BETA TEST: 1.24b4

Here is the 4th and final beta of 1.24. Please try it out, especially the new corporation and syndicate mechanics.

Download

Changes since 3rd Beta

• K-Mod: updated to 1.45
  • K-Mod: Spies automatically wake when they reach their maximum fortification bonus
  • Organizations: share trading and syndicates are now functional
  • Civil War: nearby barbarian cities will now join a seceding civilization
  • Civil War: barbarian culture in or around a seceding city will convert to the new owner
  • Civil War: fixed duplicate leaders appearing when playing with the 'Unrestricted Leaders' option
  • Dissent: further tuning
  • Religion: lowered the volume of certain sounds
  • Proselytism: free temples fixed
  • Idolatry: increases cost of Wonders by 25%
  • Palace: now grants +2 commerce
  • World Wonders: culture level limits adjusted, tooltip added
  • Workboat: implemented a fix to prevent the AI building more than it needs
  • Resources: a few more new icons, some adjustments to random map placement
  • A few minor tweaks and fixes
  • Art is packed for faster loading

Cool!! Really like the new Civil War ideas. Let's see how do they work

Thanks

Definitely not intended! Which ships did this happen with?

I think it has something to do with the Extra Cargo promotion on ships that aren't meant to carry cargo. In the attached save you can see the active Cruisers, Torpedo Boats, etc are able to load onto each other.

Attachments

• malay124b3.CivBeyondSwordSave
    312.9 KB · Views: 152
cool, ill give it a whirl, did you get a chance to to some turn time adjustment?

Not yet.

may i ask how did you do this?
"implemented a fix to prevent the AI building more than it needs"

I couldn't figure out what was causing the problem (though I know it's related to pathfinding), so the solution is a bit of a hack. As soon as the AI has more Workboats than it has unimproved resources in its waters, I block them outright from constructing any more. It's not perfect; occasionally there's a resource that never gets improved, but that's much better than the AI wasting all its production.

Thanks!
Can I continue my 1.24 beta3 game with this beta4 ?

No, you'll need to start a new game.

I think it has something to do with the Extra Cargo promotion on ships that aren't meant to carry cargo. In the attached save you can see the active Cruisers, Torpedo Boats, etc are able to load onto each other.

Found the problem, will be fixed for final release.

Things that still need to be done before final release

• Animism Tenet: add an additional source of free priests
  • Review Farms and Farm-affecting civics for balance
  • A few more dissent adjustments
  • Try fix static Barbarian ships from Tribal Islands
  • Include dividends in main interface income calculations (Financial Advisor will be updated in a future version)
  • Update Corporation/Syndicate tooltips in several places
  • Update relevant concept articles in the pedia (especially Corporations and Syndicates)
  • Attempt to fix an error that sometimes occurs when a Great Prophet is generated
  • Fix broken unit and building statistics on the Info Screen
  • Start identifying what is slowing down turn times, fix where possible (long-term project)
  • Decide which real world maps I'm keeping, removing temporarily, or removing permanently.
  • Update the maps that I'm keeping (at least with Saltpeter)

Please let me know if you discover anything I've missed. Share trading will need a lot of fine-tuning to get it balanced just right, but this can be done after release.

Last edited:
Some text is missing when a religion disappears from a city.
Spoiler :

Civ4ScreenShot0024.JPG

Played two games in which founding Druidism caused immediate crash to desktop. Don't know if all animist religions did this, but tried Druidism with both Celts and another civ, I forget which. Don't know if this has been reported before. Games continue to crash for me when I get into modern times, most often 19th Cent, very rarely can I get to mid 20th Cent. Have not built a spaceship in so long I forget what they look like. Thinking my problems in this area might be related to my own installations or whatever, I finally switched over to play via Steam, with no positive benefit.

Played two games in which founding Druidism caused immediate crash to desktop. Don't know if all animist religions did this, but tried Druidism with both Celts and another civ, I forget which. Don't know if this has been reported before.

The Druidism founding video crashes occasionally, on some systems but not others and not every time. The Teotl and Olympianism videos might as well. I don't know why and don't think it's something I can fix.

Games continue to crash for me when I get into modern times, most often 19th Cent, very rarely can I get to mid 20th Cent. Have not built a spaceship in so long I forget what they look like. Thinking my problems in this area might be related to my own installations or whatever, I finally switched over to play via Steam, with no positive benefit.

Remind me of your computer specs? Probably MAFs, but please post a few crash reports so we can be sure.

minor bug: The civipedia says that 'technology trading' requires 'Alphabet' instead of 'Academia'.

Minor issue: I usually open my HR saves straight from BTS. With this version, I have started getting the error "Cannot load version 303, expected version 302 or lower." Loading the mod first and then loading the game works fine.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-10-24 at 4.09.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-24 at 4.09.38 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 173
minor bug: The civipedia says that 'technology trading' requires 'Alphabet' instead of 'Academia'.

Fixed. I'm slowly going through and updating all the Pedia concept articles, but hadn't got to the Technology one yet.

Minor issue: I usually open my HR saves straight from BTS. With this version, I have started getting the error "Cannot load version 303, expected version 302 or lower." Loading the mod first and then loading the game works fine.

Ah I know what's causing that, shall fix.

How about meditation will not have +25% to unit cost, but: +25% war :( or/and +2 xp to unit promotions?

Why do you think Meditation needs to change?

Things that still need to be done before final release
  • Attempt to fix an error that sometimes occurs when a Great Prophet is generated
I reliably get this error on the next turn of the attached save.

Attachments

• HR124b4GreatProphetError.CivBeyondSwordSave
    333.8 KB · Views: 174
New Earth Map for 1.24

Attached is an overhauled version of HR's Earth Map. It's effectively a 'merge' of HR's old Earth (Huge) map and the smaller Earth map from Realism Invictus, with a ton of adjustments by me. It's the same size as the old map, 124x68, which is roughly halfway between HR's 'Large' and 'Huge' sizes. It's set to 'Huge' though, since it has bit more land area and a lot more resources than there would be on most similar sized random maps. Start locations for all leaders have been updated, all new resources and terrain have been added except Atolls (which I forgot), and all Natural Wonders are present except Lake Baikal and Ngorongoro (which don't scale appropriately). Still a few things I need to adjust, but it's close enough to finished so I though I'd post it here for people to try out. Let me know if you notice any problems or have suggestions for improvement. Install locations:

/History Rewritten/PrivateMaps/Earth.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
/History Rewritten/Assets/XML/Maps/Earth_StartingPoints.xml

And now the bad news...

I hope this isn't too disappointing, but I've decided to remove all other real world maps for 1.24. I simply don't the time or desire to work on them right now. Most of them are very out of date now, missing most if not all of HR's new terrains and resources. Some need replacing entirely. In future updates I'll try to add some of them back in, but the goal will be quality over quantity.

Attachments

• HR Earth Map.zip
    43.4 KB · Views: 161
I hope this isn't too disappointing, but I've decided to remove all other real world maps for 1.24. I simply don't the time or desire to work on them right now. Most of them are very out of date now, missing most if not all of HR's new terrains and resources. Some need replacing entirely. In future updates I'll try to add some of them back in, but the goal will be quality over quantity.

Well ... that is disappointing to hear, since I almost exclusively play on the real world maps. I am super excited for this one though!

If I wanted to try my hand at updating the other maps -- for personal use, if nothing else -- how do you go about it? How do you decide where to distribute resources and terrain types? Also -- do you have a priority list, of sorts, for which maps were already decent/need the least work?

I reliably get this error on the next turn of the attached save.

The error doesn't happen for me on your saved game. This is why it's been such a difficult error to solve. I've had it happen in my own games, but stop the moment I add some code to debug it.

Nope, never used it, I prefer the unpredictability of generated maps.

Same. For me, real word maps diminish the joy of exploration. Each to their own though.

Well ... that is disappointing to hear, since I almost exclusively play on the real world maps. I am super excited for this one though!

I hope you like it, be keen to hear your feedback. I ended up putting a lot more effort into it than I intended.

If I wanted to try my hand at updating the other maps -- for personal use, if nothing else -- how do you go about it?

If you make all the changes you want in Worldbuilder and post the file, I'm happy to do the remaining tidy up for you (removing player details, team reveal, etc).

How do you decide where to distribute resources and terrain types?

Lots and lots of research and looking at other maps (in and out of civ). With the Earth map I found it quite a frustrating process at times. The regional maps will be easier in some ways (less need for compromise), harder in others (greater scope for inaccuracy). I've tried to keep Old World and New World resources

Also -- do you have a priority list, of sorts, for which maps were already decent/need the least work?

The Africa map is really good and has some of the new terrain and resources added already (probably not everywhere they need to be though). Leader positions are all defined, including Nigeria. Definitely the easiest to get up to date. Next would be the Middle East (Large) map. Still needs everything updated, including leaders, but it's a good map and worth keeping. Though it would be cool to make it resemble the Ancient Near East more than the modern Middle East, i.e. before desertification went rampant. After that I'd want to replace all the Europe and Mediterranean maps with one better quality map that covers both areas. I have a folder of candidates, but haven't review them yet.

After that I'm less sure. It'd be good to have a South/East Asia map, but the current one is pretty poor. Need to look for alternatives (maybe crop part of the old Eurasia map that was far too big). I'd have to have another look at the existing North American map, can't remember it too well.

But to summarise, I'd only want to have 5-6 maps total. More than that is just too much hassle to maintain.
  • Earth
  • Europe/Mediterranean
  • Africa
  • Middle East
  • East/South Asia
  • North/Central America

I hope you like it, be keen to hear your feedback. I ended up putting a lot more effort into it than I intended.

I'm playing on it right now! So far I really like it. Are the tribal villages randomly placed or part of the map itself? I don't remember having them on the older one. My only impression so far is that central Africa is kind of a pain to settle; the African Great Lakes area is nigh impassible based on where the mountains/water tiles are placed, and the wetlands across Central Africa are in all the places I want to place cities. :) (I hate founding on resources -- although with as many as there are now, it seems inevitable!) Same impression looking at the Amazon basin, although I haven't played an American civ yet.

If you make all the changes you want in Worldbuilder and post the file, I'm happy to do the remaining tidy up for you (removing player details, team reveal, etc).

[rolls up sleeves]

Top Bottom