Amazon pre-order watch thread

So, Amazon started offering a $5 certificate, now it's $10? How high will they go? Mine is supposed to ship today; if it doesn't I'm not sure what I'll do.

They actually gave me 15 total so far. 5 dollars last night, and then 10 today. I confirmed I have 15 in credit. I don't care about the money, though. I just want the game for the weekend....

Update: Just got the email from Amazon that my copy shipped. Supposed to be here Monday. Guess I'll have to play Planet Coaster all weekend instead. Fun, but.... not what I was planning.

Here's an interesting complication:

I originally pre-ordered an Anniversary Edition from both 2K and Game Stop (in-store pickup) because originally Amazon sold out. I eventually was able to place my Amazon order and I canceled my 2K order but not my Game Stop one.

I just called Game Stop and my copy did arrive for in-store pickup! So if I don't get a shipping update from Amazon in the next day or two, I think I might just go with my Game Stop order.

A. If I cancel the Game Stop order and wait for Amazon, I think I will have to pay a $5 charge for the canceled Game Stop order, but the Amazon order is $18 cheaper.

B. If I take the Game Stop order and cancel Amazon, I will be paying the extra $18 (though that is partly offset by the $5 certificate).

C. I could take the Game Stop order and if the Amazon order comes within a month, I could then try to return the Amazon copy at Game Stop (this is presupposing that the items are identical).

D. Or I could just take both. Grab the Game Stop one for now. And just keep the Amazon one if it ever arrives. Don't quite know what I would do with a second copy but I'm sure I could find a use for it!

Any suggestions? What would you do in this situation?

I am the one with the Amazon copy that was delayed until December. I did almost exactly what you did, option D. I bought the Gamestop version last night online (anniversary edition), and it turns out they have it and it arrived this morning (I had to pay a lot extra, but that's okay for me I guess), and now I'm playing away. I'm thinking about just keeping the Amazon copy if it ever comes and seeing if I can sell it or gift it or something.

I've had almost the same experience. I may just cancel and go digital. I was thinking about best Buy but I have this vision of either showing up to find it not in stock or ordering it online, showing up, seeing it behind the shelf but they won't give it to me because the order hasn't processed yet or something.

If you do go to Best Buy I'd be curious whether they actually have real physical copies and whether they're out and available on the floor.

I got an email saying my order is ready for pickup. MOST of the Best Buy's around Austin, TX had "1-3 copies in stock" but of course not the one right down the street from my office LOL. So whether I show up and its the standard edition and not the anniversary remains to be seen, but it looks promising. Don't get the 20% off like I did from Amazon and Best Buy won't price match since Amazon doesn't have it in stock... but that's partially offset by the apology $5 and 1 free month of prime amazon gave me as "apologies".

I got an email saying my order is ready for pickup. MOST of the Best Buy's around Austin, TX had "1-3 copies in stock" but of course not the one right down the street from my office LOL. So whether I show up and its the standard edition and not the anniversary remains to be seen, but it looks promising. Don't get the 20% off like I did from Amazon and Best Buy won't price match since Amazon doesn't have it in stock... but that's partially offset by the apology $5 and 1 free month of prime amazon gave me as "apologies".
Open the box up in the store if you get the 25th anny edition. Mine is missing the cloth map. Overall, not impressed with the quality either. 25 years of Civ I was expecting more. Oh well, loading the game so maybe that will make up for the disappointment...

To be fair.. it is only $10 more than the digital deluxe edition and has all the same content as it plus the coins and art book and you actually get a dvd of the game. I was really hoping for a CD copy of the soundtrack but I haven't heard anyone say it came with one (I have the CD soundtrack from Civ IV, but V just put in a code). The Civ IV special edition was GREAT.

Mine is out for delivery today, and looking at the tracking info from UPS, it shipped out from the local Amazon fulfillment center 20 miles from my house 4 hours ago. MyUPS tells me it should be here along with one other package I'm expecting today between 10am and 2 pm (It's now 9:12 am).

Update: It just arrived.

Delivery confirmation...my collectors edition is sitting outside my door! I've got the new menu music and Calling All Dawn's queued up for the ride home to get me pumped.:goodjob:

Sorry to all those struggling with their Amazon orders. :cringe:

Update: Still no news from amazon, last night I went ahead and got the digital preorder via another vendor. I wonder if they'll ever ship this thing or if they'll just say: "whoops, we sold more than we got, sucks to be you".

Update: Still no news from amazon, last night I went ahead and got the digital preorder via another vendor. I wonder if they'll ever ship this thing or if they'll just say: "whoops, we sold more than we got, sucks to be you".

Yup, I'm in this boat... not happy. Waste of all this time I had set aside this weekend and won't be able to easily make again.

Amazon just sent an e-mail claiming it will arrive wednesday, but using their flow which asks if you still want the items, eg:

"We're encountering a delay in shipping your order. The new delivery date is indicated below. If you still want to receive these items, please let us know. We apologize for the delay."

I said I still want them, I wonder if they'll show up?

Open the box up in the store if you get the 25th anny edition. Mine is missing the cloth map. Overall, not impressed with the quality either. 25 years of Civ I was expecting more. Oh well, loading the game so maybe that will make up for the disappointment...
I didn't receive a map either, which as far as I remember was not advertised as an included item.

I moved and even though I notified Amazon of my new address and have had packages delivered to the new address they sent my Collector's Edition TO MY OLD ADDRESS.

Been on the phone with Amazon/UPS for an hour trying to straighten this out.

I'll be lucky if I'll be playing a week from now.

Bummer. I don't get to play on the 21st.

I expected better from the company owned by the seventh richest man in the world.

I didn't receive a map either, which as far as I remember was not advertised as an included item.

I didn't remember that as an included item either. Saw it on an unboxing video from a Norwegian. Perhaps it was a European exclusive? (This is how desperate I am to play -- I've been reduced to living vicariously through strangers' unboxing videos. Sad, really.)

Woohoo, just got an update, it has finally shipped and will arrive tomorrow by 8 p.m.

(It had said shipping today, arriving Tuesday for the past few days.)

They told me they can't guarantee delivery before November 1. Amazing. Seriously tempted to say screw it and just download on steam.

I didn't remember that as an included item either. Saw it on an unboxing video from a Norwegian. Perhaps it was a European exclusive? (This is how desperate I am to play -- I've been reduced to living vicariously through strangers' unboxing videos. Sad, really.)
Y'all are right, it wasn't part of the package. I saw the same video... Ah well, first world problems. I had plans for that damn map though.. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yeah, I was grousing to my husband yesterday about not having the game to play this weekend and realized it is indeed a first-world problem. Which means it's an inconvenience and not a real problem.

FedEx tells me that my copy is now in a city about a 4-hour drive away yet it won't be delivered 'til Monday. Oh, the inhumanity!

They now say I should get mine on the 26th, and that they have two of them available for purchase at $114.80+ $5.18 shipping.

Yeah, I was grousing to my husband yesterday about not having the game to play this weekend and realized it is indeed a first-world problem. Which means it's an inconvenience and not a real problem.

FedEx tells me that my copy is now in a city about a 4-hour drive away yet it won't be delivered 'til Monday. Oh, the inhumanity!
Find a nice restaurant in said city. Tell hubby you're taking him to lunch... Getting FedEx to open on Sunday might be a bit of struggle. Oh well, no plan is perfect. :) For what it's worth, game is great. Frustrating, but great. You'll have a blast on Monday.

Top Bottom