Windows 7 32bit

gunnerxtr

King
Hello -

Like an idiot, I checked all system requirements except my operating system (just sorta figured I was good there!). Turns out I am running W7 32bit. That's fine I am obviously due for an upgrade (ahem, anything for Civ!)

Prior to realizing that I had didn't have the appropriate OS, I validated my game keys (purchased from GMG) in Steam. I didn't pay much attention, until I went to launch the game on release and it gave me the:
"Failed to Start Game: Missing executable File" error

I figured it was just a matter of reinstalling / validating, but none of that worked. Then I noticed that upon reinstalling, it only installed 139mb worth disk space. Obviously the game requires much more hard disk space than that.

SO, my question is, once I update my Operating System, am I still going to have an issue? Or does what I described above sound like a problem associated with not having the correct Operating System?

Thanks!

Hopefully you will be fine, Windows stores executable files for 64 and 32bit apps in separate locations on your drive. (Edit) You may end up having to redownload depending on where Steam put the files...

Once you have a steam game, you have it (unless you do something and get your account cancelled). You can install the game/steam on as many machines as you want; you just can't have more than one instance of steam active at a time.

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess my overall question is why isn't the game fully installing? Is it an OS problem? Or would the game install regardless of the OS and then just not run?

Wondering if I have 2 problems or 1.

PS. sorry for posting in General Discussions. My bad!

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess my overall question is why isn't the game fully installing? Is it an OS problem? Or would the game install regardless of the OS and then just not run?

Wondering if I have 2 problems or 1.

PS. sorry for posting in General Discussions. My bad!
It dont matter why its not fully installing when you have to start over with a clean slate anyways, right?

Look, I am not high tech... I am just trying to figure out if I have problems beyond OS, so that the minute my new OS is up and running I can play this game!

SO, if it is a key issue or a Steam issue, then I can figure that out while I wait to install new OS.

I am not 100% sure gunnerxtr, but the problem is you are trying to run in a 32-bit (older version of windows). When you install your new version of windows the game will probably still not work, but that is not a problem with windows or the game, or Steam. Likely the game files you downloaded originally are in the wrong place - Steam download put some of them in the place meant for a 64-bit OS, and others in a standard Steam folder. Easiest way to correct is 1) Install new OS. 2) When everything restarts run Steam again and try starting the game. It will probably fail as it can't find some files. so 3) Right click on Civ 6 in Steam library and 'Verify files' (to check if they are there, it will download them again if it cannot find them. Then you should be good to go, but let windows update your graphics (display) and audio (sound) drivers as well if prompted when you install the new windows OS.

The game is 64-bit, and thus requires a 64-bit OS. I don't think Windows 7 would be a problem if that's what you want to stick with.
Plenty of people running it on Windows 7 (64 bit)

So I upgraded to Windows 10 and now when I go to install Civ 6 in Steam it gives me the following error:

"Sid Meiers Civilization VI is not available on your current platform"

Any ideas?!!!!

I think Windows upgrade only upgrades from 32bit Win7 to 32bit Win10.

And game actually requires 64bit windows:

Minimum:

It will not run on 32bit system, at all, per design.

Hmm makes sense. I actually went to Microsoft website and downloaded and paid for the Home Edition. Did I mess up? If I do a clean install will it be 64bit?

Thanks to everyone for their advice and help. I got some good help on the Steam forums as well.

Turned out when I did the Win 10 'upgrade' it assumed I wanted the 32 bit version. So, I created a bootable media file for the 64 bit version and did a clean install and I was successful in upgrading to 64bit. Installed Civ6 without issue and played last night!

It did take forever to load my game past the leader intro screen (which sounds like is a common problem) but I just waited patiently and it started up eventually. Only played 60 turns or so to this point, but seems to be working okay!

Top Bottom