Civ VI won't start!

I also can not run Civ 6 on Steam, I tried everything, including the reinstallation of Windows, Vcredist, DirectX Graphic drivers, I have fully updated Windows 10/64
After starting on the Steam nothing happens, I've already sent three tickets to 2k.com including DXDiag and MSInfo, nobody on my third ticket did not answer

I had the same issue on Windows 10 PC. Solution for me:
  • Go to Programs and Features
  • Uninstall VC++ 2015 Redistributable - both x86 and x64 versions
  • Restart PC (to make sure Civ isn't running in background as it was for me originally - stops the VC++ package from installing properly)
  • Go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53840 and download x86 and x64 packages (your browser will want to download both - might have to give it permission)
  • NOTE: Make sure you get "Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable Update 3" - I originally tried this with a different version found through Googling and it did not help
  • Install the x86 package
  • Install the x64 package
  • Run Civ 6
Worked for me anyhow. Hopefully this helps someone.

This one worked for me! But the game takes 5 to 6 times longer to load now ... :(

I am about to finally install legal Window 10 in a day or two. (I am using window 7 pirate version 2015, and finally found a retail who sell legit window 10 at normal price)
I will report further if coming to the light side fix this problem.
They actually will give you a free legal copy of Windows 10. Just call customer service, put up with an annoying tech support with a strong accent, and wham they'll help you install windows 10 for free and legally. Idk if i sold my soul to them as a pirate or not but I think that doesn't bother me

I think Im just never gonna play it and grow up. I really get frustrated spending my one day off trying to no avail to make this work. I have tried every suggestion on the thread. The only thing promising is when it freezes during install of MVC++ with Win7_MSU_blah blah.

edit: I realize I am not contributing to solutions, I just feel the need to think I've been heard!! Thanks.
At least know your issue. Which is probably that your computer OS isn't up to date in some way

I'm just speaking as a successful frustrated Windows Civ VI player who managed to make it work with much hardships

I also geht the error "No compatible graphics device found. Please ensure that your system has a correctly configured, compatible graphics device." but my card does fulfill the minimum requirements. It's a Geforce 730. Other games requiring DirectX11 work with it.

The Civ 6 Renderer.log shows this: Renderer::EnumDisplayAdapters(): Available device: Microsoft Basic Render Driver (DeviceID = 8c SubsysID = 0 Revision= 0 Caps = 10)

Which doesn't make sense, since the latest Geforce Drivers (375.63) are installed and the card is working everywhere else.

I did try reinstalling DirectX and the VCredist-Files

It means you don't have the proper system requirements to run Civ VI. Civ VI is way more graphically demanding than Civ V and I recommend you either buy a graphics card, or a newer laptop

That's not necessarily accurate. I'm pretty sure my graphics card IS adequate but I get the same error message. Some one mentioned earlier it's because the game is defaulting to integrated graphics which will never be up to spec, they also posted a fix for nVidia users. I'm still trying to find a way to do the same thing with an AMD card.

That's not necessarily accurate. I'm pretty sure my graphics card IS adequate but I get the same error message. Some one mentioned earlier it's because the game is defaulting to integrated graphics which will never be up to spec, they also posted a fix for nVidia users. I'm still trying to find a way to do the same thing with an AMD card.
Right, I think there is a way to open steam games on minimum settings. You should try to look it up. Also, are you sure your graphics card is up to date? sometimes it needs new software updates you might not even know of.

Right, I think there is a way to open steam games on minimum settings. You should try to look it up. Also, are you sure your graphics card is up to date? sometimes it needs new software updates you might not even know of.
Hahaha honestly I don't even know anymore, as far as I can tell the issue with my graphics card is that while is does have the grunt to PLAY Civ 6 it is a tad on the old side and thus not supported for windows 10. After hours of headaches I've plain given up on trying to find a fix. Civ 6 will just have to wait til I rebuild my machine

Well after the update of the game the game is running now for me! Maybe cause it skipped those steps?

Before any of you do anything drastic like reinstalling stuff, make sure you try restarting your computer. I have had several failures that cleared up on restart.

OK, Legal Window 10 with latest window update. + clear install
It WORK!

(Although now my PC run like horsehocky, everything seem to only use 25 % CPU and never exceed that no matter how slow my computer is running, WTF microsoft? In pirate 7 I never have this issue?!)

Edit:
Wait, it no longer work!???
after closing the game and try to reopen it, now the steam launcher just keep blinking and nothing happen.

Edit 2:
Ok, restart steam and it continue to work.

Last edited:
Maybe a stupid question from a idiot who does not now programming one bit... Is there ever gonna be a "hot-fix" for this problem, that the game will not start for win 7?

A lot of you seems to be sort of computer wizards or something... Me? not so much... I have tried the few things I understand, but none of them work... the other things.. "C++,vr...(what???) and what not" I just don't get. Sorry... When the system requirements says windows 7, should it not just work for windows 7 then? An really... I should not have to buy a NEW computer for Civ VI to work, when it says "Win 7" in the requirements! (And yes! I´m upset!)

My civ couldn't start too, played around a bit nothing from the internet worked, all the download this and download that things turned out to be scams and viruses. My friend helped me a bit and we found out that doing this helps (I made a video on what I did in order to fix my game, and it worked, seems like steam didn't install directx properly)
Try it out it can't hurt and maybe it helps.

I fear tho that this post will be deleted as advertising :/ cuz it kinda is but I just want to help you guys it's not like Yo check out my sick playthru of CIV 6!
Hope you understand what I mean.

NOTE: This helped me fix the bug when you run the game and your steam icon goes green but the game crashes shortly after.I don't know if it fixes the graphic device/card issues!

Thanks a ton for this post, hope it will not be deleted bc it worked for me

If its the new launcher that is causing the game to not run as it was for me, note that you can skip the new crap launcher entirely by using the below in the games launch options window in Steam, change the drive letter to suit your games location on your computer obviously (insert the text complete with quotation marks and %command%):

For DX12-Version use: "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Binaries\Win64Steam\CivilizationVI_DX12.exe" %command%

For DX11-Version use: "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Binaries\Win64Steam\CivilizationVI.exe" %command%

This allowed my game to work again after the launcher completely stopped it from launching, can you can believe the stupidity of 2k. They are a bunch of complete idiots, thank god for the people who are knowledgable on Steam who fixured this out after 2k support were completey useless.

Top Bottom