Soundtrack

citis

Deity
It is weird that I create a thread with this name given the developped soundtrack of this mod. But what is the soundtrack? Some pieces have no description, where are they from?
For example Gustav Adolph's music or Rurik's and so on.

There were a couple previous music and soundtrack threads, you can find some information there.
While I might remember where exactly I got some of the music if you ask for a couple of them specifically, but no promises for everything :)

Ohh and some of the tracks are from 3Miro or from Morholt. If they come without a description, I don't really know more about those than you.
Finding out what is it exactly has to be a community effort for those :)

Last edited:
Btw I added almost all soundtrack files 1-2 years ago.
The name for those are accurate in most cases, or it might point you in the right direction.
RFCEurope\Assets\Sounds\Soundtrack

For diplo music I have less information, the things I said in the previous post mostly applied here.
These are under RFCEurope\Assets\Sounds\Diplomacy, and the naming of the files tells us nothing there.

EDIT: After some quick search in the forum:
Venice: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=550800

EDIT2: Well, I thought there will be more threads about specific soundtracks :)
Nevertheless I remember many of them mentioned in various other threads, hidden deep in unrelated conversations.
Anyway it would be great to have a full, detailed list about soundtrack and diplomusic in the mod, so don't keep it to yourself if you know some of the music!

this means you like the music in the mod?

Yes. There are some cases in which it needs more variety, but yes I like it.

After some search I found out these for Novgorod:
From Alexander Nevsky (the movie):
Rurik: Arise Ye Russian People
Nevsky: Alexander's entry in pskov
Marfa: Russia under the mongolian yoke

I don't know about Gustav Adolph.

I'd be great if there was documentation for stuff like this somewhere, so that it doesn't get forgotten with time.

I'd be great if there was documentation for stuff like this somewhere, so that it doesn't get forgotten with time.

Yep, that's why I asked to collect everything we recognize

...And done.

Rhye's and Fall of Civiliztion: Europe (Civ IV mod) - soundtrack

Every song listed under "Assets > Sounds > Soundtrack" has been identified, located, (mostly) translated, and added to a single playlist for your listening pleasure.

There were two exceptions. I was unable to locate either:
  • The Dufay Collective version of "Mia irmana fremosa" ("My beautiful sister")
  • The St. George's Canzona version of "Polorum Regina" ("Queen of Pilgrims")
In both cases, I added another group's version of the same song, trying to pick one that most closely resembled the one used in RFCE.

I also added the antiphon "Salve Regina" to conclude the playlist, since it fits so well and it was used in the 'Sword of Islam' mod to represent the Crusader States.

Note that this playlist does not contain any of the songs listed in the "Sounds > Diplomacy" folder, most of which are still uncategorized, unorganized, and frankly rather scattershot. Getting those sorted out would be a considerably bigger project, I think. If there's interest, perhaps we could set that up as a megathread -- listing all the unidentified pieces in the first post, then inviting players to search and sort them out.

At any rate, I suggest that if we want to expand the mod's soundtrack, that we first look through the sources (artists and albums) to see what other songs would fit. That seems like the best way to make sure the mod maintains a consistent 'feel' and tone.

Last edited:
...And done.

Every song listed under "Assets > Sounds > Soundtrack" has been identified, located, (mostly) translated, and added to a single playlist for your listening pleasure.

I've actually decided to expand this playlist to include the full Medieval soundtrack from the base game, as well as any medieval European pieces that show up in 'Sword of Islam'. I should be able to finish up with that later today and link it in a separate post.

I am feeling torn about whether to include any of the Diplomatic music -- from some RFCE leaders, from the Christian civs in Sword of Islam, from the Medieval leaders in vanilla Civ IV and Beyond the Sword. This would require a lot more work, and I'm not at all confident that I'd be able to find all of the sources. Still, there are some very good pieces listed under Diplomacy.

One final thing:
At any rate, I suggest that if we want to expand the mod's soundtrack, that we first look through the sources (artists and albums) to see what other songs would fit. That seems like the best way to make sure the mod maintains a consistent 'feel' and tone.
I took my own advice, and now have a number of suggestions for additional music for the RFCE soundtrack. I tried to pick ones that were most distinctive or upbeat -- trying to avoid the tracks that just faded into the background.

("Dies Irae" -- one of the most famous Gregorian Chants in the repertoire)
("Non sofre Santa Maria")
("Pase el agoa, ma Julieta")
("My Heartly Service" - actually kind of hilarious)
("Corps Feminin")

I'll probably have more suggestions later on -- I've been listening to a lot of medieval music lately. :D

Last edited:
Reposting the final few links since they didn't display correctly (looks like there's a limit of 5 videos per post)

("Titurel: Sus lâgen sie unlange")
("O dulcissime amator")
("Cormacus scripsit")
("Novus miles sequitur")
("Absalon fili mi")

Round 3 of 'potential new music for soundtrack':

(Note: I'm not entirely 'sold' on all of these. I include the ones I do because they caught my attention in some way, or reflected something I think the soundtrack ought to reflect.)

("La sext estampie real")
("En l'anque chevalier")
("La dousa vota")
("Chevaliers, mully estes guariz")
("Pax in Nomine Domini")

Given that the scope of the mod goes to 1750 or so, I'd also strongly suggest we include some Baroque music on the soundtrack.

The base game includes several passages from Bach's Cello Suites -- those were composed between 1717-1723, so they'd fit within the scope of the mod. (Here's Yo Yo Ma's rendition of Suites No. 1, 5 and 6). Handel's "Water Music" dates from the same time, so that's another option.

On the other hand, we're trying to be original here... We might instead try something from Bach's "Well-Tempered Clavier" -- the Prelude & Fugue for c-minor is pretty thoroughly excellent and well-recognized, though not as mentally associated with the classical era and some of his other works. A similarly distinctive (and less 'classical'-sounding) choice would be Handel's "chicken coop fugue" from Concerto Grosso No. 6 or his Passacaglia theme-and-variations.

Here's a bunch of links and musical selections that might also work for various eras (including High Medieval)

Gregorian chant: Ave Maris Stella

Leonin (Ars Antiqua school) - "Viderunt omnes"
Guillaume de Machaut (Ars Nova school) - "Quant en moy"

Aquinas, Pange Lingua Gloriosi -- incredibly famous hymn, definitely worth including.

Josquin des Prez - "Petite Camusette"
Josquin des Prez - Ave Maris Stella mass
Thomas Weelkes - As Vesta was from Latmos Hill descending (hilariously literal use of music)

Henry Purcell, Rondeau
Rameau, Tambourin
Albinoni, Adagio in G minor
Jean-Baptiste Lully, Domine salvum fac regem
Jean-Baptiste Lully, Overture to Atys
Monteverdi, L'Orfeo: Prologue: Ritornello
Charpentier, Te Deum, Prelude
Mouret, Rondeau
Daquin, La Coucou

...And done.

There were two exceptions. I was unable to locate either:
  • The Dufay Collective version of "Mia irmana fremosa" ("My beautiful sister")
  • The St. George's Canzona version of "Polorum Regina" ("Queen of Pilgrims")
In both cases, I added another group's version of the same song, trying to pick one that most closely resembled the one used in RFCE.

I also added the antiphon "Salve Regina" to conclude the playlist, since it fits so well and it was used in the 'Sword of Islam' mod to represent the Crusader States.

Note that this playlist does not contain any of the songs listed in the "Sounds > Diplomacy" folder, most of which are still uncategorized, unorganized, and frankly rather scattershot. Getting those sorted out would be a considerably bigger project, I think. If there's interest, perhaps we could set that up as a megathread -- listing all the unidentified pieces in the first post, then inviting players to search and sort them out.

Once again, huge thanks for this :)
I can't access most of the videos on the link though.
Is it your own youtube channel?

Once again, huge thanks for this :)
I can't access most of the videos on the link though.
Is it your own youtube channel?
Huh. It is my own channel, but that's just the playlist -- the music itself comes from many other channels on YouTube. The problem might be an international thing (some videos can be played in the US that aren't permitted in foreign countries -- perhaps this includes Hungary?)

Were you having trouble with the videos from "____ - Topic" channels, or from the other ones? I mostly tried to find and pick music from "Topic" channels, which are auto-generated by YouTube once they receive permission from the producing company. I figured these would be the most likely to stick around without being removed or modified in future years.

On the other hand, the permission they receive might be limited. The description of Dum pater familias states:
Provided to YouTube by NAXOS of America
So perhaps the permissions are US-exclusive?

Is anyone else having trouble accessing the content for this or for my other Civ IV soundtrack playlist? (If you are having trouble: in what country are you listening to these videos, and which videos specifically are giving you trouble?)

Top Bottom