ;)

@Dragonwrenn: The_Coyote says it, please look, where your BtS folder is, then it will work :).

Started another game. The attached savegame contains 2 red blobs which appear after entering a Sandstorm square. (One of them is now in another civ's territory; they just stay put.)

You have to help me, i can't find it :(.

Noticed some more stuff (the 1st is a savegame that turned out really weird after reload):

Did you change the pc or the account for playing?

Yeah, there's another thing I noticed with the mod. Marsian is not, I believe, a word in the english language nor the appropriate adjective for anything relating to Mars. The correct word is Martian. If you get a chance to fix all instances of "Marsian" by changing it to "Martian" (in the english version, that is), that would be great. Otherwise, it's a minor complaint.

Will be fixed, i hope :).

So idk if im missing something here or what, but the oxygen and water/ice requirements seem strange to me. From what i can tell each race is limited to 4 cities + oxygen resources on the map. On the one mars scenerio theres like 3-4 oxygens on the entire map and lots of water. So other then war your looking at 8 cities max per civilization.

Also water = H20... 2 molecules hydrogen + 1 oxygen. IMO water should be the only requirement for new cities as you can extract oxygen from water...

Or allow greenhouses or something to generate 1 oxygen.

1st: Great idea for a mod and a mighty fine outcome, too.

Now for some quetions and opinions.

I've read in some tech infos that I'm suposed to be able to absorb materials from and thereby destroy a sandstorm or a magnetic storm with a construction ship.
how do I do that? Theres no button to press, and if I build an improvement into that tile (hoping it would work like clearing a forest) the storm remains.

I'm seeing some balance issues:
- If you build next to a river your city can get quite big quite early. But you havent the techs to keep the population happy. This can be quite frustrating.

- Similar with money - If you want to keep your science maxed, you're always low on funds. How about adding a simple bilding that gives +2 or +3 gold?

- Techs and with it the available buildings and units come in too fast. I'd suggest leaving it that way in the first few techs and adding a significant amount of needed tech points to all other techs.

This mod is great! If it gets balanced out a little, it will become something really big.

So idk if im missing something here or what, but the oxygen and water/ice requirements seem strange to me. From what i can tell each race is limited to 4 cities + oxygen resources on the map.

Are you sure?
For me, it works. I need water and oxygen to expand my empire.

On the one mars scenerio theres like 3-4 oxygens on the entire map and lots of water. So other then war your looking at 8 cities max per civilization.

Uh, really?
I'll have a look at it, there should be more oxygen.

Also water = H20... 2 molecules hydrogen + 1 oxygen. IMO water should be the only requirement for new cities as you can extract oxygen from water...

Yes, this could be possible, but when you're following the current discussion about the fuel cell, it's very difficult to separat the hydrogen and the oxygen in water, and it needs much energy.
A efficient method to do this, is in my opinion too much sci-fi, and needing both resources is just more realistic.

Or allow greenhouses or something to generate 1 oxygen.

When you've build the national wonder "First Contact To Earth", you can always build the "request oxygen from earth" national wonder :).

1st: Great idea for a mod and a mighty fine outcome, too.

Now for some quetions and opinions.

I've read in some tech infos that I'm suposed to be able to absorb materials from and thereby destroy a sandstorm or a magnetic storm with a construction ship.
how do I do that? Theres no button to press, and if I build an improvement into that tile (hoping it would work like clearing a forest) the storm remains.

This has to be done separatly.
With the technology "martian calendar" (i hope i'm right, my memory is not the best :D) you can "chop" the sand and magnetic storms.

I'm seeing some balance issues:
- If you build next to a river your city can get quite big quite early. But you havent the techs to keep the population happy. This can be quite frustrating.

Would you suggest more resources, a civic or something else?

- Similar with money - If you want to keep your science maxed, you're always low on funds. How about adding a simple bilding that gives +2 or +3 gold?

Are you really running out of money?
I thought, the limited cities would prevent that.

- Techs and with it the available buildings and units come in too fast. I'd suggest leaving it that way in the first few techs and adding a significant amount of needed tech points to all other techs.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've also thought about it, i'll change it.

This mod is great! If it gets balanced out a little, it will become something really big.

Yes, the balancing, it has all to be done, and it's not easy.

Top Bottom