Choice of graphics card to civilization VI

Azazell

Prince
Currently I have a GTX 750 Ti, but I have to change to a newer card for various reasons. I'm looking right card to one 200 / 230 USD (+/-) which will enable me to smooth gameplay in FullHD Ultra detail.

I looking for GTX 960 4GB and radeon RX470. Maybe fanatics civ recommend something better for this price?

Sorry for my bad english :)

Depending on your location (local price) you can buy GTX1060 for that money. Should be more than enough.

Does the motherboard limit what graphics card you can use? I have a Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3.

Does the motherboard limit what graphics card you can use? I have a Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3.
It has PCI Express slot, used by modern videocards - so no. But you should check your power unnit for the number and size of power connectors for videocard (can be none, 1x6 pin or 2x6pin)

Maybe buy MSI GTX 1050 Ti Gaming 4GB or GTX960 4GB? Eh ;/ I don`t now.
If you are choosing between these two - take 1050 Ti

Performance outstanding GTX 980TI OC from Gigabyte
BUT it crashes (only, all other games fine) with CIV VI every 60 to 180minutes :-(

you really should go, if your MB supports it, with a GTX 1070 or if you could afford GTX 1080
NEVER BUY ANY OC VERSIONS, even I do it, I always have problems with some games, SPECIAL ALL FIRAXIS GAMES :)

I have a GTX 970 and it works perfectly but the current price/performance graph shows that this is a runner-up when compared with the new 1060 3GB, which would seem to be the clear choice at the moment.

Radeons tend to have more driver issues and I would also avoid the 1050 as, while cheap it does not provide good value. Your budget prohibits consideration of the 1070+.

I have a GTX 970 and it works perfectly but the current price/performance graph shows that this is a runner-up when compared with the new 1060 3GB, which would seem to be the clear choice at the moment.

Radeons tend to have more driver issues and I would also avoid the 1050 as, while cheap it does not provide good value. Your budget prohibits consideration of the 1070+.
What's wrong with the 1050i? That's the card I was looking to buy this holiday season as I thought it would allow me to play Civ VI on on ultrahd with smooth game play.

Because even though it is cheap it's not a fantastic card performance-wise and it's based on a brand new chipset that uses a completely different process to every other 10 series card. Meanwhile the 1060 3GB is only about $50 more expensive (less if you shop around I reckon), has *much* better performance and is built on a proven technology.

All of this is not to say the 1050 Ti won't play Civ well, it will, but future-proofing and buying parts that will be viable for much longer provides much greater value in the long term that a 50bux saving now. In my own humble opinion, of course.

Because even though it is cheap it's not a fantastic card performance-wise and it's based on a brand new chipset that uses a completely different process to every other 10 series card. Meanwhile the 1060 3GB is only about $50 more expensive (less if you shop around I reckon), has *much* better performance and is built on a proven technology.

All of this is not to say the 1050 Ti won't play Civ well, it will, but future-proofing and buying parts that will be viable for much longer provides much greater value in the long term that a 50bux saving now. In my own humble opinion, of course.

All very helpful stuff, thank you. I need to open up my case and see if my power supply can handle the 1060 3gb. I think it's at 480W, but I'm not sure if I have 6 pin connector free or not. That's one of the main reasons I was also leaning towards the 1050 Ti as it only draws power from the PCI slot.

I buy 1050 Ti and Civ 6 is running very good with Ultra Settings graphics (MSAAx8, Shadow 8k itp)! I have average 45-60 FPS (very rarely 35 fps). Only animated leader isn`t smooth - Leader screen I Have settings for medium detals.
I have i5-4690 and 16gb ram.

All very helpful stuff, thank you. I need to open up my case and see if my power supply can handle the 1060 3gb. I think it's at 480W, but I'm not sure if I have 6 pin connector free or not. That's one of the main reasons I was also leaning towards the 1050 Ti as it only draws power from the PCI slot.
In fairness, you have hit on the main positive for the 1050 Ti, it's low power draw means it doesn't require extra connectors. Ultimately this is aimed at making the new process cards superior in terms of laptop performance and battery life but if you do find out that you are PSU limited then it gets major plus points in your case as well. Which changes my thinking a little. If you are approaching this more along the lines of this being the last major upgrade in your current PCs life (should be a viable GPU for approx 2 years I reckon) then I think going for the 1050 Ti over the 1060 3GB actually makes a lot of sense. However, if you are looking more towards 3-4 years of active life remaining then the 1060 Ti starts edging out ahead again. I guess it's a case of "Horses for courses", as the old man used to say.

Top Bottom