COPS is the best TV show ever

Fifty

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
COPS is the best TV show ever.

By Fifty Fiftyson

The Simpsons is competition... but The Simpsons was only truly genius for a few of its seasons. Granted, during those seasons it eclipsed basically everything else on TV ever, but COPS has been consistently incredible for 750 episodes. To use an analogy, COPS is like Bach to The Simpsons' Mozart.

I can't conceive of any show that comes close to COPS. If you don't like COPS, thats a pretty good indication that your abilities of aesthetic appraisal are defective.

1) Best theme song ever. There's just no argument here. Various people will have various little theme songs that they are nostalgic for, but COPS's theme song is the objectively best.

2) Most literary show ever. COPS legitimately contends with Shakespeare in its ability to depict the human condition. Every emotion and every human archetype is portrayed in total candor on COPS, and without the trappings of acting. Not only does it portray the archetypes, the "good guy" and the "bad guy", but since it is real, it conveys everything with the degree of complexity fitting its subject matter. It strikes the perfect balance between depicting archetypes and depicting complex reality. Furthermore, the simplicity of both the premise and the title hide the enormity of the themes addressed by the show. In that respect, it is not unlike The Odyssey, a simply titled work about a man just trying to get home.

3) Most entertaining show ever. Car chases, bad guys, good guys, the raw emotional entertainment provided by COPS is unparalleled.

4) Originality. Its very fashionable to rag on reality tv, but COPS did reality TV right. No stupid contests or anything like that, just a depiction of reality.

I won't bother arguing with people who critique it without actually comprehending its complexity and richness, so if you're just going to post some unenlightened one-liner, save yourself the trouble.

Moderator Action: Fifty, that video auto starts whenever I open this thread. It is very annoying. If you can find a way to turn off the auto start, you may add the link back.

AND REMEMBER: ALL SUSPECTS ARE INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY IN A COURT OF LAW.

Fifty, I agree with you wholeheartedly.

I love the homage to The Grudge that is shown at 0:50 in the intro video that you embedded.

That scene definitely contained the spirit of the original while at the same time taking it in a whole other direction.

i think the various big brother installments (was it even called big brother in the usa? it was across europe) topped it in being literary and depicting the human condition.

A bad joke? Everyone knows that Big Brother is very much reality tv in the most pejorative sense, since it doesn't depict anything approximating reality. It is the most low-brow of shows, though I suspect you're just being flippant.

The hell? What makes Cops more realistic in its way of capturing people during their everyday life than Big Brother?

Big Brother films them all the time, 24/7. THAT's literary.

The hell? What makes Cops more realistic in its way of capturing people during their everyday life than Big Brother?

Big Brother films them all the time, 24/7. THAT's literary.

Its incredibly artificial, and obviously so. Its the worst sort of trash. You are clearly just trying to get a rise out of me comparing the two. Are you sure you want to succeed in that attempt??? ;)

This debate stops now!

Big Brother is artificial? LIES!

Not any more or less than Cops at least.

Also, i dont quite understand, what exactly are you "threatening" me with?

Big Brother is artificial? LIES!

Not any more or less than Cops at least.

Also, i dont quite understand, what exactly are you "threatening" me with?
Look at his avatar. Haven't you seen The Hangover?

I'm not a big fan of Cops, but it's so ridiculously superior to Big Brother in both premise and execution that it's not funny. Of course, Big Brother has public sex and nudity, which is nice, but I can get that off the internet without having to sit through all the boring crap.

It's pretty sad that Big Brother is so inferior to Cops given the 24/7 worth of material they have to work with. Must be something defective in the concept.

Hmm, yah... "good guy/bad guy" aren't really literary concepts. You also mentioned it twice as a reason why this should prove this particular reality show would be THE BEST EVER - which isn't sayin' much as "reality" shows go...

Top Bottom