Buffy the Vampire Slayer

I've borrowed the first four seasons from my uncle and am like obsessed with this show right now, lol. I saw the first season in like a day and within a week finished seasons 2 and 3. I just finished season 3 and am starting season 4. Anyone else here ever see this show?

I'm a big fan. I have all the DVDs and have seen them a couple of times. I think it's a great show. Be sure to watch Angel as well. To get the whole story you should do both, and switch back and forth in the seasons both ran so you can get the shows in order.

It's an ok series...but not fantastic, I'd say.

It's that type of cheesy that's enjoyable to watch, but really only on your own, behind closed doors, or with your friends as a joke.

I'm a big fan. I have all the DVDs and have seen them a couple of times. I think it's a great show. Be sure to watch Angel as well. To get the whole story you should do both, and switch back and forth in the seasons both ran so you can get the shows in order.

Oh, I was going to watch all 7 seasons of Buffy first then Angel. Or would that just be confusing since they ran alongside each other?

Oh, I was going to watch all 7 seasons of Buffy first then Angel. Or would that just be confusing since they ran alongside each other?

You could do it that way. However, there was some story line crossover. So if you've never seen it before, and you can, I would watch them in the order that they were originally aired. And that means switching back and forth.

sort of envy you not having seen it yet. enjoy :)

Yes, also a fan of the show here, and really it is rather popular among certain demographics. It can be funny, serious, tense, and more - really covers a wide range of great television. Also, the general recommendation is to also look into Joss Whedon's other works, many fans will instantly turn out to be fans of his other projects and shows because of similar styles and tones and atmospheres. I have not ever seen much of Angel though.

I remember occasionally watching it when it originally aired in Germany and I found it enjoyable. However I was yet quit young, my experience tells me that my television taste of that time is literally worthless for present reference and my memory is so blurred that it is almost like I never watched a single episode.
Nowadays I just thought it to be some stupid teenager stuff and until recently never even bothered with the thought that this show could be worth to actually really watch it.
Then I accidentally discovered that there seems to be a quit big fan base (several sci-fi themed boards had the need for a separate discussion section), which seemed just very odd to me (and still somewhat does). But I also started to wonder and by now I think I'll give the first season a shot at some convenient time.

Still can't get rid of the expectation that Buffy is at least a little trashy though. Isn't it?

cheesy, b-movie style.

I suppose you could say that up to a point. But not really. Production values were a little on the inexpensive side. But didn't feel really cheap. Actors were unknowns, or nearly so, when the show started. The show was made on a pretty tight budget. And that did effect some of what they did. But it made up for that with being written and acted better than most TV or B movies.

I didnt really see a cheap quality in it, although i only saw a couple of the later episodes.

But the storyline was ridiculous, and it seemed to be mostly a comedy, or at least not to take itself seriously.

Also, fighting vampires with your hands and feet? :shake: The vampire genre has long been stagnant, no new idea comming in.

well the first season looks outdated because of the cheap film they had to use. they later learned to use poor film for a decent look and managed to upgrade the hardware as well.

as far as not taking itself serious... it is pretty much in the show's title: Buffy: the Vampire Slayer which is both grandiose and silly. californian airhead cheerleader saves the world, finds friends, matures. despite the more lighthearted nature of the show it did go into serious areas as well. "The Body" and "Seeing Red" being just two examples. it at times managed to be quite creepy as well as in "Hush". 2 of those managed to be episodes that broke certain drama standards that seemed to be set into stone to great effect and this is not even mentioning the musical episode which was quite stellar.

most Whedon fans love the show, and as has been mentioned most of his other work, for the mixture of great characters and their interaction, for crowning moments of awesomeness they achieve and the pitfalls of regular life they have to endure as well as the unique brand of Whedonesque humor that is so quotable it drives non-fans of his shows at times to tears.

Also, fighting vampires with your hands and feet? :shake: The vampire genre has long been stagnant, no new idea comming in.

You should have seen the episode where they summoned a horrible, horrible demon. He had eradicated armies just by looking at them, and was (they said) invincible. What the thousands of year old demon(who knew nothing about modern weapons) didn't know was that Buffy had a bazooka. That was hilarious.

You should have seen the episode where they summoned a horrible, horrible demon. He had eradicated armies just by looking at them, and was (they said) invincible. What the thousands of year old demon(who knew nothing about modern weapons) didn't know was that Buffy had a bazooka. That was hilarious.

also a crowning moment of awesomeness :D

"what does that thing do?"

I love this show and have whole collection of it's episodes. But still i have not finished complete series. I m still on buffy the vampire season 3. which are just awesome. Storyline of all episodes which i have still enjoyed are epic and horrible. Now i m going to watch last episodes of it's season 3 on my incoming weekend.

As I say, it wasn't a big budget show. They could not afford to do A movie quality effects. But it was generally better than B movie level effects.

it's more about the story line than the actual budget.
it is the story line of a b-production.

not that that cant be entertaining.

Top Bottom