Which city set should i make next?

Which city set would you most like to see made?

• Ottoman medieval

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • Ancient Greek

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Bulgarian medieval

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fantasy

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Mongol medieval

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 7 17.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Some of my most complicated work has up to 187 colors. I don't think you'd need to worry about stretching the 256 limit. ;)

That's why I keep advocating Surreal Life :D
I wish all these foolish early-adopter youngsters would hurry up and get the first couple of generations or so of mind upload out of the way (bugs worked out) so those of us with enough experience to know what to do with the powers of an archon could abandon meat puppetry forever.:p Then it's cubans & kona all around, fellows!

... Um, you forgot Maui ... :cooool:
Actually, that avatar is on Kauai.:p

But seriously, folks...

I've got a set ready for you, Varwnos, like this key image:
thumbnail

There are about 20 altogether. Some are small, some are very detailed, but between them all you've got views of the buildings from a few angles - with several variations & combinations.

I could upload them in a flat format such as tiff, but I think you'd rather be able to hide the overlays & see the image details clearly. I can give you either GIMP or Photoshop format (saved from GIMP). I'll also include notes about the architectural terms, etc.

The Mauryan Condo

There are 3 zips - “MauryanHighrise” 1 & 2 and a third named "OtherFantasyUrban". In “1” are the larger image files. It also includes a plain text version of these notes. “2” has more images, but smaller. The majority of the images are from the reliefs at Sanchi - built under Asoka Maurya. These are more important for the overall architecture. “Other” contains paintings, Mughal miniatures, etc. for some additional details.

The Key Images:
  • Archilabels has four buildings of various styles, each in a different color. The three key features are labelled:
    1. Mandapa - the ground floor as a veranda - columned space without walls. There is also a variation with squared towers with windows in each.
    2. Jharoka - railed balconies - running around the entire building & often overhanging the ground floor. These can be more than one story tall.
    3. Chandrashala - the top floor is a barrel vaulted room along the length of the building, with similar vaults perpendicular to it. There is a sort of point at the top of the arches - looks like the roof has a series of spines projecting from it. I don’t know if these are decorative or functional, but they’re in all the reliefs.
  • Grab the Master Image from imageshack (thumbnail at right). It’s about 8 mb & the most detailed I have of the Mauryan cities portrayed at Sanchi.

the overlays on the rest of the images are color coded - red for the mandapa (ground floor veranda), green for the jharoka (balcony floors), and blue for the chandrashala (barrel-vaulted top floor).

Notes on a few of the images:
  • There are two images of temples (houses of the gods, you know) to show as actually built - even if it is highly stylized.
  • ArchDetails is a cutaway drawing from a temple that shows the way the roof is built out of a succession of barrel-vault arches, with the columns of the mandapa supporting it.
  • Parade & AptBehindWalls are not straight on views like the other reliefs. These isometric images make it easier to see that the ground plans are not simple rectangles.
  • CityScape is a rendering of a city, based on the reliefs. The overall structure of the building is easiest to see in it.
  • Mughal shows that the same basic design was passed on as cultural fashions changed. Mauryan Empire about 200 BCE to Mughal Empire about 1600 CE.

Hope these are enough to get you going.

View attachment MauryaHighRise1.zip

View attachment MauryaHighrise2.zip

View attachment OtherFantasyUrban.zip

Modern cities tend to fluctuate in population over time, especially when resources run out or industries close down or become obsolete. But Civilization tends to operate as if this doesn't happen. So this suggestion would call for a modification to the rules taking into account when an technology becomes outdated, leading to the loss of industry, or as resources run dry. In such cases you would get a "Population Loss" message. The city graphic would then show the effects of that loss, such as bits of forest or brush encroaching on the city.

This was inspired, if you like, by pictures I've seen of Detroit. Such as one of an urban barber shop sitting alone on a Detroit street, surrounded by empty fields (with trees even) where once it had been located among other buildings on a busy city street.

Can't be done in Civ3. The core engine is hardcoded and doesn't allow for changes of that sort. You can have a technology make certain things obsolete, but you can't make a technology cause population loss and visible changes in the city graphics (with the exception of Era changes).

Top Bottom