Which movie(s) have you seen lately? - Episode IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to see Daybreakers tonight.

Awesome premise, poor, poor execution of it. It also overused gore to the point where it was just kind of cheesy and over the top, in a bad way. The film also couldn't decide whether it wanted to be scientific, or more mythical. All in wall, even if they mangled a pretty sweet premise, it could have been a worse movie.

Saw Daybreakers tonight. I haven't laughed that hard in a long, long time. You know a movie is bad when you can tell down to the scene when the director stopped caring about the movie. Seriously, the movie spends the first hour establishing that you catch on fire when exposed to the sun, and vampires will do anything possible to stay away from sunlight, and yet there are scenes in the end when vampires are clearly standing directly in the sunlight and yet nothing happens.

Definitely a check in the so bad it's good category, and as such will probably result in a cult classic.

I've been hearing good things about Youth in Revolt, and will probably see that next weekend.

they finally made Emo into a movie...

and it's name is Twilight: New Moon

avoid. avoid. avoid.

Saw Daybreakers, and i've got to say that it was among the worst movies i've ever seen. The premise was interesting, but very poorly done. you know it's a bad movie when you'r sincerely contemplating walking out 10 minutes into the movie. honestly, it's only redeeming factor is that it it's shorter than 2 hours.

was really surprised by a movie yesterday that I had no reason to expect would be any good:

Whiteout

actually a good movie! and with a low budget and hardly any SFX. and of course Kate Beckinsale :crazyeye:

sort of a spoiler below, but NOT a plot spoiler. still, just to be safe, I put the 'spoiler' box.

Spoiler :
right at the beginning, Kate Beckinsale strips down to her underwear on camera and then hops in the shower (for no reason!), and I was thinking, "Oh man, are you kidding me? This is gonna be awful!" but then she spends the rest of the movie in sweaters and coats, so I think the director was just trying to compensate or something... ya know, give the audience a little 'warmth' before all the freeze your butt off suspense begins. :p

I bought myself a ps3 for christmas, which means that I can finally watch blue rays on either of my 42 inch 1080p displays.

I watched Terminator 2, Total Recall, and Stargate.

The last 2 seemed really dated - but still awesome.. Terminator 2 in 1080p blew me away, though.

Considering that T2 was made almost 20yrs ago (man do I feel old writing this), it holds up really well over time. You can't really tell it was made that long ago just from watching it.

Considering that T2 was made almost 20yrs ago (man do I feel old writing this), it holds up really well over time. You can't really tell it was made that long ago just from watching it.

it has definitely aged well.

but the part where they escape from the mental institution with Sarah Connor, and the enemy terminator is hanging onto the back of the car, and it's sooo obviously a dummy...

that part has always bothered me.

Most recently, Sherlock Holmes, and it's good to see Holmes not being portrayed as the stuffy guy with a magnifying glass so many people think of. I was glad to see that it had become a movie, as I've been reading a lot of short stories (on flights and such) starring Holmes and Watson. Plenty of ridiculousness in the movie, for sure, but fun. I'll watch the sequel.

Before that, The Princess and the Frog. Good music, basically the Disney that those of us who grew up watching Disney movies in the 90s will recognize. "Classic" animation.

And I have to mention that I recently saw Casablanca, which is just as good as everybody says it is. Based on this and The Maltese Falcon, I think it's safe to say that Humphrey Bogart is just about the coolest guy ever.

Was Holmes portrayed as a cocaine addict in the movie? Or is that another area they chose to omit from the novels?

saw a great classic on AMCHD the other day:

The Other Side of Midnight based on a Sydney Sheldon novel.

made in 1977 I think. has Susan Sarandon.

anyway, really good film! in WW2, an American captain has an affair with an idealistic young Italian aristocrat. she gets pregnant, and he leaves without even saying goodbye... she is totally crushed.

later, she becomes a huge star in her country, and she never forgets the American captain and tracks him down. meanwhile, he marries Susan Sarandon... but the Italian actress isn't done with him!

has an awesome ending.

(includes some pretty graphic love/nude scenes with the totally gorgeous Italian girl.. not Susan Sarandon!)

Was Holmes portrayed as a cocaine addict in the movie? Or is that another area they chose to omit from the novels?

Not intravenously, as in The Sign of the Four.

Well he wasn't taking cocaine. But he sure as hell acted as one.

At one point, Watson points out that Holmes is taking something meant for eye surgery, which cocaine is... so you can take it that way if you so choose. If you're not looking for the coke, you won't find it; put it that way.

Rewatched Goldfinger recently - pretty much the definitive Bond movie, one of my favourite films.

Once upon a time in America- the kind of story telling you very rarely see in cinema. (partly because of time issues)

if you want to take 3 and a half hours to watch a movie, watch this movie.

I watched Youth in Revolt today. Started out as a pretty standard Michael Cera film, but turned for the better about 30 mins in when he introduces his more rebellious devil-may-care supplementary persona François Derringer. From then, it's just absolutely hilarious. Cera makes a great rebel, surprisingly.

America, we now have a 2-character Michael Cera, rather than one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom