The Third World War 1989

Republic of Korea army. By the 80s they had dropped the M16 for the home-built K2, sort of an M16 receiver mated to an AK gas system.
Woodland, Korean wave (SF), Korean turtle (navy) camo. By the 90s they all moved to woodland.

Japan next.

Attachments

• Tanelorn ROK Army.png
    Tanelorn ROK Army.png
    17.3 KB · Views: 1,076
Last edited:
Then, I guess JDF, Taiwanese, Bangledeshi, Sir Lankan (a Tamil Tiger with that would a real treat!), and some Southeast Asian infantry (the latter who have been stuck in the '60's-'70's last drawn like the Koreans were stuck in the '50's), would round up this collection nicely...

Thanks guys. Ok Pat, Taiwanese are next.
These are Japanese Self Defence Force troops, before the adoption of Howa 5.56 rifles and Type III flecktarn camo in the 90s. So Type I camo almost exclusive to airborne units. The rest would be good generic troops if they didn't have Japanese only gear and weren't a couple of pixels on the short side.

The last guy I only tweaked a bit so he doesnt get a sig.

Attachments

• Tanelorn JSDF 1980s.png
    Tanelorn JSDF 1980s.png
    14.6 KB · Views: 861

Taiwanese/ Republic of China armed forces, 1980s. Seriously into 'Nam style lizard camo, going from M14s to an AR18 derivative. No berets.

Attachments

• Tanelorn Taiwan 1980s.png
    Tanelorn Taiwan 1980s.png
    11.3 KB · Views: 705

Thanks for the like, Gapetit.
The Srilankan army of the 1980s, Tamil Tigers next.

Attachments

• Tanelorn Sri Lanka 80s.png
    Tanelorn Sri Lanka 80s.png
    15.9 KB · Views: 732
These look very good! :)

Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam: Black Tigers= elite assault/ suicide squads, Sea Tigers= boading parties.
Burmese Tadmadaw and Thai army plus insurgents next.
Thanks P!

Attachments

• Tanelorn Tamil Tigers.png
    Tanelorn Tamil Tigers.png
    11.4 KB · Views: 659
Last edited:
Say, any chance of including the LTTE logo as a unit flag shield? To be honest, even though I can't draw, or even tweak these units themselves worth a damn, I've been trying my hand of late at national, faction, and unit flag shields I felt there was a chance I might need in potential future scenarios, and I think I've done quite well and gotten the hang of many of them IMHO (I can post a collection for all to see at some point), but some are just too intricate, and I'm afraid this may be one of them.

Attachments

• Ltte_emblem.jpg
    Ltte_emblem.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 160

Chile 1980s. Potty helmets limited to parades and mech infantry. Camopedia says they employed US tricolour desert camo since the mid 80s, which is some questionable b5t since the US adopted it in the mid 90s...

Attachments

• Tanelorn Chile 80s.png
    Tanelorn Chile 80s.png
    13 KB · Views: 726
Last edited:
Modern Myanmar flag and Galils instead of G3s for TMD, Karen KNLA rebels as well.

Attachments

• Tanelorn Modern TMD and KNLA.png
    Tanelorn Modern TMD and KNLA.png
    10 KB · Views: 622
Awesome!

Thailand, Bangladesh, the Indo-Chinese countries, Malaysia, Singapore, and Indonesia are left, I assume?

Sure P, I would also add the Philipines to that list. The Kachin Independence Army is here to round up main TMDs opponents. Thailand comes next.

Attachments

• Tanelorn KIA.png
    Tanelorn KIA.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 606
Funny I'd forget the Philippines. I know quite a few Filipino immigrants in RL. It's a bit ironic I suppose... ;)

I had that covered with "Indo-Chinese nations." ;)

Sure, I'll do both.
On the other hand, the ship thread gets more views per post than this one, but no comments or requests. I wonder why that is...
The Royal Thai Army:

Their most popular camo, dating back to the Vietnam war era is the older Shadowtiger pattern -4th row. In the late 80s the green ERDL -2nd row- was standardised for all branches (pretty much up to now, though pixelated recently). The royal marines -last row- use standard US ERDL colours insread.
They have since started replacing their HK33s/M60s with Israeli Tavors/ Negevs and dumped their M16s to the reserves.

Attachments

• Tanelorn Thailand 80s.png
    Tanelorn Thailand 80s.png
    26.1 KB · Views: 701
Top Bottom