Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Still, you can change the image to something more akin to your particular scenario's Game Concepts. E.g. in a Viking scenario you can add some runes, or in Japan a kanji, etc.

Nice thought, but that's just decoration.

It's a full history DYP mod with the main focus on tactics and logistics.

I wanted to be able to use screenshots and diagrams to explain the really complicated battle plans. I want someone new to the mod to play it like a pro. Assuming it plays much the same as a standard conquests game will get the guy killed before they make it out of the ancient era.

Can one set a wonder to auto-produce more than one unit ? Can it be set to auto-produce several of that type of units at a time?
i.e. Supppose I want to auto-produce 2 Infantry plus three cavalry every 10 turns. I tried but all I see is the option to produce ONE unit of ONE type each time.

Thurst123... just one unit per your auto setting. IF you want 2 units every 10 turns, set the Wonder to Auto-produce the unit every 5 turns.
Another setting... Set the Wonder to place an Improvement in every City... then set that Improvement to Auto-produce a unit every "X" turns. You will have the unit in all cities you own every "X" turns.

Last edited:
Vuldacon,
Thanks once more for your help. I'm looking at using your wonder + resource becoming available to start auto-producing. Also the improvement idea given will be useful.
Perhaps I might start a "conversation" with you to further discuss some other things like unit Attack and Defence values, or you think it would be more useful to do so here?

Perhaps I might start a "conversation" with you to further discuss some other things like unit Attack and Defence values, or you think it would be more useful to do so here?
Thrust123... If you want to discuss Attack and Defense values, probably a "conversation" would be better. If you have specific questions that you believe others would be interested in, here is fine.

Generally, Attack and Defense values are personal to anyone setting them for their game.
Same for Movement settings and game play factors that depend on what is wanted.

If you are speaking about Attack and Defense values regarding what has been called "Balanced Game Play", remember to have a fluctuation in balance because if everything were always in "Balance", nothing could be gained. This would be like a stalemate in Chess. A Fluctuation in balance can be created in many ways. It can be the difference in the numbers of units, fast or slow movement, unit costs, abilities, Unit Support cost or none, Upgrade abilities as well as their Attack and Defense values. Also, Improvements and Wonders that provide many benefits can be very powerful.

Ask yourself "Do I want Hordes of units with less Attack and Defense or fewer units with Very Strong Attack and Defense?" Both have a place.
What ever Attack and Defense values you choose for units at any time for game play, make sure to build in creative methods for being able to Attack and Defend. A variety of methods will allow players the ability to play according to how they want to play as well as game replay ability.

The Strongest settings are Defense and Hit Points because no matter what the Attack values are, if the unit does not have Good Defense and Hit Points, it can be destroyed easier than units with high Defense and Hit Points. This is especially true given the "Random Play" factors programed into the Civ Game.

So what are the Best Attack and Defense Settings? That is a very loaded question that is totally dependent upon the game and what is wanted.

Honestly guys: do you think these are "Newbee Questions"?? Darski is quite right: start a new thread in the Creation & Customization forum, the guys over there will be grateful for such a whealth of insider tips ;)

Yep, some of the latest posts should definitely be moved to a new thread on C&C.

What we meant is that you should start a thread with your questions in C&C and, y'know, leave a link.

Does anyone know why Civ3 has suddenly decided to launch upon my inserting the disc into the drive rather than waiting for me to tell it to do so? It is most annoying.

Ever since I got Civ3 working on Win10, CivAssist2 does not keep up. I keep having to reload for it to be up-to-date. Is there a patch for this (or something else I can do)?

Ever since I got Civ3 working on Win10, CivAssist2 does not keep up. I keep having to reload for it to be up-to-date. Is there a patch for this (or something else I can do)?
Are you using a NoCD patch (which is not itself named 'civilization3.exe' or 'conquests.exe') to run whichever version of Civ3 you're playing?

I ask because I found that when I used the 'official' (PCGames download) NoCD patchfile for Vanilla -- which relies on the original .exe being in place and correctly named to work properly -- the Win7/8 compatible version of CAII didn't auto-update itself.
Spoiler :
My under-educated guess is that the official NoCD patch(es) somehow renders the activity of the actual game executables invisible to CAII, but I've no idea how to fix that.
No patch is available for this AFAIK -- the way I found to deal with it was to load the last savegame into CAII manually (hit the 'File' button in the lower left corner of the CAII window, pick the filename from the list). It's kind of a pain to do this every turn, though -- so you might want to report the problem to Ainwood (if he's still around).

Or rather play Civ3 on a WinXP machine (if you still have one available).

Top Bottom