The Amount of Gold You Get For Deleting Units is Crazy

Has anyone else noticed this? You can sell builders who have only one charge left, or wounded units that are about to die, for a ton of money. Was this what the developers intended? Why would they intend that?

It's going to need a nerf, yes. It's exploitative right now, like chopping forests in enemy borders. Especially with Scythia.

It's not that much! I just tested in my game (Deity, just before a space victory). Selling a Mechanized Infantry that was just produced (660 production) nets me 1002 gold. Buying a mechanized infantry costs 2005 gold. I have a 24% discount on gold purchases due to civics.

So... selling a unit gives you 2 gold per production, and buying a unit costs 4 gold per production. You get to sell at half of the buy cost, so the simplest usage is not particularly crazy.

It's not that much! I just tested in my game (Deity, just before a space victory). Selling a Mechanized Infantry that was just produced (660 production) nets me 1002 gold. Buying a mechanized infantry costs 2005 gold. I have a 24% discount on gold purchases due to civics.

So... selling a unit gives you 2 gold per production, and buying a unit costs 4 gold per production. You get to sell at half of the buy cost, so the simplest usage is not particularly crazy.

Remember that there are policies that decrease the production cost of units. You can get +100% towards naval and mounted units, which means you can sell for exactly the cost it takes to buy them. And Scythia gets two for the price of one...

Remember that there are policies that decrease the production cost of units. You can get +100% towards naval and mounted units, which means you can sell for exactly the cost it takes to buy them. And Scythia gets two for the price of one...
Yes. That's not "the simplest usage". :p I was trying to establish that the base mechanic and numbers are reasonable -- you just need to fix the interactions with other mechanics. (or accept them, I suppose)

Yeah, I don't think Civ should encourage an economy based on creating units and immediately deleting them. That can't have been the intent.

Why does the player deserve any compensation for deleting units? I don't understand why that should be so. And deleting units that are about to die in battle and the like is absurd.

Yes. That's not "the simplest usage". :p I was trying to establish that the base mechanic and numbers are reasonable -- you just need to fix the interactions with other mechanics. (or accept them, I suppose)

Or fix the mechanic, which is a little silly and doesn't really add anything to the game. Just reduce the disband gold to like 15% of the cog cost and it's fine.

Top Bottom