Improve performance with Limit Worker mod

idragon

Chieftain
Hi Guys,

I have a decent PC, but due to horrible publisher (2k) CIV 5 was released unfinished, unpolished, etc, you know the story.

A great mate did some tests and found one of the problems of the optimization, more details here: http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94139 and here: http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94687

A player with the name "Perkus" made a mod to limit the workers to 1, by improving their movement and construction time, i tweaked that a little, but the original topic is here: http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1227896&postcount=28

I am reposting this for people that i didnt found out this fix, while waiting for patch that should be in game in the release candidate FFS!

What this mod do?

Limits all civs and civ states to 1 worker. In my case the worker unit has 4 movement units, and most of the things takes 3 turns to build, besides road. Check the xml.

To install:

Copy the folder in the archive to the Mods folder in your My Documents/Sid Meyer Fail Civ 5/. Go in game to you the mods browser and install "Limit Workers for Faster AI Turns (v 1)".

File to download: http://www.mmorpg-center.com/links/click.php?id=32

Hope it helps, i am not even sure about the upcoming patch on turn time, so yeah...

Many thanks to: Azzer007, Perkus and Sombrus for making this possible
Cheerios

While i think limiting CS workers to 1 is nice i don't think it's good for all civs even if they're faster . I think it will be extremely tedious to build railroad networks with only one worker. Isn't it possible to make a 3 worker limit for normal civs?

While i think limiting CS workers to 1 is nice i don't think it's good for all civs even if they're faster . I think it will be extremely tedious to build railroad networks with only one worker. Isn't it possible to make a 3 worker limit for normal civs?

+1. Having multiple cities with several improvements needed to work on is quite slow when you have 1 worker doing the road and the improvements at the same time.

Wow! The game is so much faster with just one worker each and now there's real incentive to go after those barbarian camps to get and keep the workers they've captured from other civs.

Thanks for this!:)

/me wants source code access... so workers are the new but improved trade route recalculation resource hog :mischief:

After u install the mod, go to the MODS folder, and find Limit Workerd mod. There, there is xml file named: Limit Workers.xml

Open that with a decent xml editor, like notepad plus and edit as you want:

Example:

As you will see below by replacing MaxPlayerInstance number, u limit the workers population for each civilization, in this case 2.

Code:
<!-- Limit each civ's building of workers to a maximum -->
	<UnitClasses>
		<Update>
			<Where Type="UNITCLASS_WORKER"/>
			<Set MaxPlayerInstances="2" />
		</Update>
	</UnitClasses>
	<!-- Speed up worker movement speed -->
	<Units>
		<Update>
			<Where Class="UNITCLASS_WORKER"/>
			<Set Moves="3" />
		</Update>
	</Units>
	<!-- Speed up build times for tile improvements & other work.  Note that 200 = 1 turn, 300 = 2 turns, 400 = 3 turns, etc.! -->
	<Builds>
		<Update>
			<Where Type="BUILD_ROAD"/>
			<Set Time="500" />
		</Update>

Unfortunately while this helps a lot towards speed, the game still has tons of problems.

On my e6750 dual core, 4gb Ram 800mhz, 1680x1050 (medium details, yeah lol, it works with full detail AA but maybe i get some increase in speed), and 5670 with 1gb DDR4, 775, 1050 i believe, Win 7-64bits, still is a hog.

Fortunately i moded my game so now i play with a decent speed on a large map with 8 civs, and 5 civ states, and Limit Worker mod to 2.

+1. Having multiple cities with several improvements needed to work on is quite slow when you have 1 worker doing the road and the improvements at the same time.

Limit the workers to 2 or 3, preferably 2, but remember with this mod, it increase the building speed, and movement speed, so overall tweaked is like before, but with a boost in speed.

I laugh my ass off, how we the player must fix this BETA, and pay for it. FFS!

Next CIV game i will pirate it, until i am sure it runs well, and its decent.

Taneda Santôka;9820857 said:
What would be the code to limit one worker per city owned ? Or even, one worker per city founded around the whole world ?
++;

Anyone know the answer to the above question?

Heh, I'm the guy who put this mod together @ threw it up on the 2k forums. I didn't get any feedback whatsoever on it over there, so I pretty much dropped the idea. I don't find the speed so bad personally to need it - I only play smaller maps. I had no idea this had been posted & is being used here! Cool, so it wasn't a total waste of time after all. Thanks, idragon, for putting it up here.

Anyway, in my experience this has been improved a ton in patch .62, so I didn't think this was necessary at all any more.

And no, there is no simple way to code it to be based on the number of cities you have. You can raise the limit to 2 or 3, and speed up the work done easily enough by editing the XML file.

Ok cool, thanks for the replies.

I tried it with 2 workers and it seems the AI has more unimproved tiles than normal. I turned it on because I wanted to play a large map, which even with a good PC (i7 920@3.8, GTX 480) slows down at the end game. I hadn't tried since the new patch though, maybe I will.

Heh, I'm the guy who put this mod together @ threw it up on the 2k forums. I didn't get any feedback whatsoever on it over there, so I pretty much dropped the idea. I don't find the speed so bad personally to need it - I only play smaller maps. I had no idea this had been posted & is being used here! Cool, so it wasn't a total waste of time after all. Thanks, idragon, for putting it up here.

Anyway, in my experience this has been improved a ton in patch .62, so I didn't think this was necessary at all any more.

And no, there is no simple way to code it to be based on the number of cities you have. You can raise the limit to 2 or 3, and speed up the work done easily enough by editing the XML file.

With the latest patch i saw an improvement in speed Perkus, but not by a lot. I still need to use the mod to actually have a good speed on 7 civs and 8 civ states after turn 300.

As for improvements i use 2 limit mod, and usually most of the cities of the AI have all improvements.

Thanks for the mod btw.

I found out that the workers of AIs were easily captured, and a lot of fields were not improved. I change the worker to the combat unit, and can not be captured any more, but they may be killed during war. I have an idea, if the worked is killed during war, the AI can produce one more, but I don't know how to make it come true, can someone kindly tell me how to do this?

I have an idea, if the worked is killed during war, the AI can produce one more, but I don't know how to make it come true, can someone kindly tell me how to do this?

I think that with the global limit of 1 unit, if it is killed or capture then you can build another one as you no longer have one. I guess the AI is smart enough to build another worker once he has lost one.

Top Bottom