Bitmap 2 BIQ (or BIC or BIX)

Neptun1976

Chieftain
This program will apply a grid and coordinates to the image of a map. This will
help you find the exact location of terrain features such as coast line, mountains, rivers etc when creating Civ3 maps based on real world maps.

After you have created the image with a grid, open the image in an image viewer and switch between the viewer and the editor. Use the coordinates as reference when building the terrain. This way you get very accurate Civ3 maps :)

...and here is the program.

-------------

New program uploaded because the first version didn't work.

-------------

Readme file added.

Attachments

• bitmap2biq.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 355
Here is an example map of Europe made with the program. First I used an image program to resize it without keeping its correct proportions in order for it to become 100x100.

Then i added the grid using Bitmap2BIQ.

(Remember that Civ3ConquestsEdit can show the coordinates of the grid if needed.)

------
Larger image of the map:
http://www.kjetilgroven.com/diverse/civ3/europe-large-distorted-grid.jpg

Attachments

• europe-large-distorted-grid.jpg
    europe-large-distorted-grid.jpg
    499.8 KB · Views: 682
Sounds promising, but I got this error immediately upon launching it:

Attachments

• BitmapToBIQ Error.png
    BitmapToBIQ Error.png
    11.3 KB · Views: 160
Got farther along, but still no dice. I used the Continental US.bmp map, then tried with 256 horizontal tiles, got a mangled image back, tried again with 180 tiles, and got the 180 image.

This tool will be VERY useful once we work out these bugs :)

Attachments

• Continental US.bmp
    201.9 KB · Views: 610
  • Continental US_Grid180.bmp
    201.9 KB · Views: 192
  • Continental US_Grid.bmp
    201.9 KB · Views: 187
Got farther along, but still no dice. I used the Continental US.bmp map, then tried with 256 horizontal tiles, got a mangled image back, tried again with 180 tiles, and got the 180 image.

This tool will be VERY useful once we work out these bugs :)

Unfortunately, the program doesn't resize images. You'll have to do that yourself in advance. For a 100x100 map you can e.g. use the dimension 3000x1550 pixels (remember to turn off the "maintain aspect ratio" option - which usually is turned on by default in most graphics programs). That way, the grid coordinates become small enough that they don't occupy the entire diamond squares.

For some reason, you cannot just multiply 3000x1550 with 1,8 to get the exact dimension for a 180x180 map (although it will be quite close, maybe 180x184). Don't know why (I made this program some 6 years ago), but you'll just have to try and error a little bit.

The attached zip file contains your Continental US map resized but not "gridified".

Attachments

• Continental US-large.zip
    835.5 KB · Views: 139
I guess I don't follow you. What do I need to resize the maps to? Should the pixels match the tiles?

Use a 3000x1550 pixel image for a 100x100 civ map. For any other dimensions you could just multiply 3000x1550 with a factor to get your desired size.

2 examples:
40x40 civ map: Use an image with size 1200x620 (3000x1550 multiplied with 0.4)
180x180 civ map: Use an image with size 5400x2790 (3000x1550 multiplied with 1.8)

However, this is not exact due to some rounding errors. E.g. the program might tell you 180 horizontal tiles yields 184 vertical tiles. If you don't want to use that, just resize the image again until you get 180x180.

Hope this clarifies a bit :)

Top Bottom