Dieter's Europe CiV

Dieter VonClam

Chieftain
June 27th, 2011 - Added Stone resource

UPDATE June 7, 2011
Added Denmark DLC; though still located in Oslo to have a major civ in Scandinavia.
Moved Genoa to Benghazi
Tweaked Oil very slightly

UPDATE - VERSION 3 uploaded!
I completely revamped the map to deal with the 3 space minimum change; moved starting positions for Spain (N/E) and Berlin (E) from proper locations to allow better city settling ability. Completely reworked resources - less food and placed more strategically to allow for "realistic" city growth/population. Toned down luxury resources, but still enough to go around. Strategic have been adjusted but still in realistic locations and quantites adequate to field significant armies.

Hi Everyone;

This is a new map of Europe, the Med, North Africa and the fertile Crescent. It is very similar to my Europe map for Civ4 but with a bit more added to the east. I put this map together specifically for CiV, it is not a transfer.

Here's the link to the database file:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=15822

CIVs:
Arabia
Babylon
Egypt
England
France
Germany
Greece
Ottoman
Rome
Russia
Carthage - Songhai
Spain
Vikings - Japan
The Huns - Mongols
Celts - Iroquois (starting location is Budapest; would have used Vienna to represent Hallstatt but pushed them East to balance play a little.

There are also 26 City States on the map; most are in historical locations. Those that did not originate in these regions have had the city name changed and have been placed in city locations that I felt have some importance.

As always the map is plentiful in resources which are also in realistic locations. This is done to allow players to build a city congested empire/map while allowing each city to be realistically large and productive. Note: this will speed up game play and increase AI advantages making higher difficulty levels even more challenging

I will keep improving and modifying the map as we go. If anyone finds any problems or has any suggestions I'd love to hear them, so I can do my best to keep improving the map.

Thanks, and Enjoy!

NEW - Screen shots for v2:

Attachments

• civ5screen0008.jpg
    civ5screen0008.jpg
    395 KB · Views: 4,908
  • civ5screen0009.jpg
    civ5screen0009.jpg
    421.6 KB · Views: 4,723
  • civ5screen0010.jpg
    civ5screen0010.jpg
    429.2 KB · Views: 3,858
  • civ5screen0011.jpg
    civ5screen0011.jpg
    403.3 KB · Views: 3,747
  • civ5screen0012.jpg
    civ5screen0012.jpg
    415.3 KB · Views: 3,584
  • Civ5Screen0014[1].jpg
    Civ5Screen0014[1].jpg
    336.4 KB · Views: 2,788
Looks good, I like it, I haven't played a lot but the map is beautiful.
One note : in past experience with Europe maps, Greece should start in Thessaloníki, otherwise it always gets locked in its crappy starting position without expending, because right now, the starting position north is much more "fertile" for a young civ (and with fresh water).

Well I figured the map needed atleast a few "natural wonders", so I tried to use the most suitable replacements...

Krakatoa - Santorini (thought of either Vesuvius or Etna but since Santorini is a
smaller island it seemed to fit better)
Mt. Fuji - Mt. Ararat; it is a dormant volcano which fit and it has a similar profile
Old Faithful - the hot springs and geysers of Iceland
Great Barrier Reef - put it by the Canary Island's; there really is no fair comparison on the map. (Considering changing it the Red Sea)
Gibralter - easy

Map looks beautiful.. from a game balance perspective might want to try some tweaks around Rome, not only is Italy rather small in terms of territory but they get boxed in by city states as well. The AI seems to do terribly with them, and I'm not interested in playing them either because of the start location pretty much forcing an attack on a city state (which I am loathe to do).

I must say given the size constraints on the map I like this much better than whole-Earth maps.

Thanks for the compliments. I do agree that the AI normally does pretty awful for Rome. The AI also typically does poorly for England and the Arabs. I've been tweaking the map slowly to improve game play for those Civs. However, I havent uploaded it yet since it will take a week to clear moderation...

My latest game has worked out a little better for Rome; I refuse to remove Venice or Genoa as they played important roles in history, albeit long after the golden age of Rome. Here's a pic (they have 2 other cities on the Iberian Peninsula):

Attachments

• civ5screen0006.jpg
    civ5screen0006.jpg
    498.8 KB · Views: 1,761
Great map, thanks!

Yet only played one game, Egypt/Immortal/Epic. Germany got futuretech by the time I just got artillery.. Going to wait for my next game until the new patch and perhaps go down a difficulty level :)

I would hope someone could ad more civs, Spain, Chartage and so on.

Looks good so far. There are both Spain and Carthage mods out there. Also maybe the Mongols to keep Russia in check.

I do agree that the map needs more civs, especially Spain as France expands like mad for some reason. I've pondered using a substitute as I'm hesitant on adding a mod. Hopefully they come out with an official Spain civ soon I'll have a new version out shortly in which I intend to address the lack of civs in the game.

As for your egypt/immortal game - that's rough. I haven't made it that high on the difficulty scale yet. Have had some success at the King level with a domination and also a diplomatic victory. However, given the abundance of rivers and resources I'm sure that only amplified the advantages given to the AI on the higher difficulties. Plus Egypt might be a little more challenging start location compared to some others.

Dieter: Im hoping you could substitute a few civs for now. It may not be historicly accurate but It could be fun with civs in Spain, Chartage, Poland and Babylonia.

Cheers

The Babylonian's are already included on the map, and should work as long as you have bought/downloaded them. I'm working on making a few changes to the map and adding some more civs. I'll upload the new version in a day or two

Yeah, i was going to tell you about how Russia and France get OP really quick. I played as france in one of my 3 times through and it was easy cake taking over the world. Can't you give city states multiple cities? Maybe you can just give spain(madrid) like 3 cities.

looks nice and i will give civ5 with that another try

hope that someone can make a very very huge earth map based on this

Why am I not allowed to downlaod v2 of this map. I am very interested in it.

greetings Madfox

Played a game as Rome. Awesome map. :goodjob:

I was annoyed at the two city states blocking me off, but since they quickly hated each other I took one and got the other as a border ally as a bonus. :D

Why am I not allowed to downlaod v2 of this map. I am very interested in it.

greetings Madfox

The file is still in moderation queue; hopefully it doesnt take too long. Unfortunately the first version took about a week...

Of course they would come out with a Spanish Civ right after I update the map. Probably wont swap out Persia until I have more updates for the map; don't want it sitting in moderation queue for another week for one civ. Hope you are all enjoying the new version.

Bonus of the DLC is it gives me good reason to work on a new Atlantic map for CiV. Expect it early in the New Year

Top Bottom