Tour de France 2009

J-man

Deity
The Tour de France will start tomorrow (Saturday 4th of July) and there was no thread about it, what a shame. So I had to start one so we can discuss:

Favorites, who do you think will win? Favorites include Carlos Sastre (won in 2008), Denis Menchov (won the Giro this year), Cadel Evans (finished 2nd twice) BUT most eyes will be on Alberto Contador and Lance Armstrong. Contador won 2007 and was banned in 2008, Armstrong won seven times in a row.

My money is on Contador. Armstrong is a very good rider but didn't get any younger and sustained an injury which interfered with his preparation. Armstrong's preparation was rigorous (and perhaps legendary), he only trained for the Tour but this time has also performed in other races.

Doping, doping plague's the Tour every year and 2009 will be no different. Alejandro Valverde and Thomas Dekker have been banned. How many cyclist will get caught during the race?

I think at least 5 cyclists will get caught during/after the race.

I think Contador is the most likely winner, but I have some hope for Menchov.

Lance will crush the field!

(I wish.)

It'd be nice if none of the big names got sent home this year. And I think Contador can win it again.

I think Contador will take it. I don't expect Sastre, Menchov and Evans to be able to do anything more than following. The main threat for the Astana boys will be the Schleck brothers imho. Although they'll lose a lot of time in the TT's.

I'm happy Boonen will be allowed to participate, that means we'll see our national champion's jersey :goodjob: Even though he'll probably be pwned and humiliated by Cavendish :lol: Oh well...

I don't really know what to think about Lance Armstrong. I don't think he can wit this but I have to say that his performance in the last week of the Giro was impressive.

I don't really know what to think about Lance Armstrong. I don't think he can wit this but I have to say that his performance in the last week of the Giro was impressive.

If Lance would be able to grab the yellow jersey I wouldn't be surprised when one of the French spectator to grab him and pull him of his bicycle. They really dislike him.

If Lance would be able to grab the yellow jersey I wouldn't be surprised when one of the French spectator to grab him and pull him of his bicycle. They really dislike him.

I hope he punches them in the face. :)

I hope they won't do that but with some cycling "fans", you never know.

But I don't think they dislike him as much as they did 4 years ago.

Oooohh... I'm already looking forward to the Mont Ventoux! What a great place to have the decisive stage.

As for contenders: Contador is the main one IMO.

Doping: I'm quite optimistic. Last year the riders who really seemed to be too good were caught, so perhaps the others were clean? But Dutchfire's guess of 5 riders getting caught seems realistic.

Oooohh... I'm already looking forward to the Mont Ventoux! What a great place to have the decisive stage.

As for contenders: Contador is the main one IMO.

Doping: I'm quite optimistic. Last year the riders who really seemed to be too good were caught, so perhaps the others were clean? But Dutchfire's guess of 5 riders getting caught seems realistic.

Don't be too optimistic. :p It's getting harder to take doping unpunished but I think it's still doable if you do it carefully.

Beltran, Duenas and Fofonov were too good?

Okay, maybe I'm just a bit naive. :)

As long as I get a good show, while hanging out on the couch with a hangover, I'm satisfied.

Well, okay, we can throw away Menchov for the Yellow Jersey now.

And Cavendish won the first one, but that was bound to happen.

Well, okay, we can throw away Menchov for the Yellow Jersey now.

Yeah, a shame. You knew he was going to screw up, but this is pretty soon. You know, every one keeps saying how boring he is, but to me he seems a pretty nice guy. I wouldn't mind having a beer with him.

And Cavendish won the first one, but that was bound to happen.

By this much? I don't know why other teams bother with sprinters anymore. Sure, you can beat Cavendish, but the chances are pretty slim.

The crash in the last kilometer helped Cavendish. The only one who was in his wheel was Farrar. Freire, Bennati, Boonen and Napolitano were held up and Ciolek and the Cervelo's were too far away and had to make an effort to come back in his wheel. Still very impressive win by Cavendish nonetheless.

The Boss shows he's still the boss, letting Popovitch and Zubeldia do work while Contador is in the second group.
Contador won't like that :)

It was the good move by Armstrong though. Contador only lost time on Cancellara and Armstrong. He should be able to manage Cancellara, and Armstrong is his team mate so that shouldn't matter too much. Kind of weird that the other teams did not manage to close the gap just a little bit. Saving for tomorrow?

well done by the Astana's today.
Rabobank keeps sucking.

I wonder how many excuses Hushovd will have this year, i was quite surprised yesterday when he aactually said Cavendish was better then him. Doubt he'l get the green, only time he got it was because Mckewen was punished and lost points.

Both Hushovd and Arvesen should be able to win atleast one stage each tough.

Top Bottom