CivOne - An Open Source remake of Civilization 1

I've been testing the new version and so far so good, no crashes! I'll just be posting bugs on Github.
New website looks good. My suggestion - post info on the newest preview alpha version on the main page (along with the version number).

I would be great if we could play/finish an entire game in the CivOne engine before 16 December 2016.

I've added the date to my calendar.
I'll be eating cake that day.

...watching SWY eating a cake on December 16 (virtually, or via livestream). ;)

Last edited:
This is really great and can't wait for a final release!

Its a shame this is Windows only though. Would be great to see a cross platform version, even for iOS and Android.

Hello, I'm back! Hopefully ready to get back to fixing bugs this weekend, I'll try to get a new preview out within a week. :D
Did I miss anything? :mischief:

@DukeNukem
It is cross platform though: Right now it compiles and runs pretty well on Linux and macOS.
I'm secretly experimenting with porting everything but the GUI to .NET Core, which would make it a lot easier to port the game to iOS/Android and Windows UWP. That port has a slightly lower priority than getting the Linux and macOS versions fully operational though.

I found out that trying to load civDOS save games crashes the app now. I think it used to work before.

Sorry, didn't see it there... but I found another issue: when trireme carries a diplomat and isn't an active unit, it goes invisible.

I also experienced a crash but that was probably because I hacked barbarians move to random directions. However I guess the reason for the crash was that the unit was moving out from screen bounds.

Add the missing wonder/building effects and city happiness/civil disorders and you already have a perfect sandbox builder game. (Have to say that playing without angry citizens was kind of relaxing :) )

Hi everyone,

Things don't always work out the way I want, and my programming frenzies seem to come in bursts.
I'm currently getting the Load game code working again, and I'm investigating if it's possible to get the Save game code working.

Don't worry, I'm not abandoning CivOne... just remember that I have a job and a family that require my attention too. ;)

Edit: With the current source version, it's possible to load original Civ games once again. I'm bringing it up to date with all the additions that I've made in the past weeks. That means adding all the City internals, discovered techs and game data.
Hopefully, saving the game won't be too difficult after that. At least, I don't worry about that too much. Being able to save the game should make testing a lot easier, so I want to get that finished ASAP. And yes, the save games will be compatible with the original CivDos.

Last edited:
Glad to hear of new progress. Yes the save/load system would make resolving open issues on Github much easier.

Loading existing games is working pretty well at the moment.
I've also managed to get mouse cursors working on the GTK version (Linux). The Linux version works nearly as good as the Windows version, except for random screen flashes. I need to get that fixed. The next release will also feature a Debian package (I'm running a Debian based distro as my main OS), other Linux-type packages will be added later.

The macOS version is a bit behind the Windows and Linux versions but I have limited resources to work on the Mac version: No Mac hardware, so I can only test it when I'm with a friend who has a Mac. I need to start saving money to buy a second hand Mac Mini. :)

Edit: Software cursors are now also working on macOS.

Edit 2: Units can now attack, but they always lose for now.

Last edited:
Thank you for the progress and your efforts, SWY! Looking forward to see game fully playable :)

Thank you for your support. I seem to work in bursts, currently on a low and not finding a lot of time to get things done on CivOne but I'm not far removed from a fully playable version. I've recently started implementing the combat system for Civilization, which would allow winning the game by conquest.

I'm trying to find the inspiration to finish the last remaining bugs and features for a fully working 0.1alpha version within a month...

Thank you for your support. I seem to work in bursts, currently on a low and not finding a lot of time to get things done on CivOne but I'm not far removed from a fully playable version. I've recently started implementing the combat system for Civilization, which would allow winning the game by conquest.

I'm trying to find the inspiration to finish the last remaining bugs and features for a fully working 0.1alpha version within a month...

I am glad to hear that you are so close to a playable build. It is exciting news!

The combat system is a major undertaking because it is such an important part of this game. I am hoping that even this part will be mod-able.
I am already thinking of a modified system with rolls, like each unit having a base value (attack, defense, etc) plus a roll bonus, like 100 attack + (10 -> 40), combined maybe with veteran status or unit levels.

It's getting better and better ... just to say that your fans are still "ON".
Keep on, dude. This is great work, I can't wait to play the first session when CivOne is finally working.

wow - it is an exciting project, for sure! :goodjob:

nice to see there may come a possible fan civ alternative for this sloppy civ6 we have for... who knows, for how long...

you accepting PR's? I locally got your source and got Colossus working locally without much trouble. i like the code - the game logic is well organized so far.

Top Bottom