Revisions working/not working in MP

I will post here some reports on revisions working/now working in multiplayer, I hope other people will report their experience too.

Last revision 1042 was causing troubles, we had to abandon a couple of games around Middle Age because of frequent OOS (every 2-3 turns on Blitz speed). I'm working on fixing this.
I remember that until some revision ago I didn't have so many oos in another game, but maybe conditions were different (many wars now, not so many in previous game).

Edit: tried rev1043 and we've played 17 more turns (blitz speed) without oos, maybe that specific OOS (possibly connected with First Strike) has been solved.

More will follow.

Last edited:
Hey, i am planing a Lan Party for the comming Saturday and wondering if the current build is stable for that ?
We are 4 people in total!

Hey, i am planing a Lan Party for the comming Saturday and wondering if the current build is stable for that ?
We are 4 people in total!

Good question, if you find out let me know. I'm currently playing 2 MP games with a friend and with my wife. Never had a chance to try more than 2 players at the same time so I really don't know.
If you follow my advices in the other topics in this subforum you should be mostly ok; at least ancient and classical era are mostly fine.
I suspect that there's something in the combat code that might throw the game oos; when you reach Medieval Era, that's usually where real wars start and where troubles start. With previous revisions I've been able to reach modern era, but I haven't tested current one after medieval era. In theory, it should be more stable. In practice, I've found some unexpected oos in one of my games, so I'm still running some test.
Please, let me know your experience.

@Starfury12 , which timezone are you? I'm at GMT+1 (Central Europe). If not this time maybe another time we can arrange a bigger MP game. Also, if you or your friends are willing to help in tracking down OOS, you're more than welcome.

We are in GMT+1 aswell ( City of Vienna), thanks for the info and we would love to help,
though for the purposes of this particular LAN-Party we would like to actualy make it to the modern era, so we are a bit on the fence ^^
Thank you for your fast reply !

We are in GMT+1 aswell ( City of Vienna), thanks for the info and we would love to help,
though for the purposes of this particular LAN-Party we would like to actualy make it to the modern era, so we are a bit on the fence ^^
Thank you for your fast reply !

:lol: Don't tell me, I would also like to make it to the modern era and I'm planning a LAN party with 2 more friends when I'm sure the game is really stable.
I suggest you don't try a speed slower than Normal if you're testing the game for the first time. I always play on Blitz since I'm still testing the game.
By the way we're not that far geographycally, as you can see from my nickname :lol:

Current MP game with my wife, rev1043; turn 162/600 and no OOS yet. But there's been only a very short war for me and none yet for my wife except against barbarians. Let's see how it goes once real wars start.

Thank you for the Update, that is good to hear, what Settings (Gamespeed, Map Size, Mod Settings ) Are you playing on ?
(We are planning a 16 hour straight Lan Party, i am thinking Standard gamespeed should work for that but not sure )

Thank you for the Update, that is good to hear, what Settings (Gamespeed, Map Size, Mod Settings ) Are you playing on ?
(We are planning a 16 hour straight Lan Party, i am thinking Standard gamespeed should work for that but not sure )

Well, we usually play with Blitz gamespeed, Large maps, using MegaCivPack, Simultaneous Turns, Totestra mapscript, Mastery Victory, Multiple Production/Research, Usable Mountains, Assimilation, Religion decay, Revolution, No tech brokering, Advanced Diplomacy, Aggressive AI, Raging Barbarians, Realistic Culture Spread. Also under BUG options Flexible Difficulty, Flexible AI, 40 units-per-tile limit. Anyway you can read which options to avoid in the other thread.

Current MP game with my wife, rev1043; turn 162/600 and no OOS yet. But there's been only a very short war for me and none yet for my wife except against barbarians. Let's see how it goes once real wars start.

Update, turn 193/600: we had an OOS at turn 175 but it was solved with recalc (ctrl+shift+t), then again at turn 176 again solved with recalc (always no need to reload), then again at turn 177 and this time we had to reload the game (recalc didn't work). Then nothing more until turn 193 when we stopped for the moment. Currently in Medieval Era, there have been some wars and some cities conquered and yet no OOS. When the game went OOS human players weren't involved in any war.

Probably something that must be avoided when attacking is selecting the whole stack: always attack with a single unit at a time

We unfortunately did not get past turn 8 and 4 repsectively so we played Vanilla in the end !

We unfortunately did not get past turn 8 and 4 repsectively so we played Vanilla in the end !

Sorry to hear that but IMO it's probably due to someone having a different configuration. It takes some patience to run the mod flawlessy. In my 2 current games, with my wife and with RyoHazuki, we don't have such early problems. Another hypothesis is that more than 2 players might increase OOS problems but I don't think this is your case. Such an early OOS is either caused by some option or by someone having a different configuration.
When I'm finished with my current test games if you wish you can join us and we can try a new game with more than 2 players.

Update, turn 193/600: we had an OOS at turn 175 but it was solved with recalc (ctrl+shift+t), then again at turn 176 again solved with recalc (always no need to reload), then again at turn 177 and this time we had to reload the game (recalc didn't work). Then nothing more until turn 193 when we stopped for the moment. Currently in Medieval Era, there have been some wars and some cities conquered and yet no OOS. When the game went OOS human players weren't involved in any war.

Probably something that must be avoided when attacking is selecting the whole stack: always attack with a single unit at a time

Update, turn 230/600: OOS have been more frequent; after OOS in turn 177, we had 3 more at turns 199, 216 and 230. Game is still very playable, some wars going on against AI. Not too bad so far since at this stage of the game each turn can last 1-2 minutes at least it means 1 OOS every 20-30 minutes. Not very good, but not too bad either. I'll keep you all updated.

Update, turn 268/300: we had 3 OOS in a row between turn 247 and 248, two at the same turn (after reloading), probably caused by some promotion to a spy. I think I've found a fix/workaround for these ones, I'll upload it once I'm sure it works. Played up to turn 268 and no more OOS yet. We'll continue hopefully during the weekend.

Unfortunately we had to abandon game around turn 305/600. We had a couple of OOS in a row but that was not a problem, I might have found cause and workaround. Problem is that the game irreversibly crashed on the same turn because of the volcano/dark age event. reloading from older save had no effect, there's been no way to avoid that crash. Latest revision from today, Rev1045, should have some fix, included disabling that event in MP (but you probably need it from the start of the game).
I will keep you informed on the next game, playing with revision 1045.

Just started new MP Direct IP game, two players vs 15 AI on freshly upgraded to 1045 version. Unplayable, within first about 10 turns - 3 OOS errors. Version 1041 had occasional OOS problems but was much more stable for us.

Just started new MP Direct IP game, two players vs 15 AI on freshly upgraded to 1045 version. Unplayable, within first about 10 turns - 3 OOS errors. Version 1041 had occasional OOS problems but was much more stable for us.

Definitely some settings you're using or you don't have identical options or files. Are you sure you have followed my advices to the letter?

Cool, it seems my friend did something to his files and did not update them correctly (had checked some of them to be excluded). False alarm! After fixing this it's ok.

Top Bottom