Luck factor is too big in the beginning

But you DO get notified, there's a sound effect (which reminds me of DA:O for some reason, the whole first battle scene/mission in the wilds after the intro to be exact).

But there IS a world age setting. Open your eyes.

Maybe he missed that you have to use the "Advanced Start Settings" in order to see it

What?
I was sure I had seen it, but when I started a new game yesterday I couldn't find it.
Yes, I always use advanced settings :/
Maybe Island plates map type doesn't have world age or something?
I gotta check this when I get back home.

It may be that you have to scroll down in order to see a few of the advanced start comboboxes

It very well may be that island plates have none, which is stupid. Fractal for example have no settings at all.

I find that continents script work for me only with high water settings, that way it actually spawns more than two landmasses that aren't locked in the north and south poles. Always using random world age and temperature. The biggest crime on firaxis part is there's no Earth map!!!

I think the first meet bonus with city states adds too much randomness as well. At best I had unlocked the boost for Political Philosophy by t6 and met the 4th one around t12. Not only does it mean lots of free yields, but it also means lots of city states around to keep me safe from barbs. I'm not too sure about how useful the science/cultural city states are very early though. Most of the time there's really no hurry to tech anything faster than you already would. Right now I actually prefer meeting militaristic city states early, since their boost is of great help to survive the early game (and to take them out once you have enough units ;) ). Gold states are probably even better, since they give you the same amount of production (regardless of what you are building), it can be used anywhere and also for buildings if you wish.

It very well may be that island plates have none, which is stupid. Fractal for example have no settings at all.

I find that continents script work for me only with high water settings, that way it actually spawns more than two landmasses that aren't locked in the north and south poles. Always using random world age and temperature. The biggest crime on firaxis part is there's no Earth map!!!

Actually had a wonderfully large ice-locked bay with a harbor for my capital in my england game. Once I built Hull as a canal city between a sheet of ice and the rest of the continent, my capital was a very safe dock indeed. Accompanied with Venetian Arsenal I ruled the waves big time this game around :) But yeah, the continent was ice-locked in both the north and south end, and there was a 2-tile stretch of land that would have been a perfect canal city #2 for the ice-locked bay I had if it was just a 1-tile stretch :( Come to think of it, I wonder if forts work as canals this time around as they did in civ4. Didn't think to check that.

And about earth maps, they already have popped up on the downloads section I think, I always liked the terra map style in civ5, I wish that would make a return.

Lots of potential luck factors in the first 50 turns:

• Super early barbs, especially horsemen
  • AI forward settles you (always been an issue but in this new game space is a real premium)
  • Lots of early envoys (some times CS find you and grant you the envoy)
  • Early AI surprise war and warrior rush
  • Crap land for district bonuses
  • Goody huts
  • Early natural wonder cheese
  • Any inspirations that involve 'exploring'

I had a spice ressource tile last game. It has 4F 2P right off the bat.

That really made a big difference having BOTH growth and production so fast

Yes, there is.

But you DO get notified, there's a sound effect (which reminds me of DA:O for some reason, the whole first battle scene/mission in the wilds after the intro to be exact).

But there IS a world age setting. Open your eyes.

Maybe he missed that you have to use the "Advanced Start Settings" in order to see it

It may be that you have to scroll down in order to see a few of the advanced start comboboxes

Erm, it's still there isn't it?!

Turns out there is a world age setting yes. But, if you choose "Shuffle" it dissapears. I guess I was looking around for it while I still had shuffle as my map type.

I think it puts in on random if using shuffle and continents/pangaea rolls.

my biggest gripe is with the strategic resources. Even with "balanced resources" on, getting horses seems so random and inconsistent, and are pretty important for the early game...

Also, rivers might be a bit too important.

First play through got stuck between a desert and a tundra, huge food issues....

This doesn't bother me at all. If it was too consistent people would complain that it's too boring. The idea is to force you out of your playstyle.

This is my most common approach, honestly.

I know what everyone is saying. I kind of felt the same after being very frustrated in my first few games. However (and I am admittedly waxing philosophical here), everyone's complaints assume that Civ is only fun if you are setup for success in the first place. Two things:

1. Getting a crappy start is far more realistic in terms of real life than having everything you want at your finger tips.
2. Embrace the suck and play some bad games through to see if you are clever enough to think of some counter-measures and creative ways to dig out.

Don't assume that a game is only a success if you beeline to a win in such a manner that you could boast about it on a civ forum... see success as a way to see if you can use your creativity and imagination to lost less badly than if you quit and re-start the game.

Bad start positions are all part of the challenge for me.

There are already enough people on this Forum complaining about weak AI, and then now have people who quit their game if they can't build their capital next to a river with limited Barbarians nearby. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom