Worker automation, trade routes

scyt4l3

Short Fused Invader
Hi

I know there is no more roads to build, but a reason that made me automate the workers was to rebuild destroyed improvement over special ressources. That way the AI wasn't touching to other types of tile.

I liked this original function and now it's gone. Is there a special reason like AI behavior when roads are gone or something. Otherwise I suggest to put it back into the menu.

Thanks for working on this mod :goodjob:

I do not quite understand. In Dune Wars, you can automate workers and they will carry out all the standard tasks. Because there are no roads, they will not build roads, but they will do everything else including build improvements.

What change are you requesting?

I think he means the "build trade routes" automation command on normal workers. In vanilla, this will build roads/railroads and will build bonus improvements (pasture, mine on iron/coal/etc., farm on wheat/rice/etc.) but not normal improvements.

I guess it was removed? I hadn't noticed.

Here, all it would do is build wells, dew collectors, insect farms, mines on nitrates/etc. and harvesters - but would not build other mines, cottages, turbines or solar farms.

He's talking about the "build trade netwerk" command for workers, activated by the N key.
(Wich only improves resources and connects those with cities through roads and leaves the other tiles alone) Wich works different from the "automate" command

Exactly, thanks for precising my thoughts. I don't want them to build common mines/cottage/wintraps. Mines are kinda an exception since they are sometime needed for special ressources.

We have not done anything to add or remove this capability. When you select that, it should still build improvements, even though there are no roads to build. What is the specific problem you are having?

I simply don't see a "build trade network" button anymore.
Build improvement, yes. Improve nearest city, yes. But no build trade network.

Thank you for the additional explanation. In vanilla, I see that once you have roads technology, there is a "build trade network" button. The help for this button says it will build *roads*. I did not try it yet. But, does this button in fact build anything besides roads? If it builds something besides roads, how is it different from the regular automation button?

Since DW has no roads, it has no technology which enables roads, and I guess that is why the button does not appear in DW. However, if it *only* builds roads, I don't suppose it is useful. If workers with this automation build something besides what the regular automation button builds, I guess we need to find a way to add that.

EDIT: OK, re-reading the thread, I guess this button is just like the regular automation except it does not build cottages, solar farms, or wind turbines. This seems like a pretty small difference. Why is this useful? There is a bug in vanilla and old versions of BBAI where the workers would tear down fully built towns and put a mine, then tear the mine down and put a cottage. This bug is fixed in the version of BBAI which we are about to release. The 1.7 version of DW will have BBAI 0.82.

I find it useful because workers only focus on connecting ressources to your empire without interfering with your tile management. Outside of the BFC of your cities it build forts. It's less micromanagement. I understand it's not critical, just a little something I noticed. It would be useful to partially deal with sandstorms damage.

And while we are at it. When I get a notice for an improvement destroyed with a coordinate like 45, 76 . Is there a quickway to pinpoint the tile or you just eyeball it?

When I get a notice for an improvement destroyed with a coordinate like 45, 76 . Is there a quickway to pinpoint the tile or you just eyeball it?

The fact that the coordinates are listed there probably isn't helpful to you. But, you can just ignore them. The rest of the message is the same as many other messages, such as, "An enemy has been spotted near <city>". If that city is on screen, you just look near there. If that city is off screen, then there should be one of those circular icons with an arrow which indicates where the event occurred.

Also it should be possible to click on the text and it will bring you there. I use it all the time (in Ctrl-Tab log).

Hello again! You had contributed a number of concepts for building art, which were very helpful. Are you interested in finishing some of them and working on new ones? Please see the unit art thread for some interesting ideas. Also, any buildings you want to make, such as civ-specific palaces, would be great.

Top Bottom