Multiplayer First Reactions

Onan

Dad
So, what's the verdict?

Built for MP, or are we an afterthought again?

(GMR still around?)

I'm interested to hear everyone's feedback. I'd need a new machine to play...

No one seems to be joining my public mp game... Maybe I've not understood something correctly? There also seems to be very few games to join (like 10 games total), and they're all using the Aztecs, which I don't have access to. You'd think there'd be more games visible, like a 100 at least, as the game is brand new. Is everyone still testing sp or just playing with friends only? I wanted to test the multiplayer for our custom game on the next weekend, but I'd actually have to get to play it first. :crazyeye:

EDIT: I tried joining random public games... Kicked twice for choosing Gilgamesh! :lol: Or maybe for some other reason... Seems like an oversight that you can't prevent people from picking Civs that are op.

Last edited:
Civ6 will be regionally filtered games list just like Civ5, come to Civplayers steam group chat and we can get around that limitation http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791431089902 click Enter Chat Room, plus the people tend to be alot more mature than your random lobby games

CS

I managed to join a game and apart from a few dcs (which were swiflty reconnected), played on Online speed until the Renaissance era... I spawned in the middle of the map; first I took one city from Spain, but then Brazil declared from the other direction and crossbow rushed me basically to death. :eek::goodjob: It seems that Crossbows and Knights are pretty op units. Although as Kongo, I spammed my special units as well and did well for a while with them. That lack of resource requirement is a real boon, I can tell you that!

Online speed seems way too fast for me, and simultaneous turns make warfare into too much of a click-fest. With dynamic turns, though, other players will have to do too much waiting. Maybe with fewer players it would work, but 6 is already pushing it.
The turn timer was way too quick as well; you barely have time to click on what to research next, let alone ponder it. Basically you have to know the game inside out if you want to use the timer (not a problem for many competitive players, I imagine, but for casual ones it will be).

All in all it was pretty much as I expected. Not bad for a first-ever Civ multiplayer experience! :D

So basically it is dead before even starting again.

I think you are being a little dramatic, Civ6 MP works, some options will be delivered in the near future that we want, Civ5 MP was loads worse than this and we still managed to have MP for a couple years

CS

Thats true the problem i see in many of civ 6 features is the same as civ5 release: they didnt work 1 minute on them.
In civ5 they remove religion, ok, but in 6 they put a bad copy of civ5 religiong, without all the feature, and all the balance of BnW and without even trying to balance it. Which is worse? in civ you have nothing, in 6 you have something that doesnt work and that they didnt develop at all.

MP apparently is exaactly they same, they kept the unusable steam regions and servers and we are back at civ 5 release status, sure apparently at least it works... wow, did they even work one hour on civ 6 MP ? I kinda doubt it... There doesnt seem to be any improvement from civ5. So what did they actually do in all these years?

After 3 games

1. boost for techs and civics prevent snowballing, people who are min-maxing can't get them all and very many of them require a tech from the other tree or a building being built etc. So you need to progress on a much broader front.
2. City state snowballing. So imagine 3 scientific city states and you get suzeranity with 6 envoys of all three of them and you have 4-6 campuses and all of a sudden you are snowballing.

Basically boosts make beelining certain techs and civics harder, not easier, since you need to focus elsewhere to get the boosts and city states giving bonues per district might be op.

So just played a full game with a couple of friends, impressions:
- We played on emperor, 4 players, 4 ais. Two ais were wiped out easily, one was way ahead of everyone for most of the game and together with another of the players knocked one the humans out, before combined effort took this ai down too. We ended up spending most of the game cooperating against the ai instead of destroying each other. The three remaining players were well balanced, and we had no clear idea who was going to win. Stemaroll effects seem to be mostly under control here with everything being based on flat bonusses.
In the end, the remaining ai got a surprise religious victory in (two of us had ignored religion, and when the third took out the last civ, the ai jumped on the opportunity). A very anticlimatic ending to our game, but we enjoyed the learning experience.
-Stability seems way better, but at the start we still had some issues desyncing. Once we changed hosts by reentering the game it went way better. We had no problems reconnecting, loading autosaves and all of that. Didn't see any double turns either. So technically it seems much better, but still not perfect.
- AI behavior is appropriate. They appear to act very similar to single player. You just get nice little popups in the bottomright whenever they want to tell you something.
- Military is definitely still king. Production seems a good second. Science and food didn't seem nearly as impactful as it had in longer civ 5 games.
- Starting land balance and so on felt acceptable, it didn't seem to matter as much as in civ 5. The only one who got dealt a crappy hand was one surrounded by 3 militaristic civs (the one human who died before the end), but you can't really prevent that sort of a thing anyway.
-Kind of lacking in good mapscripts atm. But I'm sure that won;t be a problem in a few months.
- Some of the mechanics just felt fun, deep and absolutely positive additions to both single/multiplayer. Districts are great, the new culture/governments/etc system felt good. Sieges felt better, some of the support units are cool. We also got positively surprised by the power of the religious victory.
- It was long. Too long. We played on quick, and duration wise it felt more like a civ 5 standard game. Took us 12 hours to lose a rather quick defeat in terms of gameturns. We may try either the multiplayer speed option or one of the scenarios next.
- We all had our little peeves here and there about some quirks about balance (food seems weirdly weak when you;re constantly capped by housing), flow of the game (what's the deal with the mad beeline towards anti-tankguns?) and ai functioning, but nothing stood out as super major this first attempt. Nothing like the overpowered ranged units of civ 5.

Overall, we honestly had a very good experience. I much prefered it over civ 5, while still feeling like a similar sort of experience. Obviously just a first impression, and maybe we'll bump into more things. But with this as a first build, before patches.expansions and with the option of multiplayer modding, I can't really see it go the wrong way.

Top Bottom