[Vanilla] News: GOTM 126 Results and Congratulations

Deckhand

Procrastination at its finest
GOTM Staff
Congratulations and thanks for playing.
Everyone who submitted got an award.
Jovan Kukic beat Cactus Pete to fastest Domination by 25 years. Score wasn't as close.

Summary of Medal Winners:

Jovan Kukic: 1725 AD Domination Victory, 126,902 points.

Cactus Pete: 1750 AD Domination Victory, 99,636 points.

neilmeister: 1920 AD Diplomatic Victory, 42,972 points.

Fastest Finish Award Winners:

ub40: 2007 AD Spaceship Victory, 9,306 points.

Pious_Pete: 1996 AD Cultural Victory, 4,469 points.

Other Award Winners:

Zhary: 1932 AD Diplomatic Victory, 25,843 points.

greatbeyond: 2026 AD Spaceship Loss, 6,427 points.

Nice variation in settling location. Here's where everyone settled.

The Small Print:
The numbers by each player's name indicate the turn settled on (starting turn is 0). Players are colour coded by game class (challenger=red, adventurer=blue). Symbols indicate victory condition, if there's no symbol then the player either retired or was defeated. The yellow border indicates the land that was visible at the start of the game.

>> See the full results here.
>> See the updated global rankings here.
>> See the latest Pantheon of Heroes here.
>> You can see and compare graphic replays of all the submissions here.
>> Award symbols are listed here.

Seven participants.
I'm planning to create a new game "soon".
How do you feel about restricting the victory condition?

My recommendation would be to do special challenges for each game, but not restrict victory conditions, as...you know...it is restrictive. Especially when considering the series traditionally offers a lot of different awards and an ultimate goal. Some folks just don't care much for certain types of games, so I don't see restricting things as inviting more participation.

Special challenges could be fun and offer something up to make things spicy for more advanced players.

I will say that, if GOTM goes to restricted VCs, it will likely be the end of my participation.

Congratulations to all of the participants! It was certainly a surprise to find Huayna with his lovely Quechuas end up as a Lonely Heart (being on a landmass by ourselves). The map concept and design were neat, and although the Barbs did raze a City of mine, it was certainly a very winnable map. Once I realised that we were isolated, I started saving Huts, but could only save 2 of them for post-Optics popping (due to wanting to settle where other ones were located) and neither one gave me Astronomy, so I had to slow-tech Astronomy.

For me, it was a matter of a lack of time. I got as far as starting to build an initial invasion with Galleons but ran out of real-life time to actually launch the invasion.

Yes, 1 month plus 2 weeks already sounds like a lot of time on electronic ink, but with other interesting games to play, it still wasn't enough time. Having 2 months would help, especially for a game that requires digging out a DVD for every play session. If we aren't immediately starting up a new game every 1.5 months, then what's the harm in keeping submissions open for 2 months? Even if there ends up being a bit of overlap while two games are simultaneously open, again, what's the harm? We're already doing so for BtS games.

I'm with lymond; keep all Victory Conditions as eligible options.

That said, feel free to add a specific condition that ANY game must meet in order to receive an Award, such as was done in GOTM 45:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/news-gotm-45-starts-1-august.329602/
http://gotm.civfanatics.net/results/index.php?month=40045
For example, there, in order to be eligible to win an Award, all AI Civs had to be alive and all of them had to share the same State Religion as you in order for you to win an Award. You could still get a better rank in the Global Rankings if you satisfied a normal Victory Condition the fastest without meeting the extra condition, but you had to meet the extra condition in order to actually earn any Awards (High or Low).

(I would suggest that you check in with AlanH with whatever extra condition you have as an idea first, since there was some extra work that went on behind the scenes there.)

If you're going to do so, put some thought into the condition, try to play-test it, and get it peer-reviewed, to make sure that it's practical.

Such a condition should be easy to understand, be reasonable to achieve, and fit in with some sort of theme around which the map plus leader combination was designed.

I am sorry, I didn't manage to submitmy retired game in time. But I did take part and I do appreciate the game happened! It was obviously a quite interesting and not so easy challenge.

Oh yeah, good idea from Dhoom as well regarding the addition of specific conditions to meet regardless of victory. That can certainly spice things up a bit.

Terrific game by JK.

Delighted to learn that another GOTM is being prepared. Happy with whatever the mapmaker is interested in creating.

I aslo played, and planned to finish and submit... but it was going so badly (I think I started out believing it was a Noble level game and was badly prepared for some viscious nastiness) that maybe I repressed it. Basically, what I'm trying to say is... I forgot. (anybody remember Steve Martin... I think those two words can excuse anything). LOL

Top Bottom