[SDK MODCOMP] Examine City on Conquest!

smeagolheart

Monarch
Examine City at Conquest!
v1.1 release, tested compatible with BTS 3.17, possibly works with lower versions​

What this mod does:
  • When a city is conquered, you gain the option to see inside the city to see if you want to keep it or not as part of the popup box that pops up when you take a city.

See the screenshot for a view of this in action. The mod that is running in the screenshot is my mod, the Destiny mod.

Instructions:​

This Modcomp requires modification of the SDK, so be forewarned. The source file to modify is in the SDK Source folder. This mod will not function without recompiling the dll.

In the file, changes are marked:
// examine city start

and

// examine city end

Thanks to:
EmperorFool, xienwolf, and dilandau for their contributions getting this going.

Download Link: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=12108

Last edited:
First off, very nice modcomp. And well commented source code, merging this in was very simple :goodjob:

Just a minor note, your XML contains an error, you have </text> repeated twice in the end of the text for it, which of course throws an error. Easy to fix, and diagnose, since it trips the default CIV XML warnings, but I figure you'd like to know about it, and correct it in the upload.

Ah thanks, I attempted to add foreign translations and must have left something in, I'll fix..

I've played my first game with this folded in, and its already been a big benefit. I kept a couple cities with some pre-existing infrastructure that I might have otherwise razed, and I razed a couple of cities that upon examination I realized weren't worth it. I even captured a city with between five and six wonders in it. I probably wouldn't have razed it anyway, but it showed how it could be useful.

I made a couple of slight aesthetic changes to the code. I moved the examine city to the bottom of the button list, and I added a separator to set it apart slightly from the other buttons.

Putting it at the top required renumbering existing buttons so it made it a bit more difficult, it would have been easier to add it to the bottom of the list. Emperor Fool suggested that it should go at the top like the other ones popups where Examine is on the top and on the top is where I put it.

I think it looks okay as is, but of course you're free to change it. Glad to hear it is useful! If I remember, Civ 3 had this functionality, not sure why they dropped it for Civ 4, seems a no brainer that if you are invading a city you can see what's in it before you decide what to do with it.

This is a great addition. Im going to add it to Fall from Heaven 2 if you don't mind. :goodjob:

Hey quick question though, trying to find the prereqs for that option even to show up. What's the deal? It has to have been someone elses city that was captured already and you have to capture it again? I think I got it fixed but haven't been able to test it due to it not showing up so far.

I tried letting the ai take a vassals' city, then recapturing it from the ai and didn't get the option, I thought that should work

Top Bottom