Forts & Citadels

GoodRevrnd

Warlord
I was under the impression that forts, as in Civ 4, can be used to connect resources. However, this did not turn out to be the case the one time I tried. Was this an anomaly for some reason or does this not work anymore? If it does work, will Citadels also connect resources?

Also, will forts/citadels act as canals like in Civ 4?

The short answer is that forts in Civ 5 are purely militaristic in nature. They have no function other than to provide a tile which provides a significant boost to the unit defending it.

Do forts and citadels defensive bonus stack with rough terrain or does it simply replace terrain modifiers?

Forts and citadels, from what I understand, can't be built on rough terrain. They MUST be built on open terrain.

Which means that a fort on open terrain is: 67% (-33% penalty from open terrain) x 150% (fort bonus) = 100% of rough terrain. And it gets destroyed if captured by the enemy.

And citadels are 67%x200% = 133% of rough terrain. (Plus 3 damage to adjacent enemy units.) And it only works for the civ that owns the tile.

Forts and citadels, from what I understand, can't be built on rough terrain. They MUST be built on open terrain.

Which means that a fort on open terrain is: 67% (-33% penalty from open terrain) x 150% (fort bonus) = 100% of rough terrain. And it gets destroyed if captured by the enemy.

And citadels are 67%x200% = 133% of rough terrain. (Plus 3 damage to adjacent enemy units.) And it only works for the civ that owns the tile.

This is wrong, I have built forts on hills and in forest (without destroying the forest) many times. And it still doesn't really answer if the bonus completely overrides terrain modifiers.

Citadels can be built on rough terrain btw, and as for forts I've never built one so far in Civ 5, but they don't act as cannals I don't think, the Citadel is however a very cool improvement.

This is wrong, I have built forts on hills and in forest (without destroying the forest) many times. And it still doesn't really answer if the bonus completely overrides terrain modifiers.

Yeah you can definitely build them on hills. I just won a cultural OCC using this tactic... with some artillery behind it citadels are extremely powerful. Held off a much larger empire of the same tech level. :cool:

In that case, this is very promising for my "Vauban Fortress Island" map I want to design. :)

Yeah you can definitely build them on hills. I just won a cultural OCC using this tactic... with some artillery behind it citadels are extremely powerful. Held off a much larger empire of the same tech level. :cool:

Ya, it's crazy good. I made myself a little Maginot Line (except mine actually worked) for my Bollywood achieve.

I like the forts and citadels. The citadels damage any enemy unit that comes into an adjacent hex, and give 100% defensive bonus to the unit inside. I just wish you could build the citadel outside your territory, like you can with forts.

Indeed forts are very powerful, although citadels... depends. If you have a spare great general then yes. Otherwise I prefer him being alive for that 2-hex-wide +25% combat bonus.

Where do you guys place your forts/citadels? I've been wanting to utilize them and other than one time where I had my capitol wedged in the corner between two mountains I always feel like I'm not providing any real strategic use by plopping them down.

Where do you guys place your forts/citadels? I've been wanting to utilize them and other than one time where I had my capitol wedged in the corner between two mountains I always feel like I'm not providing any real strategic use by plopping them down.

If there isn't any strategic use then don't plop them :)

Since you have to put the citadel inside your borders, it's hard to find a place to put it (in my opinion). But in my current game, one of my cities has a single desert tile next to it, so I put one there and stationed an archer in it.

On my Bollywood game, my ONLY aluminum popped up under my citadel. This citadel was honestly in an absolutely critical place and while I didn't need the aluminum that badly to finish out the game (Germany was too far behind in tech to matter) I was still pretty pissed.

On my Bollywood game, my ONLY aluminum popped up under my citadel. This citadel was honestly in an absolutely critical place and while I didn't need the aluminum that badly to finish out the game (Germany was too far behind in tech to matter) I was still pretty pissed.

It's much easier to trade for strategic resources now. In fact AIs seem to give them away with almost every trade.

If there isn't any strategic use then don't plop them :)

I guess I'm more curious as to when they would have a strategic use. It's rare to find a nice bottleneck so most of the time an enemy can just go around rather than even have to deal with the fort.

I mean I would love every map to have a Thermopylae style bottleneck where I can just toss a citadel and pray some poor fool would try to break through, but 90% of the time I'm on the coast with a full spray of open hexes.

one of my cities has a single desert tile next to it, so I put one there and stationed an archer in it.
Do citadel's provide offensive bonuses or only defensive?
If the bonuses are only for defense, wouldn't it make more sense to put great defensive unit (eg, melee unit) in there with the archers behind? +100% to an archer's defensive combat strength is still woeful.

Do citadel's provide offensive bonuses or only defensive?
If the bonuses are only for defense, wouldn't it make more sense to put some sort of tank unit (eg, melee unit) in there with the archers behind? +100% to an archer's defensive combat strength is still woeful.

Citadels give 100% defensive bonus, and deal 3 damage to any enemy unit that enters an adjacent hex. I would probably put a tank there, but I havent played a game that far yet. ;)

Top Bottom