I really don't get how people actually like this series.

Swein Forkbeard

Nintendo Fan
Seriously, Gamespot gave all the Civilization core games rating over 9 but game CtP1 a rating below 7 and CtP2 a rating just slightly above 7. And IGN has even rated CtP1 below 5 and gave CtP2 a 6. How could any Civilization fans possibly like these?

Because CTP has innovated, and once CTP series died, Civ4 has all robbed...

Clear isn't it ?

To be fair CtP1 & 2 copied a lot from the original Civ video game series, so it's not exactly unfair for Civ4 to take bits from CtP1/2.

Someone bottled it though by keeping the same archaic combat system in Civ4, instead of a true stacked combat system similar to CtP.

To be fair CtP1 & 2 copied a lot from the original Civ video game series, so it's not exactly unfair for Civ4 to take bits from CtP1/2.

Someone bottled it though by keeping the same archaic combat system in Civ4, instead of a true stacked combat system similar to CtP.

If you look correctly both IGN and Gamespot thought it was bad to be just reduced to "being a spectator" and while sending your entire army as one unit into battle you could randomly use some important or essential unit(s). That's why Civ4 kept the same "archaic" combat system.

If you look correctly both IGN and Gamespot thought it was bad to be just reduced to "being a spectator".

The IGN and Gamespot scores were right at the time. CtP2 was full of bugs and had no AI, but even back then there were a host of features superior to civ3 and still even civ4. Now all the major bugs are fixed by the Apolyton source code team, I see no reason to try civ4 again, unless you need 3D graphics for a TBS game. 3D makes it needlessly slower and more difficult to navigate IMO, at least the way it feels in civ4.

...and while sending your entire army as one unit into battle you could randomly use some important or essential unit(s). That's why Civ4 kept the same "archaic" combat system.

How is it random? You choose which units to group into an army before you attack, so how could you not know which units are being used?

Ignoring the fact that you would have to be stupid to group a unit into an army that you didn't want to fight, civ4 uses grouping too (but still simple 1v1 combat), so why couldn't you do the same "accident" in civ4? And grouping does become essential in civ4 at some point because moving 50+ units individually is completely out of the question. Which again makes the whole idea of grouped armies and combined arms battles (not 1v1) that much more superior for a game like this, much, much easier to use.

I personally like the CtP series because you can actually do something interesting past the modern age. I like the futuristic units, the undersea (and, to a lesser extent, space) cities. I kinda like not having to dedicate units to tile improvements, but that's not a major point.

really, what it is for me, is that there's an actual future, where as the civ games... kinda peter out in the future...

Seriously, Gamespot gave all the Civilization core games rating over 9 but game CtP1 a rating below 7 and CtP2 a rating just slightly above 7. And IGN has even rated CtP1 below 5 and gave CtP2 a 6. How could any Civilization fans possibly like these?
Poor ratings is not a reason for me to dislike a game. My own independent opinion is much more important.

Some people like oranges, some likes bananas. I happen to like both.

CTP1 had almost too many bugs to be playable. But I loved the concept. I look forward to try out CTP2.

Poor ratings is not a reason for me to dislike a game. My own independent opinion is much more important.

CTP1 had almost too many bugs to be playable. But I loved the concept. I look forward to try out CTP2.

Once you're familiar with the game, I recommend you try the Ages of Man mod, it's based on Cradle mod. It really shows what's possible in CtP2 modding.

You can find information how to download and install it here:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showpost.php?p=4996805&postcount=4

If that mod is too "epic" for you, then I suggest Call to Conquest or Medieval Mod.

I agree completely, if you base your dislike of anything on everyone else's opinion, you're a profanity I daren't use in this forum.
I also enjoyed CTP, I don't play it now because the CD is scracthed beyond repair, does anyone know if one can get the installation files from the net?
It's funny, an almost absolute opinion of dislike over the games is within the forum, yet since the revision and rendition of the culture conpect, Civ has been adding a couple of CTP concepts and recently, the Space Elevator wonder.

I totally agree with Maquiladora about the stacks and 1v1 combat.
It is something I totally missed from CTP. I've never been a big fan, I did like to play but the games was so long to finish !
Which is also something I really liked from CTP, like Prak the Mad said : there was a future, not Science III to search and no real improvement. Come on, it was fun to see the future and make sea cities ;)

It was fun to walk on cities and destroy them. Oh and this is something really missing : disband a city !!!
I remember killing a full Viking AI civilization running for space ...

Oh and terraforming ! The ecorangers when you had Ecotopia.
Haaaa so much fun :D

I have to say, I've always been fond of pixel design :lol:

I
I also enjoyed CTP, I don't play it now because the CD is scracthed beyond repair, does anyone know if one can get the installation files from the net?

I have a source, but i don´t know how legal it is (in the country i live is almost impossible to buy original games unless they are new [no more than a year old, 2 for very popular game])

But if you are interested i can send you the links to a disk image of the game.
(they are 9 MU links, not uploaded by me)

I thought it was cool how Call to Power extended further in technology than Civ 2/3/4 did. I also liked some of the combat features. However, I despised how much they compressed and 'balanced' the tech trees. Tanks > Musketeers. I don't care if it's 'balanced', anything else is ******ed.

What do i like from CT2?

+I like the Future Technologies.
+The state construction crews
+in the advanced game you can change every terrain
+the combat system is much better than in civilization, allowed a really good tactic (composition of the army)
+There are more government types as in Civ3.
+The few scenarios, such as the seven samurai, which are almost a tactical role-playing game, or the Alexander scenario, or the nuclear competition between two nations, show a great potential of this game.
+Many interesting non-military units such as the slave hunters or the televangelists.
Its a pity, that in civilization are only combat units existing.
+The underwater city

Civilisation 4 is my last Civilisation. I Play the demo of CiV and i dont like it.
This is not my Civilisation anymore.
I will search the Internet for alternative civ games like freeciv or c-evo.
I do not need a Graphic demonstration as CiV.

People like certain games over others because they enjoy them. People who buy or don't buy games because of review scores often miss out on a lot of games they'd otherwise enjoy. In my opinion the best way to gauge if you're gonna like a game is the 'try before you buy' approach.

However, I despised how much they compressed and 'balanced' the tech trees. Tanks > Musketeers. I don't care if it's 'balanced', anything else is ******ed.
What do you mean? You couldn't build tanks before you could build musketeers?

What do i like from CT2?

+The state construction crews
What crews was that? I don't remember.

People like certain games over others because they enjoy them. People who buy or don't buy games because of review scores often miss out on a lot of games they'd otherwise enjoy. In my opinion the best way to gauge if you're gonna like a game is the 'try before you buy' approach.
I agree, but it's not easy to try games before you buy them. Not without downloading them anyway. I remember when I could go into a store and test a game on one of their many computers. It was before everything had to be installed, I miss that. You could just insert the disk (or cassette or cartridge) and run the game.

Good old days aren't coming back. :(

Remake CALL TO POWER. NOW :mad:

Note: Call to power 2 is a piece of crap and probably the death of the series.
NO SPACE RAAAAAAAAH! D:<

CTP2 was better than Civ II and bugs aside better than Civ III until the expansions. Legal fictions aside, CTP II has a proud place as a fun and influential successor to Civ II. Game magazine ratings are as much or more about contacts and branding than actual game quality ... as the reviews of Civ V prove. Nike pay some sports stars millions to pretend to like their products, and the public believe they are better (even though it's the same low quality sportswear made in the same third world slave-houses as cheaper brands); similar thing with "Sid Meier's" post-Civ II brand franchise .

Top Bottom