What if I pledge to protect

King
What if I have liberated city, then I pledge to protect and make peace with opponent. Can they declare was on city-state if I and opponent have a peace treaty? Wouldn't it cause a war with me and other civ if they would attack on that particular city-state?

In my recent game AI has strange compulsion on taking city-state. Wich I capture back and liberate :)

I pledged to all the city-state, but they still be declare on war, and AI comes to me, talking about "I attacked your little friends, blah blah". I don't think that will made me angry.

So you have to declare war even if you have peace treaty going on.

No, pledging to protect is just a public declaration to the world that if someone declares on that city state you'll be annoyed. The AI probably takes it into account when attacking (I'd assume) but it's nothing as advanced as an actual defensive pact. You won't automatically declare war on the aggressor, and if you do want to declare war, you'll have to wait for your peace treaty to run out

No, pledging to protect is just a public declaration to the world that if someone declares on that city state you'll be annoyed. The AI probably takes it into account when attacking (I'd assume) but it's nothing as advanced as an actual defensive pact. You won't automatically declare war on the aggressor, and if you do want to declare war, you'll have to wait for your peace treaty to run out

OK, thank you :)

These messages are a bit confusing. When you pledged to protect one and it's attacked, they should say: "remember your word".

Also the only way I find to know if I already pledged to protect them (when they are 24 you can forget) is that the option is not available any more, but there could be a clear symbol like a shield that you could even see from the main view.

Also protecting one could be rewarded, and your influence decreasing slower. If you happen to let one down you would have a malus toward all the others you protect cause they wouldn't trust you to, and a bonus if you declare war and actively wage it.

These messages are a bit confusing. When you pledged to protect one and it's attacked, they should say: "remember your word".

Also the only way I find to know if I already pledged to protect them (when they are 24 you can forget) is that the option is not available any more, but there could be a clear symbol like a shield that you could even see from the main view.

Also protecting one could be rewarded, and your influence decreasing slower. If you happen to let one down you would have a malus toward all the others you protect cause they wouldn't trust you to, and a bonus if you declare war and actively wage it.

Those are all excellent ideas. I hope someone mods them in, and I hope the devs look at these ideas and consider them seriously.

What if I have liberated city, then I pledge to protect and make peace with opponent. Can they declare was on city-state if I and opponent have a peace treaty? Wouldn't it cause a war with me and other civ if they would attack on that particular city-state?

In my recent game AI has strange compulsion on taking city-state. Wich I capture back and liberate :)

No, they don't care. And sometimes city states declare total war, and then the AI can't make peace anyway. I find that if I ask (not demand) that an AI make peace with one of my friendly city states, they ussually agree (at no cost, which is probably a bug). But they don't actually think about whether its a problem before they attack.

And yeah, the AI is stupid to attack city states, they're worth more alive and free.

In a recent game I actually sported good relations up until about turn 200ish with Rome. We had together wiped out our opposition on the continent but now he started attacking my allied city-states one by one. I gifted them loads of units but in the end he swarmed them. He was still nice to me, gave good trades no sign of any bad mood there.

What could I do? Well, I had pledged to protect them but he ignored that. I asked him to make peace with the city state in trade screen, he wouldnt. I demanded it, he wouldnt. So now I came to realize there are no more diplomatic tools in the box, so I need to declare war. Seriously, I cannot have him take out my Maritime allies, that will not do. The absense of any means to directly adress the AI with diplomatic means is annoying, there is no nuance to it, there is only hard measures of war to take.

So I had to go down military route in an intented peaceful game and woops, game mechanics prodding me in the direction of war. So I missed out wonders and stood there with plenty production and a big army. Next target.

There could be an "ultimatum" option: "No, really, we're protecting Seoul. Let them alone or we're at war." (and the CSs wouldn't "declare permanent war on the civ" as they often do know)

yeah, it's pretty much nothing. If you had "marked" CS and AI declares and comes to you, you may say "it's OK, I don't care" or "It's not ok", which means for him that you don't like it and you may come to him and ask him to make peace with that CS. He may or may not agree according to your relationship.
Like Wu attacked my CS once, I came to her and asked to stop by choosing "make peace with" in trade screen and she accepted and made peace...
...Of course she became angry later and withdrawn our pact of coop. and later attacked me, but that's another story.

Top Bottom