Is there a reason we SHOULDN'T try to get a cooperative pact with every AI civ?

VitalyB

Chieftain
From what I understand, cooperative pact merely improves your relations with the other civ with no real negative side, so... Why does this option even exist? Why should we constantly try to spam-pact on every civ every turn? [exaggeration]

I thought the same as you. From what gregg said in the video, such pact improves relations between the both nations. But since the player has no such relation rating, it just benefits him in any case. If I understood correctly how it works

EDIT: maybe it damages relations with other leaders such as "you traded with our worst enemy" did in civ4

The AI might expect you to contribute to the pact and, if you don't, refuse to trust you with trades. Or maybe it is a good strategy and one the AI will do too. If you've ever played a multiplayer game, the first thing other players will ask you is to agree to be peaceful and cooperate with them. There's absolutely no reason early in a game to say no, is there?

I'm guessing that if you have a pact of cooperation with an AI, and that AI is on another AI's bad-side, then you will suffer a penalty with that other AI. So if you sign a pact with Gandhi, and Napoleon dislikes Gandhi, then you'd likely suffer a penalty with Napoleon.

Just a guess, but that's how defensive pacts worked in Civilization IV.

I'd say it increases expectations.

THe AI is supposed to be like a human player correct
If you sign a pact of cooperation with a civ and they declare war on you 2 turns later, will you trust them again?

You won't trust them with Gold/resource per turn or open border/research pact deals

The AI proably works the same way.

From what I understand, cooperative pact merely improves your relations with the other civ with no real negative side, so... Why does this option even exist? Why should we constantly try to spam-pact on every civ every turn? [exaggeration]

I might not want to improve my relations with a nation. They might be pressuring my best-buddy city state, or maybe their borders are pushing a little too close to my strategic resources.

Yes I agree... Early on you may want to get a boost on a certain opponent so you team up with another, and leave out the third. Perhaps they have a lead on you and you want to catch up? Lots of reasons to exclude.

I guess there might be diplomatic penalties if you fail to be a good partner. Backstabbing or refusing to help them later might end with a much bigger penalty than the initial benefit was.

Also, it could influence the other AIs. You might be outspoken as backstabber and mistrusted by eeryone.

I guess there might be diplomatic penalties if you fail to be a good partner. Backstabbing or refusing to help them later might end with a much bigger penalty than the initial benefit was.

Also, it could influence the other AIs. You might be outspoken as backstabber and mistrusted by eeryone.

That's what I'm thinking.

Setup coop treaty with an AI, then build a city right next to their capital...WHAT?! I just want to be close to you to be able to help you better!

The way i see these pacts, is that they are a promise, if you sign a co-operation pact, you are promising the civ you will be thier friend and not thier rival, if they ask you for a favour in the future by sgining this your promising your co-operation, and if you break that promise they'll hate you.

Similar with secrecy, your promising to not be the friend of one particular civ, and if you go backl on your word, you'll annoy your new found friend.

basically you should be signing co-operation pacts only with civs you view as valuable friends, and signing secrecy pacts against only civs you consider to be cun..........ningly annoying civs.

They may also be what enables the AI to bug the crap out of you with requests for help like they always did in Civ 4, that would be enough reason for me to not accept the offer.

Top Bottom