Mac System requirements per Aspyr

Oleary

OF
Supporter
Minimum System Requirements

Operating System: 10.11.6 (El Capitan) and 10.12 (Sierra)
Processor: Intel Core i5 (4 cores)
Processor Speed: 2.7 GHz
Memory: 6 GB
Hard Drive Space: 15 GB
Video Card (ATI): Radeon HD 6970
Video Card (NVIDIA): GeForce GT 775M
Video Card (Intel): Iris Pro
VRAM: 1 GB
Peripherals: Macintosh mouse and keyboard, Steam Controller (optional)
NOTICE: The following 1GB VRAM video cards are not supported to run Civilization VI:

NVIDIA® GeForce® 650M, 675MX, 680MX, 750M, 755M

ATI™ Radeon™ HD 5750, HD 5770, HD 5870, HD 6750, HD 6770

Intel® HD Graphics 4000, 5000, 5300, 6000, IRIS, 515

Updated: 10/24/16

Last edited:
Aspyr is now showing GeForce 775M as minimum graphics card. When did that happen? The only benchmark figures I can find are for the GTX775M, which has much faster clock speed, but lower 3D performance. Wondering where that leaves my MacBook Pro with the 650?
Anyone have any idea? (this isn't my thing)

Oh, you can't be serious...

Oh, my god, you're right!! Arrrgggghhhh!!!!!

Well, I still have it preordered, so I'll let everyone know how it goes.

THANKS ALOT, ASPYR!!! (NOT!!!)

:wallbash::aargh:[pissed]:ar15:

The one bright spot I can see in all of this is Aspyr seems to be a bit strange in their wording of all this... "minimum system requirements" "to maximize your experience", so it sounds like these are more like recommended specs than actual minimum ones.

Hey AspyrRyan, how do you think a 2015 15" MacBook Pro with 2.8 GHz, 512 flash hard drive, 16 GB RAM, and a Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB GPU handle the game? Will I be able to play the game on high settings and large maps?

Thanks for participating on the forum!

We made the move because of sluggish late game performance on larger maps with the 650.  The 1GB 650M is for the most part playable...it just doesn't meet our quality bar for EVERY potential playable section of the game.
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate your presence on these boards - very good customer relations. Just wondering - by "larger" do you mean bigger than "standard".

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate your presence on these boards - very good customer relations.

Agreed. I'm also glad you can tolerate crabby old farts. :)

Last edited:
I have a question maybe someone can answer - I have a late-2013 retina MBP that is pretty close to meeting the specs, but not 100% (Iris instead of Iris Pro, dual core instead of quad core I think are the only differences). I've heard a few times that the Mac system specs are higher than Windows because porting the game to Mac creates inefficiencies that aren't there in the Windows version of the game. Does this mean that I might have better luck running the game through Bootcamp? I have no idea how to compare my Mac running Windows against the Windows specs...

EDIT I don't really care about running the game on high, FWIW.

I have a question maybe someone can answer - I have a late-2013 retina MBP that is pretty close to meeting the specs, but not 100% (Iris instead of Iris Pro, dual core instead of quad core I think are the only differences). I've heard a few times that the Mac system specs are higher than Windows because porting the game to Mac creates inefficiencies that aren't there in the Windows version of the game. Does this mean that I might have better luck running the game through Bootcamp? I have no idea how to compare my Mac running Windows against the Windows specs...

EDIT I don't really care about running the game on high, FWIW.
In bootcamp your computer is just a windows computer. The hardware would be compared to the hardware requirements. it's the hardware that's important not the brand. Here's a link to the windows specs: http://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/civ-vi-system-requirements.575547/
I think you're borderline at best but probably closer in bootcamp than OS X.

I have a 2014 MacBook Pro with the 2GB 750M which now seems to just miss the cut. It does have the Iris Pro, but it seems odd that would run better with that than the 750M.

The thread (for the Windows version) about the PC being really below requirements but the game still running, is encouraging though. Now if Aspyr can get the game ready so we can find out how well it runs on all our below-specs Macs that were bought the past few years!

So... everyone else is doing it. As a long-time lurker, I may as well pop in and post my own system problems.

I have an iMac that until a week ago I didn't really consider old in any way whatsoever. I'm sitting here working on this big, beautiful 27" screen... but that may not be enough.

Processor: 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory: 24 GB
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M 512 MB

Like I said, I never thought this was bad. I routinely work with InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator all running at once, along with my browser and email and a small Netflix window on the side. Never have an issue. But the only big game I play is Civ V.

So should I just keep playing V until I'm able to afford a new computer in a few more years or what? :(

So... everyone else is doing it. As a long-time lurker, I may as well pop in and post my own system problems.

I have an iMac that until a week ago I didn't really consider old in any way whatsoever. I'm sitting here working on this big, beautiful 27" screen... but that may not be enough.

Processor: 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory: 24 GB
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M 512 MB

Like I said, I never thought this was bad. I routinely work with InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator all running at once, along with my browser and email and a small Netflix window on the side. Never have an issue. But the only big game I play is Civ V.

So should I just keep playing V until I'm able to afford a new computer in a few more years or what? :(

I'm wondering if we'll still be able to play even though we're borderline. Not apples to apples, but PC users are able to play below the minimum specs. Aspyr thinks they'll have it ready over the next few days so we'll know more. Steam has a 2 hour return policy, so no loss if it doesn't work.

Stumbled on the Aspyr Civ VI FAQ

https://support.aspyr.com/hc/en-us/articles/213487546-Civilization-VI-FAQ

NOTICE: The following 1GB VRAM video cards are NOT supported to run Civilization VI:

Not encouraging, hopefully they can optimize for some of the more recent cards after it gets released.

NOTICE: The following 1GB VRAM video cards are NOT supported to run Civilization VI:

Not encouraging, hopefully they can optimize for some of the more recent cards after it gets released.

I don't know what to think at this point. What's the point of allowing preorders if they're only going to back on their word before it comes out? (Don't answer that. I already know the answer.)

I'll just have to try it out and return it if things go south. Last time I'm ever preordering anything from Aspyr, though.

Kind of strange, the 750m is 2 GB. Not sure on the other cards but if that's the case my MBP is out.

Kind of strange, the 750m is 2 GB. Not sure on the other cards but if that's the case my MBP is out.

Are you sure there isn't more than one version? I didn't realize until this week that there was a 512 MB 650M (used with the 2.3 Ghz i7 version of my model).

Last edited:
Are you sure there isn't more than one version? I didn't realize until this week that there was a 512 MB 650M (used with the 2.3 Ghz i7 version of my model).
Very possible. Sounds like we'll have to wait until Mon or Tue and just try it out.

Okay. This might sound stupid, and probably is. I have a Mid-2013 MacBook Air, that has 1.2 ghz, Intel Core i5 Processor, 256 GB SSD. I can run games like CSGO, XCOM:EW, and CIV V at medium settings with ease. (Even though it says 2.2 ghz requirements and stuff.) So I was curious, if I can run these games so easily if this game could function on lower settings for me? -Thanks

+I preordered
If you preordered from Steam, you should be ok. You can return it if you play it less than 2 hours. As to the Air, what graphics card is in it? I really think we're just going to have to wait until Aspyr gets it converted and just try it out. I hate to say it, but I'm thinking about a dedicated Windows machine until Apple gets their act together.

Top Bottom