Graphical fixes

Deon

Lt. of Mordor
-.- (old text removed)

I will use this thread for updates on the "broken" graphical models.

1) Colony pod

Before:

After I re-wrapped the texture and added more details:

Attachments

• colonypod.rar
    48.5 KB · Views: 165
Rover is a hell to fix.
His model geometry is somewhere wrong so I can't import it to the MAX to re-map, so the only option was to retexture it... It was quite hard considering the fact that it's texture doesn't use any shapes, just base texture. Anyway, here's the result

Before:

After:

Attachments

• unity rover.rar
    39 KB · Views: 175
Thanks! This is awesome. :goodjob: I'll check them out in-game and include them in the next patch.

(though, is it just me, or do the rover tires actually look less detailed on your rover re-texture :hmm: )

One note by the way, to prevent unnecessary work in case you intend to do more fixes: I intend to link the Cruiser unit to another model some day. That cruiser model was made long ago when we were still thinking in terms of a unit workshop, and so the model was made with easily adding weapons to it in mind. With the idea of a unit workshop scrapped though, I'd say it's better to link the Cruiser to a better-looking model. So no need to retexture that one.
For the same reason (the unit workshop being scrapped), there's no need for the hovertanks to still have those pink weapon attachment nodes for instance.

Here's a link to the graphics task list btw, in case you'd want to do more stuff but don't know what.

(though, is it just me, or do the rover tires actually look less detailed on your rover re-texture :hmm: ).

It's just you (or your desktop screen). There's actually more detail to the tires, but it is finer and darker. Perhaps that's why you don't see it at first glance?

"Original" tires were looking like a scalemail, not like tires :).
I am going to re-model some stuff like supply crawler which is totally broken and can't be retextured (the model cannot be triangulated without errors in 3ds max :().

I am going to re-model some stuff like supply crawler which is totally broken and can't be retextured (the model cannot be triangulated without errors in 3ds max :().

:goodjob:
The untextured crawler always bugged me. Not to mention the "wake" it creates when moving ingame.

When it moves, you see something like white lines streaming after the unit.

It's just you (or your desktop screen). There's actually more detail to the tires, but it is finer and darker. Perhaps that's why you don't see it at first glance?

Ah yes, I see. Is there a point though to replacing a tire texture which has visible details even on the usual zoom level by one whose details are so fine that you can't see them anymore when zoomed out??

Otherwise, the unit is looking cool. :goodjob: I've just put the new unit art in the game.

Just checking, are you talking about the Supply Crawler or the Supply Pod/Material Supplies? While I have plans for the Supply Crawler, it is not yet active in the game right now.

I think the Supply Crawler is an old model still dating from the C4:AC days. The Supply Pod/Material Supplies is a modification to that model made by The_Reckoning.

In case you want to create a new model for the Supply Pod and Materials Supplies instead of/in addition to the Supply Crawler, I have some possible ideas to make them look more apart. Currently, as evidenced in this thread, people often confuse them all, I guess partially due to the similar graphics.

The Supply Pod could be the treaded chassis of the crawler, but placed on top a landing pod laying on its side.

The Material Supplies could be the treaded chassis of the crawler, but placed on top perhaps a unity pod??

When it moves, you see something like white lines streaming after the unit.

Hmm, I thought perhaps the cause could be a wrong TrailDefinition, but the Supply Pod doesn't have a trail definition. :confused: I don't know, perhaps it's because it has (like many units) an unfitting UnitShadow, instead of a TankShadow or something. Haven't bothered to correct all that yet.

By the way, when I activate the Colony Pod animations, I get a python exception when trying to view the unit in the Pedia. Am I the only one having that problem, or you guys too? To check it out, you should change the kfm of the colony pod in the ArtDefines XML file to <KFM>Art/Units/ColonyPod/ColonyPod.kfm</KFM>

While I have plans for the Supply Crawler, it is not yet active in the game right now.
I meant both. Both of them have broken geometry for 3ds max and cannot be skinned by me.

I didn't try colonypod animations, I will look into it (although I haven't worked with animations before, I have some basic knowledge).

Is there a point though to replacing a tire texture which has visible details even on the usual zoom level by one whose details are so fine that you can't see them anymore when zoomed out??
I don't know what do you mean here, I see them perfectly. Maybe it's a feature with some worse monitors/vision problems, I don't know :). I see it perfectly on my screen. Anyway tires shouldn't be grey, they should be darker in my opinion to avoid "legoland" look.

I don't know what do you mean here, I see them perfectly. Maybe it's a feature with some worse monitors/vision problems, I don't know :).

Here's how they look with me. (if the difference lies in the monitor, this screenie is kinda pointless of course. :hmm: )
Anyway, it's not a big deal to me.

Top Bottom