Game crashes on Leader Loading screen

Windfury

Chieftain
I originally posted this in a thread in the General Discussion forum about the 1 GB patch that occurred for the Deluxe edition, and someone tried to help me but it wasn't working, so I thought I try here to see if anyone has any more ideas as I am completely tapped out.

Basically the game crashes during the Sean Bean narration, almost like clockwork on "upright steps". Everything was perfect yesterday (and every day since Friday midnight), not a single crash or issue, now I can't do anything. (Was taking a bit of a break today so didn't try it all day till about 4 hours ago and have been struggling with this since.)

I have done the following to try to fix this (OS: Windows 7 Home):

At first I was told that Windows Defender was the culprit so I went and turned it off completely.

Tried to run then, still crashes in the same spot.

Rebooted, still crashes in the same spot.

Tried to verify Steam Game Cache, still crashes in the same spot.

Deleted game, re-installed fresh, still crashes in the same spot.

Tried creating a new game, still crashes in the same spot.

Then it was suggested that I should leave defender on and add an exemption for Steam and Civ6 so I added the following to Defender:

I've added the following folders as exemptions:
steam
steam\steamapps
steam\steamapps\common
steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI
steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Binaries\Win64Steam

I've also added the following files as exemptions:
steam\steam.exe
steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Binaries\Win64Steam\CivilizationVI.exe

So then I try that, and it still wasn't working.

Then I made sure that the firewall wasn't blocking it for any reason, still crashes.

Then I disable my network and tried it so see if the opposite was the problem, still crashes.

Then I disable my firewall just in case it was still blocking somehow, still crashes.

Then I read that Real Time Monitoring in Defender is the problem, so I turn that off, and it still crashes.

I tried making both Steam and Civ6 run as Admin, still crashing.

I've basically everything in this list more than once (except for the delete and reinstall) and not a single change.

I do not have Microsoft Security Essentials, so that is not the issue either.

Now I am completely stuck and can't see a solution at this point for a game I was really enjoying (I had already beat the game once, and was 140 turns into a 2nd game when this occurred).

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

(P.S. Thanks to gstommylee for attempting to help in the original thread)

TLDR: Game crashes and nothing I've read anywhere about the fixes for other people is working for me.

Whoa, the same identical problem as me, it is like you read my mind. The game worked fine until Sunday, and then Yesterday night when I tried loading up my second game with Arabia it always blocks at the leader screen. Did they patch something or what, so there is this issue?

In case anyone is looking at this, I thought I had fixed it. I was able to at least load once.

What I did was once again delete Civ6 from my PC, then I deleted the Civ6 folder in My Documents as well (After copying my save games out), and making sure the whole folder was gone from the Steam directory as well.

I then restarted my PC hoping that it would help clear Defender out of whatever crap it was stuck in, since the files and folders would not exist on startup anymore.

After I restarted my PC, I reinstalled Civ6 and then started it and created a new game, and it actually started this time.

Then I closed out, re-added my save games to the Save Folder in My Documents and then booted up the game again and it actually loaded the Save and I was able to play a few turns before I closed it again and retested it.

On the retest is where it failed and the game once again crashed at the same spot it had been.

I keep crashing at the leader loading screen as well. I haven't tried any of these steps because asking the game to actually start should not be such a difficult test for it.

My game seems to become unplayable with an issue connecting to My2K. It hangs for a while after the initial continue button is pushed and I receive the following.

Connection Issue

A connection to Civilization VI could not be established. Civilization VI features will not be accessible.

After I hit okay I am unable to connect manually and any attempt to play a game from save or new is stuck on the leader screen. I have tried the uninstall and reinstall but it appears that if there is an issue with this connection the game is unplayable for me.

I have been running into a similar issue on a work laptop when attempting to squeeze in a few turns during lunch hour.

Having investigated all the above separately I have found that disabling my network connections completely allows me to start/load a game. From this I believe the problem must lie in some connection that Civ VI makes to 2K during the loading of a game.

Now running the game without a network connection is not suitable for myself but I thought I would throw it out there to help any other people who are struggling to play.

I am going to investigate if the network issue is a windows firewall issue or some port configuration used by 2K that may be blocked by our work firewall.

Digi

Top Bottom