Civ VI won't start!

Hi there! I figured if anyone could help me, it's y'all. I get a different error -- that "No compatible graphics device found. Please ensure that your system has a correctly configured, compatible graphics device."

I'm running DirectX 11, I have an ATI Radeon HD 4200, I'm using Windows 7 with all the updates, I have all the required RAM and HD space -- what's the problem?

Hi there! I figured if anyone could help me, it's y'all. I get a different error -- that "No compatible graphics device found. Please ensure that your system has a correctly configured, compatible graphics device."

I'm running DirectX 11, I have an ATI Radeon HD 4200, I'm using Windows 7 with all the updates, I have all the required RAM and HD space -- what's the problem?

I'm having the same issue with an ATI Radeon HD 4600. I'm on Windows 10 and have tried uninstalling the Graphics Driver, DirectX, and C++ Redistributable, running the game in compatibility mode, running as admin, and even tried deleting and reinstalling Civ and keep getting the same error. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Exactly the same problem here, "no compatible graphics device found". NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT, Windows 7. My PC doesn't fill the requirements but I've played under requirements before.

Me too, unfortunately. Tried running with an ATI HD 4850 pro. Any advice would be greatly appreciated !

• Video card: 1 GB DirectX 11 Video Card (AMD 5570 or Nvidia 450)
is the minimum spec card for this game according to various sties found on a google search for the specs.If you can't get it to run with lower cards I am sorry :/

Back to the original topic Did Raiki's solution on the previous page work for everyone? I had a problem with VC++ installation also but solved mine in a much more time consuming way before I visited this thread. If anyone is still having problems I can post what I did.

I still can't install 'Microsoft Visual C++ (2015)' correctly, uninstalling the old one worked for all but the 2008 version of which iI have like 5-6 of, some which are obviously corrupted. Windows Update us also messed up ("error 8008005"). Have contacted 2k but still no answer there.

So Olybarm please share if you have a solution.

Same problem, the game start with black screen and then close itself with no error log.
OK, how am I suppose to fix this when I got no error log?

Window 7, 64-bit
NVIDIA GeForce TGX980 Ti

I also have windows update issues that this did not resolve. I am running Windows 7 64 bit

I initially had Visual C++ but uninstalled it when my CIV 6 installation would get stuck at that part. I tried to reinstall it from a standalone download later but it would just fail and hang :/ .

First I deleted all CIV 6 local content off my drive from within steam
Then I followed the updated instructions on " http://superuser.com/questions/951960/windows-7-sp1-windows-update-stuck-checking-for-updates " on Moab's fix ( 108 ). Only the updated part from " Update: Microsoft has released a huge update rollup for Windows 7 SP1, this is similar to a service pack but they are not calling....... " and below, everything above that is now outdated. After the updates had finished installing and rebooting my pc I reconnected my pc to the internet.
I then went to " https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=48145 ". From there I downloaded the x86 and x64 versions of VC++ . I installed the x86 version followed by the x64 version without problems.

I hope this helps

Last edited:
I'm having the same issue with an ATI Radeon HD 4600. I'm on Windows 10 and have tried uninstalling the Graphics Driver, DirectX, and C++ Redistributable, running the game in compatibility mode, running as admin, and even tried deleting and reinstalling Civ and keep getting the same error. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

I am in exactly the same boat, but am running Windows 10. Do we have a fix?

Seems a lot of problems with this.

See screenshot of details of my card and the error message both below.

I have Windows 10. 64 bit. i5 chip. 6 Mb RAM. DX11. Drivers are up to date (as of an hour ago!)

Any advice? I really don't want to have to get a new card if I can avoid it and would rather get a refund. I did not expect this issue with a turn-based strategy game!

Graphics card.jpg

G card.jpg

Developers! Please give us hotfix to let us play the game we already paid for.....:undecide:

Same problem with ATI Radeon HD 4800 1GB dedicated plus 2 GB shared, is more than minimal requeired

Ok, I had the same issue. Bought the game on Steam (Digital Deluxe Edition), installed it, but it wouldn't start at all. Above solutions (deleting Alienware dll's as in the reddit post or reinstalling C++ 2015 Redistributables) didn't work.

BUT I found a fix too. When I tried to start the game directly from the games main executable ( [PlaceYouSpecifiedInSteam]\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Binaries\Win64Steam\CivilizationVI.exe ), I got the common 0xc000007b Error. This *is* a problem reletad to runtime redistributables, but on some (older?) systems, installing all the newest redistributables won't solve it. But there's a little utility program to fix it:
- Download "Techzone DX2": http://www.techgzone.com/techgzone-pro.html
- Start it and select the "0xc000007b Fix"
- Install the fix into your game directory (see above)
- Tadaaa, it should work (provided you do have the redistributables up to date)!

Yes, the techzone website and the tool can look a wee bit suspicious, but I used it many times over the last few years and never had any problems and it solved all my 0xc000007b errors, and I had quiet a few of them with newer games. Also works on Win 10 (I'm running Win 10, Asus RoG Laptop G55V, Nvidia 660M).

Hey guys!

I've had the same issue the past day and would like to share how I sorted it.

So, first off go Steam > steamapps > common > Sid Meier's Civilization VI.

Then, go to Base > Binaries > Win64Steam and try running the Civilization VI file. If you get a message with this error "Api-ms-win-crt-runtime-L1-1-0.dll", hopefully this should help.

From there, go back to Sid Meier's Civilization VI. Go to _CommonRedist > vcredist > 2015.

Run either the x64 or x86 depending on what your system uses, and hopefully it should install. (You only need to run the one that works with your PC, for me it was x64 so I only ran the x64 file.)

Then, go back to 2012 and do the same. Run either x64 or x86 depending on your system.

When you try and run CIV, there should still be an issue with launching.

Go to this link and download it if you use x64: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49093

Go to this link and download it if you use x86: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49077

After its downloaded, it should work!

I've spent hours trying to figure this out, it's worked for me and a friend. Both of our systems are Windows 7.

I did these steps in this order and it worked. I tried it in a different order before and it didn't work.

Hope this helps!

Seems a lot of problems with this.

See screenshot of details of my card and the error message both below.

I have Windows 10. 64 bit. i5 chip. 6 Mb RAM. DX11. Drivers are up to date (as of an hour ago!)

Any advice? I really don't want to have to get a new card if I can avoid it and would rather get a refund. I did not expect this issue with a turn-based strategy game!
Not sure, but if I googled it right, your GeForce GT 220 is 7 years old and minimum requirements list a GTS 450 ... so you actually might need a new one after all. Just because a game is turn based it doesn't mean that it won't use any graphic resources.

And to all those having difficulties installing the Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable, I reccomend the All In One Runtimes utility:
http://www.downloads.techradar.com/manualdownload/54450072
Should work on Win 7, 8 and 10 and make a clean install of the new versions as well as uninstalling old ones.

If the game still doesn't start, try the Techzone DX2 app to fix the 0xc000007b error fix (my previous post here).

So, I had the same problem on windows 7 x64, could not install C++ 2015.
Turns out it was because I was missing a lot of windows updates.
To make matters worse, windows would not manually download and install updates anymore.
After I set the Windows update process to update automatically (changed the clock so it would do it in a few minutes)
Windows downloaded the updates and prompted me to reboot. (had to do this twice as I was missing a lot of updates).
After all this, I manually installed C++ 2015, got no error, and was able to start CIV VI.

I've found this topic while looking for the solution to the same problem. Thanks for all the tips! I had to do a bit more than simply reinstall Visual C++ 2015. Here is what worked for me:
1. Uninstall Visual C++ 2015 Redistr (both x64 and x86 if you have them)
2. Install ALL Windows updates. This one was tricky for me - the Update was stuck at "checking for new updates". So I used a workaround:
2.1. I've installed WSUS Offline Update
2.2. Followed the instructions (except I've also checked Win 7 x64 Global box - not sure if it was the right thing to do, but it worked for me)
2.3. WSUS Offline Update finished its work (it had to reboot a couple of times in the process). I hoped that was it. But it was not the case. I had to "shut down to install new updates" several times for all updates to install properly. To keep track on what's going on I did the following:
2.3.1. Launch "Windows Update". You'll see a message that "XX updates are ready to be installed" or something like that. Note the number, but ignore the screen. 2.3.2. Start -> Shutdown
2.3.3. Turn the computer on again. Repeat 2.3.1-2.3.3 while there are any updates left.

If you have no problems with Windows update, simply use it and ignore 2.3.1-2.3.3.
2.4. Download and Install Visual C++ 2015 Redistr
Sorry for the longish description. But maybe it helps some poor soul out there who can't get his/her hands on Civ 6. ;)

Last edited:
Hey guys!

I've had the same issue the past day and would like to share how I sorted it.

So, first off go Steam > steamapps > common > Sid Meier's Civilization VI.

Then, go to Base > Binaries > Win64Steam and try running the Civilization VI file. If you get a message with this error "Api-ms-win-crt-runtime-L1-1-0.dll", hopefully this should help.

From there, go back to Sid Meier's Civilization VI. Go to _CommonRedist > vcredist > 2015.

Run either the x64 or x86 depending on what your system uses, and hopefully it should install. (You only need to run the one that works with your PC, for me it was x64 so I only ran the x64 file.)

Then, go back to 2012 and do the same. Run either x64 or x86 depending on your system.

When you try and run CIV, there should still be an issue with launching.

Go to this link and download it if you use x64: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49093

Go to this link and download it if you use x86: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49077

After its downloaded, it should work!

I've spent hours trying to figure this out, it's worked for me and a friend. Both of our systems are Windows 7.

I did these steps in this order and it worked. I tried it in a different order before and it didn't work.

Hope this helps!

This worked for me.
In my case, it seems the update of Win7 was the core of problem.
At first, this didn't work but ,after I installed SP1, this step worked.
Thanx Benski!!

I got it to work in a way that doesn't involve downloading anything. It worked for me, it may just work for you.

1. Close steam completely.

2. Go into this folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Binaries\Win64Steam (This may vary per person)

3. Run the executable from there.

I hope that works for you like it did for me.

Top Bottom