Colonialist Legacies: Histories of the New World - Colonial and Pre-Colonial Civs

Website | Steam Workshop

Colonialist Legacies is a modding endeavour originally started by TPangolin and Neirai that has since grown into a community of dozens of modders striving towards producing high-quality Colonial themed custom Civilizations. Colonialist Legacies released their first mod in January of 2014 - the Australian Civilization, lead by the jovial Henry Parkes. Since then, many civilizations have been completed, with some being featured on sites such as PC Gamer, Kotaku and even Canadian television at one point. Colonialist Legacies mods have become undoubtedly popular on the Steam Workshop, and none of this would be possible without the help from the amazing community and fans of the content we we produce.

Colonialist Legacies aims to simultaneously educate players about new cultures and people, alongside ensuring that each new custom civilization has interesting, unique and dynamic attributes that aims to make the game as fun as possible.

Last edited:

Hi there! Welcome to the Colonialist Legacies thread. If you're unaware of the sort of content we produce, a quick look at our Civ V thread should give you a brief overview. Back in September we posted a blog post regarding our intentions for Civ VI, however so much has changed since then. We're now in a position where we feel as if we can confidently deliver extremely high quality leaders and models (granted the game allows for it).

Our team is still growing, but the talent we have on board is quite frankly exciting.

This time we're waging all out war with the game, seeing what boundaries we can push and what grounds we can explore. The idea at the forefront of CL has always been to highlight and present cultures and personalities, to tell those stories worth telling, even if history has forgotten them, or has judged their actions as unjust or noble. We can't wait to implement our historically accurate and emotive leaders speaking in their own native language, with personalities that you'll fall in love with.

First up - the Trung Sisters!

Last edited:
Nice! Will many civ V mods spill over into VI, or will you be taking it in another direction?

Nice! Will many civ V mods spill over into VI, or will you be taking it in another direction?

That's a pretty good question that I'm not sure we can answer at this point. Colonialism gives us a mighty amount to chew on, so whilst it would be nice to stick with our Civ V roster there's so much new ground to explore! At this point it's looking like our initial lineup will be Vietnam, Canada, and Australia followed by the Inuit, Yolngu (Australian Aboriginals) and a Pacific Northwest Culture (most likely the Tlingit).

All of this is tentative though. These mods will end up taking a lot of time to produce due to the amount of effort going into them. We're hoping to meet the Firaxis standard in terms of Civilization leader screens! I honestly do feel like we're in a position to accomplish this, so personally I'm extremely excited to do what we couldn't do in Civ V.

That's not to say we're done with Civ V at all though ;)

I see you're going for those again. Nothing bad, I really expect to see them in civ6. Will you adapt the other CL civs like Mexico to civ6?

Mexico is an interesting beast. It's probably one of my personal favourite mods (despite the god-awful colour scheme and lack of updates) due to the atmosphere we ended up creating with the civ.

Since we're going all out in terms of leader models this time around, and due to the nature of how CL is organised - we'll most likely do civs where the motivation is. The art-pipeline is usually going to determine what we civs we do next. So although I chose the lineup for the initial ~4 mods, anything after that will most likely be out of my hands (and thus be determined most likely by the community and/or projects that artists personally want to do that fit under the scope of Colonialism).

Here's some fun for now though - Trung Sisters concept art by Cangrejo_Volador:

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Looks straight out a disney movie. Love it!

although that last image might be 2hot4civfanatics.

Hey TPangolin/Colonial Legacies team! I've spent the last 2 days looking through almost all of the civ VI files and learning how to create a custom civ in game. Although, I'm sure you guys are far ahead of me based on what I can see here. Is there anyway I could possibly ask you guys some questions regarding what you've found out on civ VI modding? Obviously not here, I don't want to clutter up your thread. Let me know please.

Looks cool! Will each the Trung sisters be two different leaders or will they co-lead like in the V mod?

Hey CL!
I've risen from the dead to ask you about designs for Vietnam! Do you have any ideas yet?

I think this is the only one we've finalized. Of course, now that the game's out, we'll probably have to do another gameplay and balance pass. But I think its a good idea to wait and see Firaxis' first patch, at least. And of course, it would help if they released the mod tools ;)

Hi all, Love the look of the work shown here and looking forward to some CL for CivVI. So, helping out where I can with what humble hobbyist skills I have.

Lester B Pearson work so far;

Concept - Sculpt. Reference TPangolin artwork & various Google images.

And here is where I'm at with the game mesh. The hair is proving to be a lot more challenging than I thought it would, its still a high res sculpt and there are still details like the pockets to do, before the next steps of baking maps and rigging. Actually I had already done this but wasn't happy with it, so this is the second version.

That's it for a bit, going to do some playing of the game some. :)

Any idea what their agendas will be?

Honestly, Agendas might be the hardest part, because they are the least obvious to hook into. We'll have to look carefully into what can and can't be done before committing to anything. At least all the models and game logic has examples from previous games, but the AI functionality for Agendas should be completely new.

I've been planning to do an Australia and Canada civ for quite some time. Hopefully I don't come across as copying you, though whatever you do will probably far outdo me based on the quality of your Civilization 5 creations.

I'm guessing you intend to universally use 3D leader scenes?

Nice! What is the Ming Dong UU?

Spoiler :

The Mông Đồng was a class of oared warship that was heavily utilised for over a millennia in near-shore Vietnamese warfare. Some variants of Mông Đồng were armed with disproportionately powerful cannons weighing up to 4000lbs and it was this firepower combined with the fast speed of the nimble warship that turned the Mông Đồng into a formidable weapon of war capable of punching significantly above its class.

I've been planning to do an Australia and Canada civ for quite some time. Hopefully I don't come across as copying you, though whatever you do will probably far outdo me based on the quality of your Civilization 5 creations.

I wouldn't let that stop you from making an Australia/Canada civ at all. The reason that I finally decided to start modding was because I wasn't too impressed with the standard of Australia mods already out there on the scene. That being said, everyone has to start somewhere, and for Australia we started here -

Spoiler :

To answer your question though - yes. All of our civs will have 3D leaderscreens (and hopefully custom voice acting).

Top Bottom