Failed to Start Game: Missing executable

cairnsy44

Gooner - first class
I put this issue to the Steam Help Desk earlier this morning. Sadly, no reply yet. I followed their advice to trouble shoot but no luck. The game still won't play. When I look at the files, I am wondering why it is not loaded into the usual location (Documents>My Games> CivVI) Instead it is in Steam> Steam apps> Civ VI
and after that, there are only 2 folders with almost no game related files.
Is anyone else coming across this issue? I have re-installed and verified cache twice with no positive results.
It looks to me like it failed to install properly and doesn't know it.

Have you tried validating game cache? Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling?

Moderator Action: Moved to Tech Support forum.

I have the same issue it only displays the maps: DLC and CommonRedist.
Its missing the actual game and its size is only 750mb.
Uninstalling the "game" and verifying the integrity of the game cache doesnt solve the issue.

I am having the same problem. I validated cache twice and even reinstaled Steam but the executable is still missing

Clearly a borked installation. All I can recommend is to uninstall completely (including manually deleting any remnant files and folders) and try again.

Screen Shot 2016-10-21 at 17.11.43.png

Mine is doing the same thing 130MB. I discovered later that I only have Windows 7 32 bit operating system (yes I know, I am an idiot for not knowing this beforehand). Do you think that would cause the botched install? Or would it allow me to install the full game and then just not launch?

Anyway, new OS on the way, until then I am trying to figure out if I have 2 problems or just the 1.

Clearly a borked installation. All I can recommend is to uninstall completely (including manually deleting any remnant files and folders) and try again.

That was the first thing I tried. Twice. Sadly it did not work. 2K support has responded and am trying some of their suggestions but not having success just yet. I may have found an error that is causing it, but not sure as of yet. Will update with details if it works. They suggested verifying the cache as well (failed to fix issue) and to reinstall DirectX (also failed to fix it).

(update) still nothing from Steam Support and I submitted it over 4.5 hours ago.
2K has not responded to my reply over an hour ago.

Last edited:
What version of windows are you running? XP/7/8/10? 32 or 64 bit? (look in control panel/settings/about ... or around there - it's different for each windows version)

For anyone with an installation of Civ 6 on Steam; the Civ6.exe has the following path:
Steam>Steamapps>Common>Sid Meier's Civilization VI>Base>Binaries>Win64Steam> CivilizationVI.exe

Hope this helps you all! ;)

For anyone with an installation of Civ 6 on Steam; the Civ6.exe has the following path:
Steam>Steamapps>Common>Sid Meier's Civilization VI>Base>Binaries>Win64Steam> CivilizationVI.exe

Hope this helps you all! ;)
I appreciate the help but i think you're missing the point here.
I dont have the CivilizationVI.exe file heck i dont even have the common map.
The only thing present in the civ6 folder are the dlc and the _CommonRedist map

Most of the questions seem to be where the .exe is. Being that the .exe is in a totally different location than all the other civ's of the past; I figured it was worthy of note. Some people might think because they don't see the executable (in the usual location), the problem getting the game to run lies in the fact they're missing the .exe ; when it fact there's another issue the program is having ;)

Last edited:
What version of windows are you running? XP/7/8/10? 32 or 64 bit? (look in control panel/settings/about ... or around there - it's different for each windows version)
I think this will prove to be my issue. I am in the process of upgrading from 32 to 64 bit. I mistakenly thought I was already 64 bit. I will let you all know if that does the trick. It had better. I may cry if it doesn't.
Update: this solved my issue. I played today and am enjoying it, though I know I am not playing it well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom