Surprised Oromos

Cunaxa

Chieftain
In a game i just abandoned, I had a stack consisting of many War Elephants, many Trebs/Cats and a few Oromos.

I expected to get attacked by 5-10 Cataphracts and a few Pikemen and thought there was no danger, because my Formation Elephants would defend against the Cataphracts and the Oromos against the Pikes. But after they already had to defend against 2-3 catapults the poor Oromos (Drill III or IV) were quite surprised when they were taken out by the Cataphracts before the Pikes were able to kill the highest promoted Elephants while there were no Oromos left.

It was on a hill (not in a city) so the Oromos had +25% and the Drill IV ones had also +10% vs. mounted units,

9 * 1.35 = 12.15 STR + the first strikes (since Cataphracts are not immune)

The Formation Elephants would have had (Combat I/II + Formation)

8 * 1.95 = 15.6 STR

The Cataphracts had Combat I/II

12 * 1.2 = 14.4 STR

As mentioned the Oromos had already defended against some catas, so they didn't even have their full 9 base strength while more than enough Formation Elephants were still unharmed after the siege attacks.

Can anyone tell me what I am missing here? :crazyeye:

After the catapults, the elephants take normal collateral damage and the drill oromos take very little collateral damage, right? Doesn't that explain things?

Yea that was my first guess too but many elephants were 100HP afterwards. Maybe it was because I had a super medic on the tile and they were healed afterwards. But strangely in the combat log it said 2 times that I suffered collateral damage only on 2 units and there were 10+ elephants so I'm still wondering what was going on there.

Top Bottom