Civ 6 freezes at the initial loading screen

Charuas

Chieftain
As the title says, the game refuses to get past the initial "Loading, please wait" screen; it freezes and I have to kill the process with Task Manager.

I managed to get past the loading screen once after installing the latest .NET Framework (4.6.1) and re-installing the C++ files on the redist folder, but the game froze on a copyright screen with a continue button. Now, if I try to run the game again, it goes back to not getting past the loading screen.

I'm on Windows 7 (x64), AMD video card with the latest drivers, everything else is updated.

Same problem here. I'm on Windows 7 (x64), GTX 980 with the lastest drivers, all updated. Help!

A minor update: the game manages to launch properly after a PC reboot; however, if I close the game and try to launch it again, it keeps getting stuck at the loading screen, forcing me to reboot if I want to open the game again.

A minor update: the game manages to launch properly after a PC reboot; however, if I close the game and try to launch it again, it keeps getting stuck at the loading screen, forcing me to reboot if I want to open the game again.

I'm having the same problem, event after rebooting. AMD R9 280, Intel I5 3.5, win 10

Well, not so fast. It worked and I played for a few minutes. Then I had to turn it off to attend to something else and when I returned the game was again frozen at the loading screen... :(

Just a update to you guys who have windows 10. I was delaying the last win10 update for lack of physical space. I cleaned some of my ssd, installed the lastest uptade and Civ is working again!

When I start the game throught the Geforce Experience, it starts but freezes again after you choose a civilization and start the game.

Last edited:
Adding to the list, game played fine first day now loading my game back up it stalls at the loading screen displaying my civ info, music plays and mouse moves but nothing happens, task manager swaps to 'not responding'.
Win 10, GTX 670.

Adding to the list, game played fine first day now loading my game back up it stalls at the loading screen displaying my civ info, music plays and mouse moves but nothing happens, task manager swaps to 'not responding'.
Win 10, GTX 670.
I have this same exact problem. I played it the first night and left for the weekend. Tried to play it and it can't get past Loading, Please Wait.

Add me to the list.

I just tried starting it up, and first I got stuck on the "copyright screen" (the one with the continue-button). Restarted the game, and now stuck on the loading screen to my latest save.

Have had no problems starting the game up until now. No changes to the computer since the last time I played it.

Come to think of it. One thing that happened the last time I shut it down was that it didn't properly exit, but it started being unresponsive after pressing the "exit to windows" button. Might that have something to do with it?

I'm also on WIN10, GTX670.

[EDIT: It actually loaded! It just took something like 7-8 minutes! Last time I played it took under a minute to load. What on earth is going on? Some kind of self-diagnosis type of thing after a crash?]

i am having same issue; i get to the leader screen and it goes through narration bout the civ; then it hangs forever. Sometimes i get windows error, some time all i can do is sign out of OS. So frustrating b/c i had it working ion my much less powerful work laptop.

I tried messing with nvidia settings and reinstalling vis studio... reinstalling game all together now... not hopeful. Any clues would be great.

Win 10, GTX 670.
This exact same thing is happening to me. Game ran fine Friday and Saturday. Just started stalling on the loading screen today. I can sometimes get through, but I think it's luck. I uninstalled and reinstalled the game and it didn't seem to change anything.

My version of the game is 1.0.0.26. I have Windows 10 Intel i7-4710HQ CPU and a GTX 970M graphics card.

Well I'm glad to see other people are having the same problem as me, but sad I don't see a solution. My game was working fine from Friday all the way until today (Sunday). It takes a longer time to load past the initial "click here to get to the main menu screen". Then when I got to play the game it just sits there on the introduction to that CIV never loading into the game. The only thing I changed was the quality of the leader animations and even though I have changed it back it is still doing it. Bummer.

i've put 26 hours in so far and went to fire it up this evening (i even played this morning) and it gets stuck at the screen after the intro video. i press the 'continue' button and it freezes. i updated my video driver and im trying to verify my steam cache now to see if that does anything

Have any of you tried simply waiting for 10 minutes?

That worked for me.

It's back to normal loading times after going through some sort of slog once.

I'm betting it's some sort of debug flag that they forgot to remove. Some sort of "safe mode" or "safe startup" that is enabled after a crash.

Have any of you tried simply waiting for 10 minutes?

I'm having the same problem (used to load and play and now hangs on loading screen). One time it did load after a long wait, just as you described, but in my case the game froze at black screen after about a minute of play.

Its very frsutrating, I deleted and reinstalled and still didnt work. I had video card compatability problem on Friday night, downloaded on my work computer to get me through weekend. bought a Nvidia GTX 750n, popped that in, now this....

I'm having the same problem (used to load and play and now hangs on loading screen). One time it did load after a long wait, just as you described, but in my case the game froze at black screen after about a minute of play.

How quaint!

Like I said, my loads are now back to normal. Happened maybe five times before I decided to try waiting.

I'm pretty curious to see what causes this. Seems utterly random.

Top Bottom